Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

242 posts, read 596,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yes, better to stay indoors (as you stated). Also, in comparison to the high rate of skin cancer from being outdoors, it's actually safer to go to a tanning salon. Have you noticed how many tanning salons there are in the Phoenix area? A person actually stands less of a chance of getting skin cancer from one of the tanning beds than from being exposed to the direct sun (at least in Phoenix anyway).

I agree. It's really baffling how many people chose to move to the Phoenix area just becaue it's sunny most of the year ... or worse yet, how many people like to hike and sunbathe during the summer months when it's 110 degrees outside! It's so stupid and senseless. Sun exposure actually does more harm than good, especially in such a heavily sunny climate. I'll take my Vitamin D supplements and stay indoors where it's nice & cool.
You can get skin cancer from both a tanning salon and being out in the sun too long, it doesn't matter. Most people have told me a tanning salon is worse then just going outside and tanning outside.

If I start walking outside 20 minutes a day it takes a few days to get tanner then what I am (I am not a completely pale person until after winter).

True, my climate is not as sunny as yours and we usually are supposed to have building thunder clouds in the summer even without a chance of rain, today we don't though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I believe most people need 10-15 minutes of sun per day.

I'm sceptical about the claim that tanning salons are safer than the actual sun. No question that too much sun is dangerous, but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRuuPhibtoQ

Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 PM

242 posts, read 596,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

I'm sceptical about the claim that tanning salons are safer than the actual sun. No question that too much sun is dangerous, but still.

YouTube - Final Destination 3 - Ashley and Ashlynn's Death (Edited)
I opened this and flipped out at the scene, but didn't hurl, thankfully.
Warning- Not for you if you prefer tanning in a tanning bed, or if you are ten years old (before anybody says anything, I'm older then ten by half a decade).

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So you don't think any temps are too hot to be out in the sun?
Don't you live in NC?
If so, I'm sure you've seen plenty of low 100's F, perhaps 105+ F?

No such thing as too dark imho (acquired naturally ) just too red or moley.
Well, yeah, I'm African American My tan will never go away, LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
I opened this and flipped out at the scene, but didn't hurl, thankfully.
Warning- Not for you if you prefer tanning in a tanning bed, or if you are ten years old (before anybody says anything, I'm older then ten by half a decade).
I hate those movies. Not because they're bad, but because they're disturbing.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Hard to get that here.
We probably average 100 days a year with less than 10 minutes of bright sun.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Well, yeah, I'm African American My tan will never go away, LOL
Sweet.
Do you get much darker in summer?
From research I've done, it seems that most skin types, like "Latin" or darker they "tan-profusely."

Since we already have a video link that is a bit disturbing related to tanning, (but interesting too )

How about a song about melanin? This is one of my favourites.
The chorus is a little dull, but the verses are very witty, imho.
"...'Cuz everybody wanna be us. That's why they chill in the sunbeds..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCzugeSPPA

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-08-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Sweet.
Do you get much darker in summer?
From research I've done, it seems that most skin types, like "Latin" or darker they "tan-profusely."

Since we already have a video link that is a bit disturbing related to tanning, (but interesting too )

How about a song about melanin? This is one of my favourites.
The chorus is a little dull, but the verses are very witty, imho.
"...'Cuz everybody wanna be us. That's why they chill in the sunbeds..."

YouTube - JJC - We Are Africans
Thanks for that link. I just got from the gym and am tired as can be, but that song had me shakin' to the rhythm I've always had a dark complexion, but I participated in my high school's marching band for 2 years. Being out in the sun during the climax of band camp from 10 AM-8 PM for a few weeks really took its toll. I think my skin lightened a tad, but not that much after I left. I've heard of some darker skinned people tanning. My bf says Vivica A. Fox was very open about tanning on Oprah once, so there ya go, lol

Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
Here in South Florida suntanning must be done using great care. The sun is very intense and brutal down here and if you dont use a ton of sunscreen and restrict your time in sunlight, severe burning can result.

A previous poster said it gets up to 110 degrees with a 100% humidity down here----not quite. It does on an everyday basis get to 91-93 degrees with humidity levels of between 60-70 percent. That in turn makes the heat index around 105 to 108 consistently.

Some people from different parts of the country run to beach when they arrive here----the ocean beckons and they cant wait. Please be careful----use common sense and precautions when you go the beach here----it can be a burning experience.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Thanks for that link. I just got from the gym and am tired as can be, but that song had me shakin' to the rhythm
I think this rap artist may have been promoted with along with FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
I found it when I was searching for World Cup info.
Glad you liked it.

Quote:
I've always had a dark complexion, but I participated in my high school's marching band for 2 years. Being out in the sun during the climax of band camp from 10 AM-8 PM for a few weeks really took its toll. I think my skin lightened a tad, but not that much after I left. I've heard of some darker skinned people tanning. My bf says Vivica A. Fox was very open about tanning on Oprah once, so there ya go, lol
I always have a bit more tan on my forearms than my upper arms from years of wearing t-shirts,
so I can see that happening for you too, perhaps to a greater degree.

I can understand why black models might want to do some tanning,
like to even out their skin tone; otherwise their face and arms might be a lot darker, like a farmer's tan.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-08-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather