U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM

15,261 posts, read 15,005,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
96 F/36 C isn't very hot to me...
I've done constructions work at a site around Toronto, sunrise-to-sunset at a site that had zero shade and 36 C and I was fine.
Only time it's risky is being dehydrated, and my iced-drink preference would make that comfy.

If I wanted very-hot, I would have said 103-109 F (39-43 C)
96F/36 C is just "modertate-yet-distinctly-hot."

I suspect deneb78's preference is hotter than mine, plugged into a heat index calculator.
I've worked outside in 96 F for about nine or ten hours and it was no picnic. Constantly drinking water, sweating, and dealing with the intense sunshine. Luckily this year when it reached the mid-90s it was a dry heat. I have worked in 90 F with high humidity and sunshine and that felt equally, if not more miserable.

Interesting to hear you do construction. My father is a contractor and has a strong opinion about weather conditions. Whenever it's supposed to be "extremely" hot, he'll usually start working around sunrise and leave by midday. Needless to say, fall and spring offer the best working conditions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,444,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Imagine a genie in a bottle allows you to determine the basic weather conditions (temp, humidity, cloud cover, wind and rain) and that these conditions will then persist forever. What parameters do you choose?

Here's my choice:

25 C / 77 F
55% humidity
2 oktas cloud cover
15 km/hr / 9 mph wind
No rain
Almost everyone will think I'm nuts, but this is what I would LOVE to have! I am not your typical weather fan. I am a private pilot and love instrument flying weather so I of course think of the weather in 3D

Here is what would be perfect to fly in!

1) Temperatures in the lower 60's on the ground with a freezing level at 12,000ft or higher.

2) 99 or 100% RH

3) 200 ft cloud ceilings and 1/2 mile visibility, with a few well defined stratiform cloud layers above that with the cloud tops at 10,000. (OMG, it looks beautiful if you've ever flown between 2 cloud decks!)

4) Surface winds gusting to 40 mph.

5) Pouring rain

Here is what I would like from a non-aviation point of view:

1) -20 to -40F

2) not a cloud in the sky

3) Calm wind

Of course I'd want a Canada Goose Parka that can handle those temps. If I had that I'd be toasty warm even standing still.

Last edited by papafox; 10-15-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,689,559 times
One of posters here set some criteria based on season of the year to rate "ideal conditions". I will do the same.

Dec-early March: Sunny to partly cloudy, maximum temperature around 55 degrees (13 C) and minimum about 35 (1.something C).

Early march to mid April: Mostly sunny with temperatures ranging from 59/40 early (15/4.5 C) to around 72/45 (22 or so/7 C).

Mid April thru June: Sunshine. Temperature ranges from 72/45 to 82/50 (22+/7 to 27.5/10).

July 'til the end of September: Brilliant sunshine; less than 10% cloud cover. Max temps around 86 (30 C) and minimums dropping to about 55 (13).

October and November: Partly sunny to partly cloudy. Temperatures falling from the eighties to the sixties for highs (27-30 C to 15-17 or so C) to the low 40's (5 to 7 C).

Notice I did not mention rain. If I had my "druthers" it never would. But all sunshine makes a desert and I don't like that either. If We were to include rain in the criteria, I would prefer the wet season (mid Oct to mid April) still to be just as wet but with rain falling far less frequently.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
One of posters here set some criteria based on season of the year to rate "ideal conditions". I will do the same.

Dec-early March: Sunny to partly cloudy, maximum temperature around 55 degrees (13 C) and minimum about 35 (1.something C).

Early march to mid April: Mostly sunny with temperatures ranging from 59/40 early (15/4.5 C) to around 72/45 (22 or so/7 C).

Mid April thru June: Sunshine. Temperature ranges from 72/45 to 82/50 (22+/7 to 27.5/10).

July 'til the end of September: Brilliant sunshine; less than 10% cloud cover. Max temps around 86 (30 C) and minimums dropping to about 55 (13).

October and November: Partly sunny to partly cloudy. Temperatures falling from the eighties to the sixties for highs (27-30 C to 15-17 or so C) to the low 40's (5 to 7 C).

Notice I did not mention rain. If I had my "druthers" it never would. But all sunshine makes a desert and I don't like that either. If We were to include rain in the criteria, I would prefer the wet season (mid Oct to mid April) still to be just as wet but with rain falling far less frequently.
Does this sound close?

HEALDSBURG, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

You've described much of Northern California well. The summer day-night differences are a bit bigger, though. Going slightly closer to the coast might help. The wettest month (January) has 13 days of rain on average, the driest months (July & August) averages none.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 PM

22,145 posts, read 31,548,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I'm sure that if you actually lived in such a climate you'd be running back to Houston post haste!
Oh you would be so wrong!!! I HATE the weather in Houston. I really LOVE COLD weather

Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,590,825 times
No snow.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,356,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
1) -20 to -40F
Another wannabe Vostok Station resident! Where do these people come from?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 PM

123 posts, read 263,853 times
almost my ideal climate, all it needed is snow in dec, jan and more rain in july&aug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Does this sound close?

You've described much of Northern California well. The summer day-night differences are a bit bigger, though. Going slightly closer to the coast might help. The wettest month (January) has 13 days of rain on average, the driest months (July & August) averages none.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 AM

10,587 posts, read 13,558,028 times
Quote:
Does this sound close?

According to that, it shows that it gets 0.2 inches of snow in June. I find that hard to believe for a location at only 105 feet in elevation in California!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 AM

895 posts, read 1,689,559 times
Quote:
Does this sound close?

Pretty much on the money. Anywhere in the northern Santa Rosa Valley or, better yet, a few hundred feet in the hills would come very close. Moving further north, Willits appears to be attractive as well though nights can (and have) approached frost even in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather