Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Regardless of weather taste, I think cold winters are unhealthier. Don't more people get sick in the winter? It's partly from the fact the heat dries people out making it harder for people to get sick and people are inside more.

Hot humid days seem to bring smog and bad air quality days.

Btw, what elevation do you live at? Sometimes it seems like your numbers are slightly cooler than where I live, even though you're further south.
Yeah but it isn't the weather that is necessarily causing more sickness during the winter. Its the fact that people stay cooped up inside for several months without letting any new air in. Of course if you're not prepared for cold weather, you can get sick if outdoors for too long. But unless it's 40 below outside, its a good idea to crack open the windows, even if it is just for a couple of minutes. Obviously you should plan accordingly by turning the heat down. We tend to do this when the kitchen gets hot from cooking and or baking and after showering (old house with no vents).

There only seems to be "air quality alerts" during the summer. Hot, humid air mixed with a little pollution is a bad combo. Even out here in the sticks the air can become unhealthy when it gets too hot. I just personally think that air quality is poorer during the summer than in the winter. JMO.

The highest elevation in my town is around 1300 feet I think. The highest elevation in New Jersey is here in Sussex County, at 1803 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Last October I moved all the way from the New York City area where it's been a humid ninety-five almost every day this month to coastal California & I am amazed at how much better I feel healthwise.

Here it is rarely above the mid seventies in the summer nor below the fifties in the winter. We do not need a/c here because the ocean is the air conditioner & you need a blanket to sleep even in July. It does rain, but rarely (but it is very green here because there are three rainy months in winter ) . Of course, it never snows and there is no ice or anything.
The air quality here is wonderful and there is no smog. Are some areas of the country wihch are considered more healthful or is it just a matter of choice? What do you all think?
This is a summer, like no other, for me. Even with sunshine, the depression, of to much rain, and destructive flooding has not been good, for my "general" happiness.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
This is a summer, like no other, for me. Even with sunshine, the depression, of to much rain, and destructive flooding has not been good, for my "general" happiness.
The WGN weather blog for Chicago cites a bizarre humid July with very high rainfall, one of the warmest on record with the longest ever string of temperatures over 80F, yet 73% sunshine.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:27 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah but it isn't the weather that is necessarily causing more sickness during the winter. Its the fact that people stay cooped up inside for several months without letting any new air in. Of course if you're not prepared for cold weather, you can get sick if outdoors for too long. But unless it's 40 below outside, its a good idea to crack open the windows, even if it is just for a couple of minutes. .
I go outside a lot; the door opening and closing as I enter and exit is plenty of "fresh air" for the house for me when it's cold out.
Some people get tired of "always" breathing indoor air. But they probably spend a lot of whole days inside, not like me.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I go outside a lot; the door opening and closing as I enter and exit is plenty of "fresh air" for the house for me when it's cold out.
Some people get tired of "always" breathing indoor air. But they probably spend a lot of whole days inside, not like me.
Throw on a parka and leave the door open for a few minutes, lol jk.

Yeah I usually have no reason to be outside for long periods of time. As unpleasant as the stale air gets, I'd still rather be working indoors rather than outdoors.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah I usually have no reason to be outside for long periods of time. As unpleasant as the stale air gets, I'd still rather be working indoors rather than outdoors.
At 20 F (-7 C) a half-hour feels like a long period of time.

I also prefer moderate staleness being indoors and windows shut instead of cold-pain.

As I've said earlier, if energy was plentiful and dirt-cheap
I'd leave the thermostat at 80-82 F and have windows open for some freshness.
Could probably do that comfy with windows cracked 1/4" open in 20 F weather.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

As I've said earlier, if energy was plentiful and dirt-cheap
I'd leave the thermostat at 80-82 F and have windows open for some freshness.
Could probably do that comfy with windows cracked 1/4" open in 20 F weather.
That reminds me of living in dorms in college. Some of them were way overheated, and we would often have the windows open at night on 20F night. I don't think it was really 80-82, probably 75 at inside, but without wearing summer clothing and feeling cold outside all the time it felt hot. Sometimes it felt nice though not have to dress warmly in the morning, but other times I thought it was a bit much. I remember we would need 0F nights for it get on the coolish side.

Worse was the time I lived in a dorm in A/C. We had the windows open the whole time it was on but it would never warm up enough.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,206 times
I'm guessing the most healthy climate would be similar to the Canaries? Averages of 21C/70F in winter, and 26C/80F in late summer (though occasional blasts of heat can send the temperature above 38C/100F). Generally low humidity with a light breeze year round, less than 35 days per year with precipitation at sea level.

Las Palmas has been named the best climate in the world.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
I'm guessing the most healthy climate would be similar to the Canaries? Averages of 21C/70F in winter, and 26C/80F in late summer (though occasional blasts of heat can send the temperature above 38C/100F). Generally low humidity with a light breeze year round, less than 35 days per year with precipitation at sea level.

Las Palmas has been named the best climate in the world.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The US Government claims Redwood City, a suburb of San Francisco, has the best climate. The city has a sign saying "Climate Best By Government Test"

Redwood City, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a bit chillier than the Canary Islands, but the summers might feel nicer to most people.

found this from a website:

So who exactly performed this government test? Starting before World War I, the United States and German governments began conducting climate surveys and gathering meteorological data. Their findings revealed Redwood City to be at the center of one of the world's three best climates (The other two? The Canary Islands and the Mediterranean Coast of North Africa). These findings were printed by local newspapers and read by a happy public delighted to discover their climate to be the best by government test.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That reminds me of living in dorms in college. Some of them were way overheated, and we would often have the windows open at night on 20F night. I don't think it was really 80-82, probably 75 at inside, but without wearing summer clothing and feeling cold outside all the time it felt hot. Sometimes it felt nice though not have to dress warmly in the morning, but other times I thought it was a bit much. I remember we would need 0F nights for it get on the coolish side.

Worse was the time I lived in a dorm in A/C. We had the windows open the whole time it was on but it would never warm up enough.
I would probably like that.
I hate not dressing warmish below 75 F indoors, and can "handle" warm clothing up to 79 F.

I would rather there be zero need for warm clothing inside,
and as you get dressed to go outside, all your winter clothing is pre-warmed, feeling close to body-temp already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather