U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,648,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Is this earthquake in New Zealand a mere coincidence? What about all the others around the globe? Jesus gave us an idea.

Luke 21
[11] And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
No deities involved, they don't exist, they cannot control the movement of tectonic plates, take your 'end of times nonsense' else where.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,605,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I wrote about this in another thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austr...-2-hits-2.html

Thanks for your concern everyone. This is probably the most exciting thing to ever happen here!

We weren't hit too badly. The insurance should cover what little damage there is here. My uncle was a lot worse off. He lost several bottles from his whiskey collection (that he had been aging for a long time). They shattered and spilled onto the tiled floor. As they have underfloor heating the whiskey evaporated and now the whole house smells of whiskey!

It's unfortunate that no one cares about the nine people who were killed in a plane crash on the West Coast -- this is easily a far worse disaster, but they only get a minute or two in the news because their deaths happened to coincide with this relative triviality.
Triviality? Huge property damage, the bill will probably end up around the $2 billion mark. My brother was lucky his old house seems to be unscathed, but I already know of several acquaintances and internet friends who have have suffered massive damage. The central city buildings - the older ones - have taken a major hit.

The plane crash was tragic, but such events with light aircraft are far from uncommon. It also got plenty of news coverage.

I think your remarks border on the offensive and should be withdrawn!!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Is this earthquake in New Zealand a mere coincidence? What about all the others around the globe? Jesus gave us an idea.

Luke 21
[11] And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
Doomsday rubbish - go away.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:56 PM

914 posts, read 1,749,713 times
In addition to the quake and its aftershocks there will also be weather happening in Christchurch; in fact the front the Met Service predicted since yesterday has - or is about to - pass through the Canterbury region and is expected to bring gale force winds. The worst reading I could find for Christchurch proper was about 40 KMPH sustained but that's still about 32 MPH to us heathens and that's enough to knock small branches off trees - or brickwork still hanging on by a thread. Following that is what folks in NZ call a "southerly change". In late winter or early spring this can mean a dramatic drop in temperatures, more wind and rain or - sometimes - snow. This will be in CC's immediate future and improving conditions are probably two to three days away.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 PM

914 posts, read 1,749,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Triviality? Huge property damage, the bill will probably end up around the $2 billion mark. My brother was lucky his old house seems to be unscathed, but I already know of several acquaintances and internet friends who have have suffered massive damage. The central city buildings - the older ones - have taken a major hit.

The plane crash was tragic, but such events with light aircraft are far from uncommon. It also got plenty of news coverage.

I think your remarks border on the offensive and should be withdrawn!!

Did you feel anything out your way? I have heard folks as far away as Queenstown and Dunedin the other way were shaken.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Did you feel anything out your way? I have heard folks as far away as Queenstown and Dunedin the other way were shaken.
Enough to be woken in the middle of the night, but by then things were quiet, so had no idea of the event till later.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,085,081 times
Please take this discussion to the New Zealand Forum.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.