U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,338,094 times
Reputation: 2606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm amused that New Zealanders find days like that memorable. Perhaps there I should be thankful for some parts of my climate.
It's not that we don't get a decent quota of them - just that these conditions met a "mildness" criterion well-nigh perfectly. My ideal conditions don't require a massive injection of heat. I might add the the clarity of sky and visibility was something then (and still would be now) that people in many countries, including most of yours, would envy. My overseas visits have reminded me of just how used to dirty polluted air many millions of people are. Where do you live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 2,246,253 times
Reputation: 747
just got the temp: enough
80F/27C
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 AM
 
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
2,688 posts, read 4,364,643 times
Reputation: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It's not that we don't get a decent quota of them - just that these conditions met a "mildness" criterion well-nigh perfectly. My ideal conditions don't require a massive injection of heat. I might add the the clarity of sky and visibility was something then (and still would be now) that people in many countries, including most of yours, would envy. My overseas visits have reminded me of just how used to dirty polluted air many millions of people are. Where do you live?
He lives in Northampton, MA, which has a similar climate to Alexandra but is much wetter, a little cooler and has greater seasonal range. Well, I suppose it's not really at all similar but his climate is nothing to brag about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,078 posts, read 45,904,543 times
Reputation: 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
He lives in Northampton, MA, which has a similar climate to Alexandra but is much wetter, a little cooler and has greater seasonal range. Well, I suppose it's not really at all similar but his climate is nothing to brag about.
No it isn't anything to brag about. Only positive is that we get a decent amount of sunshine (I think about 2400-2500 hours). Not great; but not terrible either. And when it's not raining we get the blue dome skies you mentioned. Like right now. And no, it's usually not very polluted here.

Alexandra sounds like a desert. I like green.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 9,239,257 times
Reputation: 2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm amused that New Zealanders find days like that memorable. Perhaps there I should be thankful for some parts of my climate.
The older I get, the more I’m starting to believe its all relative, and humans acclimate to their environment over time;

Someone from the Boston who is used to sunny hot summer days…might think a temp of 21 C (70 F) is chilly in summer…yet to folks in cool/temperate climates like New Zealand or London might think it is balmy. It works the other way too. Someone from Miami or Rio might wear an outer garment if the temp is much less the 75 F. You might think that a Boston/New England winter is cold, and 20 F is “bone chilling”…folks in Moscow or Barrow who are used to temps of -40 F (-40 C) think it’s getting balmy when the temp gets near 20 F. It really is all relative.

.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: In transition
10,595 posts, read 13,598,147 times
Reputation: 5035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
The local weather station reports 23.1 C and 37% humidity. I'm as happy as a pig in mud! I must commend you on your fine taste.
Sounds like a nice summer day here in Vancouver. A bit too chilly for my personal preferences but then again, I'm someone who loves heat. And yes, it is all relative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,023 posts, read 9,740,045 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Someone from the Boston who is used to sunny hot summer days…might think a temp of 21 C (70 F) is chilly in summer…yet to folks in cool/temperate climates like New Zealand or London
.
Actually no. Most people in London think 21C/70F is pretty average. Certainly not warm or balmy. People in Scotland might think that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,338,094 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No it isn't anything to brag about. Only positive is that we get a decent amount of sunshine (I think about 2400-2500 hours). Not great; but not terrible either. And when it's not raining we get the blue dome skies you mentioned. Like right now. And no, it's usually not very polluted here.

Alexandra sounds like a desert. I like green.
It gets about 345mm per year. Reasonably dry, but far from being a desert. My point was that these were ideally pleasant days that had a gentle physical impact, missed entirely by you and others. I'll bet your air clarity doesn't match that in NZ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,338,094 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The older I get, the more I’m starting to believe its all relative, and humans acclimate to their environment over time;

Someone from the Boston who is used to sunny hot summer days…might think a temp of 21 C (70 F) is chilly in summer…yet to folks in cool/temperate climates like New Zealand or London might think it is balmy. It works the other way too. Someone from Miami or Rio might wear an outer garment if the temp is much less the 75 F. You might think that a Boston/New England winter is cold, and 20 F is “bone chilling”…folks in Moscow or Barrow who are used to temps of -40 F (-40 C) think it’s getting balmy when the temp gets near 20 F. It really is all relative.

.
Refer my reply to nei. You've missed the point as well. Alexandra has recorded temperatures of up to 39.7C in its history - such a day will never figure in my "ideal" list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,338,094 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Actually no. Most people in London think 21C/70F is pretty average. Certainly not warm or balmy. People in Scotland might think that.
I should have put more emphasis on the "gentleness" of the days referred to - perhaps then the heat-obsessed respondents wouldn't have gone off at a tangent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top