Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

242 posts, read 595,082 times

Advertisements

I love summer.

YES, we get an excessive heat warning as soon as the heat index is at 110+. No watch, straight to warning.

Flippin' ridiculous, the THIRD heat wave this summer. Normally we may just get 1 heat wave, maybe 2. After 2007, in 2008 we had maybe 1 day close to heat advisory conditions and no days in 2009. Paying for it this year. What is worse is the ocean will not be refreshing when I get to the beach at the end of my summer vacation. (I only like hot tub like water in fall and winter)
I'd rather have a summer between 60 and 75 and then occasional 90 degree days then this type of summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,012,715 times
Lucky you. Here in Wanxton we have a forecast for a "dirty high" set up with north westerly cold winds. Dirty high means high pressure but cloudy sky. Just as pointless as the pathetic drizzle which has dominated thus far.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM

Thats not luck for me until I go to the beach (which there, on the coast, is easily 10 degrees cooler). Fact I hate heat unless I can spend my entire day at a beach or pool because I'll be moments away from passing out if its hot enough if I have to be outside long. I don't care for hot water at a beach either.

My family from Ohio that moved here a long time ago also hates heat and some of them hates the cold.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,695,189 times
Even though I've seen higher temperatures than I have this summer, overall this has been one of the hottest summers I can remember. Almost every day since the end of May we've been closer to our record highs than to our average highs. Plus we started getting highs in the 80s in late March-early April this year, which is atrocious. Yesterday I found a picture of my back yard on my cell phone, and I distinctly remember that day. My brother was in the yard working on something and I came out to see what he was up to. I specifically remember it being uncomfortably warm that day, and that was about the only time I set foot outdoors all day because it was too warm. Then I look at the date on the picture: April 4th. I also found some pictures from mid-March when my friend and I started our garden in my yard, and we were in jeans and tshirts and I was sweating considerably. This is going to be a 7+ month summer, as if the usual 6 months isn't already too long. It's already felt like summer to me for almost 5 months! And we still have all of August and September, and if we're lucky only half of October.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Even though I've seen higher temperatures than I have this summer, overall this has been one of the hottest summers I can remember. Almost every day since the end of May we've been closer to our record highs than to our average highs. Plus we started getting highs in the 80s in late March-early April this year, which is atrocious. Yesterday I found a picture of my back yard on my cell phone, and I distinctly remember that day. My brother was in the yard working on something and I came out to see what he was up to. I specifically remember it being uncomfortably warm that day, and that was about the only time I set foot outdoors all day because it was too warm. Then I look at the date on the picture: April 4th. I also found some pictures from mid-March when my friend and I started our garden in my yard, and we were in jeans and tshirts and I was sweating considerably. This is going to be a 7+ month summer, as if the usual 6 months isn't already too long. It's already felt like summer to me for almost 5 months! And we still have all of August and September, and if we're lucky only half of October.
If this is going to follow 07's pattern, I think we aren't getting relief until mid-late October and August will be worse then what it was in 2007. 80s are fine once I'm adjusted, but I hate them in Spring. Low 90s are just barely in my comfort zone, and once its above 95, I'm not very comfortable outside.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,733,068 times
I like 80's F even winter,
but in my climate it's never warm enough for long enough.
I'll take heat whenever it's available.

On topic:

I saw on CNN they showed most of the eastern US is getting highs close to 100 F today, even NYC is high 90's F.
Here in Toronto, mostly cloudy w/ chance of t-storms, high of 84-85 F.
Today our low was 73 F with 100% humidity; comfy, not too cool, so I'm happy about that.
Today would be a good day for a day trip to the USA, but it's a bit late to plan.

We've only had 9 days this year at 86+ F.
But at least our lows have been nice since early July 63-70 F most days.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Here in Toronto, mostly cloudy w/ chance of t-storms, high of 84-85 F.
Several times recently our weather forecast matched this nearly exactly. The difference is, here it almost always turns out to be 94-95 instead and extremely humid, and half the time with no rain at all. It's incredibly frustrating when it looks like we'll actually get some relief, and it turns out to be even worse than the previous day!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,733,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Several times recently our weather forecast matched this nearly exactly. The difference is, here it almost always turns out to be 94-95 instead and extremely humid, and half the time with no rain at all. It's incredibly frustrating when it looks like we'll actually get some relief, and it turns out to be even worse than the previous day!
About 1/3 to 1/4 of the time we have no precip when they forecast t-storms,
but we're so green and damp lately we don't need any extra rain.

I dislike all the rain and cloud,
but a perk is everything looks good,
even trees varieties that don't handle drought in our city parks look peculiarly flawless
rather than a bit "tired" looking; leaves being curly with some yellow spots.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 AM

We get plenty of rain year-round, and our rainfall is pretty consistent month to month. We average about 10-12 inches more rain per year than Seattle, but most of ours comes in large quantities at once in the form of storms and heavy showers. We don't have a lot of light, drizzly, wet days, especially during summer. It's all or nothing!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Today had lower heat indexes so none of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather