Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times

Advertisements

I noticed something peculiar.

Clear day in early Sep, say Sep 2-3rd the UV max was still hitting "8"
This is about 20 days before the Autumn equinox.

20 days after the Spring Equinox would bring you to April 11-12th.
The UV max on a clear day that time of year is like 5, maybe 6.
Our first UV max of 8 "always" seems to happen after May 1st, perhaps as early as the last 3-4 days of April.

And the dewpoints in mid-April are a lot lower than in early Sep.

Does this have to do with the sun being closer to the earth in the northern hemisphere summer?

Is the sun angle higher 20 days before the autumn equinox vs. 20 days after the spring equinox?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM

No guesses?

I'm not sure, but it seems like the max UV could be higher on Sep 21st than Mar 21st.

I believe I have seen UV of 4-5 in early October,
which would be in-synch with early March, but the UV is never that high that early.

Again, moisture content in the air would be lower in March,
so it's weird that we see the reverse when it comes to UV forecasts.

Also, August usually has UV maxes on clear days of 8-9;
nearly the same as June which is mostly 9, with some 8's and the rare 10.

I don't understand the reason for this "seasonal lag" in sunshine intensity.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 AM

I'm disappointed in you all.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,309,974 times
Hmm...you got me.

...but I'll find out.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Hmm...you got me.

...but I'll find out.
Thanks.

I know we have some weather experts on the board,
and a few amateur weather fans that know more about weather than I do.

DaninEFG sounds brilliant and is a meteorologist, but I haven't seen him post in a while.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM

15,317 posts, read 17,142,263 times
I'm guessing because the sun is "stronger" as we transition from summer to fall than it is when we transition from winter to spring. I think that's partly why September is much warmer than March.

Complete guess on my part. Could be wrong.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the sun is actually closer to the Earth in the Northern Hemisphere winter than in the summer. Due to this, the Earth gets a slightly higher dose of UV rays in the Northern Hemisphere... I'm probably completely wrong on this but it's my best guess.
It also explains why generally in the southern hemisphere the UV indices are a bit stronger during summer than in the Northern Hemisphere (in addition to the weaker ozone layer at higher latitudes in the southern hemisphere).

Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,272 times
I guess you would get max UV when the combination of the proximity to the sun and the solar noon angle yields the most intense radiation.

Toronto UV indices are highest during June - July, as you would expect: http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...io/toronto.php

Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I guess you would get max UV when the combination of the proximity to the sun and the solar noon angle yields the most intense radiation.

Toronto UV indices are highest during June - July, as you would expect: Toronto Climate Guide, Ontario - Weather2Travel.com
If someone can find out how much difference the distance to the sun makes, and details of its track, it'd be appreciated.

Unrelated,
I can see now why our summers are prone to so much rain and cloud; avg of 15 days with some precip May-Jun.
Our swimming season sure looks short!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
If someone can find out how much difference the distance to the sun makes, and details of its track, it'd be appreciated.

Unrelated,
I can see now why our summers are prone to so much rain and cloud; avg of 15 days with some precip May-Jun.
Our swimming season sure looks short!
According to Wikipedia, the Earth makes its closest approach to the sun around January 3 (Perihelion) and its furthest approach around July 4 (Aphelion). The difference between the two is approximately 5 million kilometres which translates roughly to a difference of 6.9% of solar energy reaching the Earth. To me, that's a significant difference. It could account for the discrepancy for the varying levels of UV radiation.

Earth's orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather