Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have finally upgraded my brick of a mobile and splashed out on a new IPhone 4 . It is a very cool toy - the apps really make it IMO and it even makes and receives phone calls....!

I have been scouring the web for good weather and climate apps. So far I have downloaded the following (either free or very low cost):

1) Climate Eye
2) Our Climate
3) WeatherBug
4) WeatherEye

Plus of course the standard (pre-loaded) Weather app.

What I am after is an all encompassing app that provides a medium to long rage forecast by major city, and one that provides historical climate data by location with stats such as min, max temp, rainfall and sunshine hours for each month.

Climate Eye comes closest but for some reason, does not provide more than a day in advance forecast for Sydney, but it covers the historical climate trends data, although no sunshine stats . The interface is nice to look at though.

Our Climate is really just a vehicle for climate change debate with quizzes, graphs, factual info etc.

WeatherBug just provides forecast data but Sydney's 7 day forecast is completely different to that of BOM so not sure I can trust it (and unsure of its sources either).

WeatherEye again just provides forecast data but frustratingly, like Climate Eye, only provides the current day forecast for Sydney so not a lot of use really.

ideally the app I am after would be all the best bits of Bureau of Meteorology - Home Page ie the long term trends data plus the forecasting side.

Any thoughts around climate/weather apps would be welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Shockingly there's really no good Weather apps for the iPhone. I have The Weather Channel's app (the free one) & Accuweather (the free one) as well as the apps you have. They get the job done but they're not too visually appealing, especially because of the ads. I was looking into Weather HD.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Thanks - I just think there is loads of potential to have a really good all encompassing weather/climate app combining facts and forecasting .

Surprising there isn't one (or at least I am not aware of - I have been trawling the net for quite awhile now) - weird when there are dozens of silly (but amusing) apps such as farting applications

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Weather Alert USA by Softpeas is quite good. It is an all inclusive NOAA app.

Radarscope by Base Velocity LLC allows one to pick any radar in the USA and zoom in on it in real time.

Boltmeter Lightning from Allison House,LLC (the people behind Spotter Network) allows one to track lightning strikes in real time by direction and proximity to your own location when the GPS on your phone is enabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather