Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times

Advertisements

It's a matter of what is considered to be "average". I think CC's ranges aren't too bad. How does 15% annually and 5% in midwinter sound? (20-21% in "midsummer").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It's a matter of what is considered to be "average". I think CC's ranges aren't too bad. How does 15% annually and 5% in midwinter sound? (20-21% in "midsummer").
Sounds like a climate that would make anyone feel the way SAB does.

What I think is particularly bad about the months Toronto average 35% chance of sun is the temperatures at that time of year; when avg highs range between +6 C (44 F) and -2 C (28 F). So everyone has a coat and long pants on, and usually a hat, gloves and maybe a scarf too... And that's if they feel like going out to "brave the cold."

In a tropical environment, never-ending cloud may still look ugly, (Vietnam?)
but there could be enough UV from diffused sun to keep people from getting too grumpy,
especially since the weather would allow short sleeves in comfort.

I think most cities in New Zealand miss having months with avg chance of sun below 35%,
so I assume it would seem "quite cloudy" but hardly ever "excessively-cloudy" to the average person.
Is this correct?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think most cities in New Zealand miss having months with avg chance of sun below 35%,
so I assume it would seem "quite cloudy" but hardly ever "excessively-cloudy" to the average person.
Is this correct?
Most places on the South Island's west coast or south of Christchurch would have several months with < 35%. It's not called "the land of the long white cloud" for nothing!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Most places on the South Island's west coast or south of Christchurch would have several months with < 35%. It's not called "the land of the long white cloud" for nothing!
Not really. Over about 50 years Hokitika has averaged 44%-odd annually (50% Feb, 41% June, 45% Aug, 41% Oct), about the same as Timaru. Haast at the southern end of Westland has the same annual average, but the 3 winter months are over 48% and the minimum of 41% is in October.

Dunedin over a period or more than 80 years has averaged just over 40% annually (more over the last decade), with a small range from about 37.5% in December (!) to 42.5%. of the towns of any significance, only Invercargill has sub-35% months. Average annually for 75+ years there is 39% (again, more in the last 10 years or so), with 32% in May and 30% in June.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Not really. Over about 50 years Hokitika has averaged 44%-odd annually (50% Feb, 41% June, 45% Aug, 41% Oct), about the same as Timaru. Haast at the southern end of Westland has the same annual average, but the 3 winter months are over 48% and the minimum of 41% is in October.

Dunedin over a period or more than 80 years has averaged just over 40% annually (more over the last decade), with a small range from about 37.5% in December (!) to 42.5%. of the towns of any significance, only Invercargill has sub-35% months. Average annually for 75+ years there is 39% (again, more in the last 10 years or so), with 32% in May and 30% in June.
I believe Queenstown, Wanaka and Alexandra (and surely Te Anau and Milford Sound?) are under 35% all winter (and some of spring and autumn).

That's surprising about Hokitika. Doesn't it average about 3000 mm of rain per year?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:

That's what I meant, trying to get an idea of what "the average Kiwi" experiences.
Stills sounds like the bulk of the population lives in places that never reach 35% chance of sun or lower in any month.

How do your cloudiest months feel for the average Kiwi?
Excessively-cloudy and sunglasses are almost useless?
Or would "quite cloudy" be a better way to describe it?

Toronto averages 793 mm of annual precip.
How does our cloudiness vs. chance of sunshine sound compared with NZ?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
That's what I meant, trying to get an idea of what "the average Kiwi" experiences.
Stills sounds like the bulk of the population lives in places that never reach 35% chance of sun or lower in any month.

Here in Christchurch it tends to be either fully overcast or blue dome with not much of a middle ground (at least, that's how it's been lately).

Toronto has a little over 2000 sunshine hours per annum, which is about the same as Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Here in Christchurch it tends to be either fully overcast or blue dome with not much of a middle ground (at least, that's how it's been lately).

Toronto has a little over 2000 sunshine hours per annum, which is about the same as Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
Blue dome (does that mean 85+% clear?) is very rare here any time of year, but less rare in summer.

I know our annual sunshine levels are about the same,
but I wanted to know how long you'd go without seeing sun in winter.
Here two weeks without sun doesn't surprise anyone.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I believe Queenstown, Wanaka and Alexandra (and surely Te Anau and Milford Sound?) are under 35% all winter (and some of spring and autumn).

That's surprising about Hokitika. Doesn't it average about 3000 mm of rain per year?
No. you're overlooking the hill effects. One does not quote the astronomical %, but factors in the horizon loss due to obstructions of any kind that reduce the possible hours at the site. Queenstown (on the peninsula, where the daylight is longer but the mountains are still a formidable obstacle) has averaged out 55-57% of possible over a long timespan (some uncertainty because of varying local site conditions), not far short of Blenheim and Nelson at 58%-odd. In fact in November 1937 the total of 307 hours was probably about 84% of the possible, close to NZ's highest ever. Longterm values for Alexandra are about 40-41% for June and July (again, one has to allow for hills).

There is no sun data for Wanaka, but there is no reason to assume it would be very much different, perhaps near to Cromwell values at about 54-55%. There was data taken at Te Anau for about 10 years or so. There is some question about the site horizon values, but if correct it averaged about 41% annually, with under 35% in May-July (about 26% in June). No data for Milford. Again, values for Haast would suggest its %values would not be too bad.

There are a lot of wrong assumptions about the West Coast (often voiced to me by people from Canterbury). Hokitika can get plenty of sunshine in general S & E airflows, and on several occasions has had NZ's highest monthly total. In December 1960, it had 284 hours vs. Napier's 186. That year had unusual circulation anomalies and Hokitika's total was about 2107 hours, Napier's a record low for them with 1954. All part of NZ's maritime and tricky weather nature.

Hokitika averages about 2800mm per year, data back to the 1870s.

Last edited by RWood; 07-11-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Quite cloudy would be a reasonable description. But bear in mind NZ %values annually range from about 39 to over 58, and seasonal differences in the South Island are complicated with some areas having winter as their relatively sunniest season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather