U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM

437 posts, read 1,178,250 times

Advertisements

72F
.3 inches of rain every night
75% humidity
partly cloudy

I'd take 100F over 18F any day..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,360,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've worked outside in 96 F for about nine or ten hours and it was no picnic. Constantly drinking water, sweating, and dealing with the intense sunshine. Luckily this year when it reached the mid-90s it was a dry heat. I have worked in 90 F with high humidity and sunshine and that felt equally, if not more miserable.

Interesting to hear you do construction. My father is a contractor and has a strong opinion about weather conditions. Whenever it's supposed to be "extremely" hot, he'll usually start working around sunrise and leave by midday. Needless to say, fall and spring offer the best working conditions.
If I'm engaged in strenuous physical activity my preference would be in the 50 - 70 F range (depending on the intensity of the activity).

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,445,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Another wannabe Vostok Station resident! Where do these people come from?

If this thread were going on in Mar or Apr, I'd have said 90 with a dewpoint of 75 as my favorite (non-aviation) weather.

Regardless, it is sooooo boring having clear skies and calm winds with temps in the 60's or 70's.

It may seem strange, but I am actually very warm blooded and get cold easily, but as long as I have the best parka and other accessories money can buy, there is nothing cooler (no pun intended) than being toasty warm when it's so cold that 10W-30 motor oil turns into taffy!

As for me, its all about the gear you have. I was colder the other day at 68 deg riding my bike in shorts and short sleeves than I was at 0F snowmobiling with 4 layers and gloves in Maine last winter.

On a side note, I think it's pretty funny that a lot of the ski resorts have fireplaces so you can warm up after a long afternoon on the slops. In my opinion, if you need to sit by a fire after being out in anything warmer than -20F, you must not be dressed properly for the cold in the first place.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 PM

15,264 posts, read 15,018,502 times
Quote:
If I'm engaged in strenuous physical activity my preference would be in the 50 - 70 F range (depending on the intensity of the activity).
Yeah I think I would prefer the temperatures in that range as well for physical activity.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 PM

15,264 posts, read 15,018,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Regardless, it is sooooo boring having clear skies and calm winds with temps in the 60's or 70's.
Agreed. I do find those days beautiful, but the novelty would certainly wear off after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox
As for me, its all about the gear you have. I was colder the other day at 68 deg riding my bike in shorts and short sleeves than I was at 0F snowmobiling with 4 layers and gloves in Maine last winter.

On a side note, I think it's pretty funny that a lot of the ski resorts have fireplaces so you can warm up after a long afternoon on the slops. In my opinion, if you need to sit by a fire after being out in anything warmer than -20F, you must not be dressed properly for the cold in the first place.
Funny that you mention this because I was outside for six hours this afternoon. Temperature was in the 50s, but the wind was brutal. I was freezing. Jeans, a hooded sweatshirt, and a long sleeve shirt underneath were not enough.

I think you're right about the specific gear you wear when skiing. I should probably invest in some good quality gloves/socks etc. because on the colder days when I ski, I'm usually somewhat uncomfortable. I'd say the fireplaces are more for the general atmosphere of the lodge. Nothing like sitting by the fire after a day of skiing.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
23C (73F)
30% RH
3kph (2mph) breeze
Clear blue sky.
The local weather station reports 23.1 C and 37% humidity. I'm as happy as a pig in mud! I must commend you on your fine taste.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,964,675 times
40-55 degrees F
5-20 MPH winds
drizzly and cloudy

Old 10-17-2010, 01:15 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,330,604 times
Quote:
The local weather station reports 23.1 C and 37% humidity. I'm as happy as a pig in mud! I must commend you on your fine taste.
Actually, I can recall a long-ago Easter (1967). I was living in Dunedin at the time but my wife & I spent the long weekend at Alexandra at my parents' small holiday place on the hills just south of the town. There were stable anticyclonic conditions (on checking old reports) apparently, and we had lovely blue-dome days with max. temperatures about 21C-22C, coolish nights and faint breezes - perfect early autumn conditions. Don't know what the RH in the daytime would have been, perhaps 45-50%. The property had excellent views across the basin to the various distant mountain ranges. Although the month was not particularly sunny overall, this was ideal weather luck for the short break.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,866,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Actually, I can recall a long-ago Easter (1967). I was living in Dunedin at the time but my wife & I spent the long weekend at Alexandra at my parents' small holiday place on the hills just south of the town. There were stable anticyclonic conditions (on checking old reports) apparently, and we had lovely blue-dome days with max. temperatures about 21C-22C, coolish nights and faint breezes - perfect early autumn conditions. Don't know what the RH in the daytime would have been, perhaps 45-50%. The property had excellent views across the basin to the various distant mountain ranges. Although the month was not particularly sunny overall, this was ideal weather luck for the short break.
I'm amused that New Zealanders find days like that memorable. Perhaps there I should be thankful for some parts of my climate.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm amused that New Zealanders find days like that memorable. Perhaps there I should be thankful for some parts of my climate.
Aren't you from Massachusetts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather