Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather have it 100 or 0 (F)?
100 deg 55 57.89%
0 deg 40 42.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I grew up in an overall Mild climate (Cfa: NY, NJ, MD), hot Summers and coldish/coolish Winters, 100 is more common than 0 and I still choose 100.
Not here in NW New Jersey. Every winter we usually drop down to zero, at least once or twice. 100 F is much more rare. In the city though, 100 F may be more common.

Quote:
I've never felt 0 as an actual temperature but when it's windy all bets are off and the wind chill kicks in. I know I've probably felt a windchill around 0 before but in reality anything below 35 feels the about the same to me, it's just cold and I'm rushing to get somewhere warm.
Wearing a hooded sweatshirt and winter coat, I can feel pretty comfortable down to maybe 10 or 15 F. But anything lower can almost be painfully cold. There certainly is a major difference between 0 F and 35 F!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not here in NW New Jersey. Every winter we usually drop down to zero, at least once or twice. 100 F is much more rare. In the city though, 100 F may be more common.

Wearing a hooded sweatshirt and winter coat, I can feel pretty comfortable down to maybe 10 or 15 F. But anything lower can almost be painfully cold. There certainly is a major difference between 0 F and 35 F!
Wearing the same thing I'd probably be good to only 25 F tops, but my mind is scrambled because wind changes everything and I'm never really exposed to 20's for an extended period of time. 35 F with beaming sunshine and no wind at all isn't bad imo once it's already the dead of Winter, I can actually walk around with no hat on and my coat unzipped a little. However with wind I'm in my little "hut" with my head in my coat lol.

I don't know when's the last time we dropped to 0, Central Park did back in 2004 but we're usually warmer than the city in the Winter and about the same in the Summer.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
And 85 is well beyond my comfort zone, unless it's exceptionally un-humid and there's a good breeze and shade. I think different people have varying degrees of blood circulation which might cause some to experience greater discomfort in the hands and feet in cold weather. My brother loves cold weather like me, but his feet get cold far more easily than mine. And my hands seem to get cold more easily than his. But neither of us can take heat and humidity very well.
What do you consider exceptionally un-humid? It's on fairly un-humid (dewpoint 61°F) here but not exceptional for Massachusetts. Since you're from the South, perhaps that might be exceptional for you?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I can't remember any negative temperatures in Long Island, it must have happened a few times, but it's extremely rare. Where I am now averages 10 days/year of negative temperatures.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do you consider exceptionally un-humid? It's on fairly un-humid (dewpoint 61°F) here but not exceptional for Massachusetts. Since you're from the South, perhaps that might be exceptional for you?
A dew point of 61°F is definitely low in my mind, but I wouldn't call it exceptional. During summer our dew point seems to hover as low as 68 and as high as 76 with occasional exceptions on both ends. I can tell quite a difference between 68 and 61, but for me it doesn't get truly pleasant until the dew point gets down into the 50s, which is extremely rare during summer. A dew point of 50s or less is exceptional to me, and something I usually don't experience until winter. Also, if dew points were normally that low here in summer, I probably wouldn't even want to move so badly.

Relating more to some of the other comments on this page, I've lived in the same town my entire life, and I've seen the temperature drop as low as -14°F and go as high as 110-112°F. We usually top 100°F a few times per year (though we reach high 90s almost weekly it seems), and we'll usually drop below 10°F a couple of times.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wearing the same thing I'd probably be good to only 25 F tops, but my mind is scrambled because wind changes everything and I'm never really exposed to 20's for an extended period of time. 35 F with beaming sunshine and no wind at all isn't bad imo once it's already the dead of Winter, I can actually walk around with no hat on and my coat unzipped a little. However with wind I'm in my little "hut" with my head in my coat lol.
Lol. When it's windy out, a hooded sweatshirt hood and a winter jacket hood can be a lifesaver.

Quote:
I don't know when's the last time we dropped to 0, Central Park did back in 2004 but we're usually warmer than the city in the Winter and about the same in the Summer.
It doesn't seem to happen very often. During the coldest days of the winter, I would presume the city doesn't usually drop below 10 F on an average year.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can't remember any negative temperatures in Long Island, it must have happened a few times, but it's extremely rare. Where I am now averages 10 days/year of negative temperatures.
Not sure what the average is here, but it doesn't happen much. Just a few times per winter.

According to wunderground, our lowest temperature this year was 3 F. But in January of 09 we dropped all the way down to -14 F. I think that was the day I almost had frost bite.

In February 09 it dropped down to zero. March 09 was 7 F (which is pretty cold for March).

Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the average is here, but it doesn't happen much. Just a few times per winter.

According to wunderground, our lowest temperature this year was 3 F. But in January of 09 we dropped all the way down to -14 F. I think that was the day I almost had frost bite.

In February 09 it dropped down to zero. March 09 was 7 F (which is pretty cold for March).
I remember January 09 being cold. Went down to -15°F here, 2°F in Long Island.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,358 times
Zero degree for me, I'd rather be cold then hot any day of the week.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:37 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
He said cold weather climates choose 100 and hot weather climates choose 0 not the opposite.

I'm kinda wavering on it, but I picked 100. Either way I'll be inside with the AC or Heat on unless I'm doing something really fun outside that is with the heat or cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Nei said he thinks people that chose 0 are from hot climates...

I see you said the same thing Georgia Girl, but you beat me to it (by 1 minute).

I live in a hot climate and choose 100 but I grew up in a cold climate.
Sorry, I guess my dyslexia kicked in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather