Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

When I'm sweating and exposed to heat and sun for a prolonged period of time, that's when I usually feel uncomfortable.
There were a few days this year where I felt like I was on the verge of heat stroke.
Only times this year I felt I could be on the verge of heat stroke was:

-RUNNING in 94 F with 61% RH (when my heartrate passed 155 beats per minute after 5 minutes, that was a bit much. )

- working somewhere for maybe 40 minutes that a thermometer said it was 106-108 F inside, with hotter puddles on the floor while carrying a hot light to see what I'm doing.

But going for a slow walk at 94 F with 61% humidity out in the sun with a light breeze has no "risk of heat illness" for me.
Ditto for just sitting in a parked car, windows up on a 94 F day, assuming I have something to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

-RUNNING in 94 F with 61% RH (when my heartrate passed 155 beats per minute after 5 minutes, that was a bit much. )

- working somewhere for maybe 40 minutes that a thermometer said it was 106-108 F inside, with hotter puddles on the floor while carrying a hot light to see what I'm doing.

But going for a slow walk at 94 F with 61% humidity out in the sun with a light breeze has no "risk of heat illness" for me.
Ditto for just sitting in a parked car, windows up on a 94 F day, assuming I have something to drink.
CC, you are much more heat tolerant than probably 99.9% of us southerners!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Up here in the Red River valley of the north....rural folks and farmers make the most preparations. My in-laws south of Minot would put up the snow fences along their driveway and overall get the hay and extra food set up for the horses.

In the cities, like I live in, not too much other than bringing in any hoses and getting the flowers pulled up. I switch out the snow blower and lawn mower and have someone pick it up to tune it up. We buy new winter clothes for our ever growing kids with focus on snow pants, gloves and hats. Check battery in car to see if new one is needed.

The trickest part is shoveling the snow after the first snowfall and knowing where to pile it up away from the edges of the driveway. But it never fails that my 3 car wide end of the driveway become 1 1/2 car width wide by February

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
No we don't prepare. Some years we don't even see a frost.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:

Just standing outside in 94 F heat could cause me to sweat.

As for the car, I can't imagine how you handle sitting in one with the windows rolled up. The temperature could easily be 20 F hotter inside. Today it was only in the mid 70s, but when I went in my car, it was very hot inside.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
CC, you are much more heat tolerant than probably 99.9% of us southerners!
Really? Serious?

Those descriptions were what was getting ridiculous, not what I prefer btw.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Just standing outside in 94 F heat could cause me to sweat.

As for the car, I can't imagine how you handle sitting in one with the windows rolled up. The temperature could easily be 20 F hotter inside. Today it was only in the mid 70s, but when I went in my car, it was very hot inside.
94 F causes me to sweat a little too,
but with a low heart rate (under 100 beats-per-minute) it won't cause me much heat stress.
Besides I usually find my sweat prevents my core from becoming uncomfortable.

Yeah, but I can sit in a 145 F dry-sauna for 20 minutes without drinking water, longer with water.
At 94 F, the parked car might have only been 125-135 F, which imho is easy to handle when you aren't really doing anything.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I buy my travellers insurance and my ticket to Florida.LOL
I was really just kidding about that. It's what i'd like to do though. My wife and I have very weird winters. We are long distance truckers and we go from - 30 or colder up in the north to 90 or more in the south. To tell you the truth I like and tolerate the cold much better than the heat. We will sleep in our truck with no heat on no matter how cold it gets. The only reason we might get up in the middle of the night to turn the truck on is because it might not start in the morning if it gets too cold. When I look down at my wife in the lower bunk in the morning She usually has two big lumps under the covers with her. She calls them her furry dog furnaces and they really keep her warm. Me, I have the thickest down duvet you have ever seen. It must have taken a whole flock of geese to make it. I'm always toasty as long as I wear a hat to bed.

Last winter we got stuck in the south of Texas for 4 days waiting on a load. It was so hot I could not believe it. We did not turn the truck off for the whole 4 days. It was OK in the truck with the AC running. I had to force the dogs out to do their business and they didn't want anything to do with that heat. As far as the weather goes I think the Carolinas have it the best. Not too cold in the winter and cool up in the mountains in the summer. I just love NC and SC.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Some areas of NC are the most foggiest in the US during winter.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:

Yeah, but I can sit in a 145 F dry-sauna for 20 minutes without drinking water, longer with water.
At 94 F, the parked car might have only been 125-135 F, which imho is easy to handle when you aren't really doing anything.
My goodness. I almost feel like I'm going to suffocate when it reaches that temperature in my car. I instantly start sweating. It's very uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather