Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:32 PM

64 posts, read 231,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Today wine grapes are grown in England, something that was almost not done just a few centuries ago due to a different climate. So I think anything is possible.
Not only today. In the climatic optimum (about 1000-1300), temperatures were far hotter than today. Wine wasn't rare in England or Northern Germany (but probably less extend than it is sometimes said), and even in some well-exposed and sheltered slopes of Scotland. Don't forget than Groenland meaned "Greenland". I'm not sure that we can find a lot of "green" pastures for cattle there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pteranodon View Post
Not only today. In the climatic optimum (about 1000-1300), temperatures were far hotter than today. Wine wasn't rare in England or Northern Germany (but probably less extend than it is sometimes said), and even in some well-exposed and sheltered slopes of Scotland. Don't forget than Groenland meaned "Greenland". I'm not sure that we can find a lot of "green" pastures for cattle there now.
Actually nowadays there are lots of green pastures in Greenland and quite a few sheep.. the days of the Medieval Climatic Optimum are already upon us in the northern latitudes and it appears that it will just get warmer.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually nowadays there are lots of green pastures in Greenland and quite a few sheep.. the days of the Medieval Climatic Optimum are already upon us in the northern latitudes and it appears that it will just get warmer.
Seems like more of a good thing than a bad thing. Apparently ships can now take a shorter route through northern waters that were previously frozen over in winter.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Not to be the dissenter…I’m all for a warming climate (err…well..not really, it’s a little scary)…but all of these things we have seen before:

There was a period of time when Greenland was warmer and colonies flourished on the southern margins. Green fields dotted the tip of southern Greenland. Then after a period of very severe winters, farming and even colonies dissapeared. Find the National Geographic Mag from the past few months: Green fields have returned to Greenland - they have small farms now! After the winters from 1830 to 1860’s growing wine grapes all but disappeared from the NYC/Long Island area…only to come storming back in the 1920’s thought the 1950’s. Then when two decades of severe eastern USA winters set in (the 1960’s and 1970’s) wine growers on Long Island almost gave up. Now today (1990’s 2010) wine grapes are again flourishing on Long Island. Look at oranges: After pushing the orange groves all the way to the Georgia border in the early 1800’s (they were actually trying to establish orange orchids outside Savannah and Mobile in the early 1800’s)…the severe winters and cold years of the 1830 to 1860’s pushed orange production all the way to south of Orlando. In anticipation of lining up with Flagger’s new East Coast Railway …orange growers pushed back northeast after the mild winters in the 1870’s and 1880’s to near the St. Johns River 50-miles south of Jacksonville. Cold/severe winters in the 1890's started to make the northern most orange grovers struggle...and then the great cold wave of 1899 was the icing on the cake: every single orange grove north of Lake O went out of business. Now, after the warm decades of the 1980’s to 2010…they are trying once again to push the orange groves back up into north central Florida. The mean line has been moving north/south across about 200 miles for 250 years… I suspect it will for another 250 years.

Europe and the United States had many centuries of warmer /colder than normal conditions that pushed agricultural conditions north/south…but they always generally returned so some rough mean zone. With the exception of the last glacial period – 12,000 years ago (and even then “seasonal” ice never made it south of 40-45 north latitude)…the climate of the world has been pretty stable.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM

64 posts, read 231,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
the days of the Medieval Climatic Optimum are already upon us in the northern latitudes and it appears that it will just get warmer.
For the moment, the northern limit of the wine is still below the medieval one (I had found texts on the net - fakes ? - about wine culture in Danemark) ; and in France, we have not yet wine in Northern regions, while some local places names seem to reveal that wine grew in those regions in Middle-age.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Chicago, Michigan, Toronto, & Nova Scotia Cfa???

O_O

Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
at the rate we are spewing crap in the atmoshere i doubt that the climate will resemble anything like todays climate.. you can only guess none of us will be around in a 100 years..
That would be awesome!
Hope I live long enough to see it.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That would be awesome!
Hope I live long enough to see it.
How is that awesome? I would rather be heading towards another ice age.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
How is that awesome? I would rather be heading towards another ice age.
Our entire nation has disappointing climate stats. How could they get worse?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Our entire nation has disappointing climate stats. How could they get worse?
Well it's certainly subjective. Although I can understand why you're not a fan of Canada's climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather