Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,691,780 times

Advertisements

In responding to a local post in the Denver forums, it got me to thinking. What has this month (or any month this year) been like compared to the same month in 2009?

For the sake of not creating a 50 page post, I'll compare Denver's weather for September 2009 with September 2010 and October 2009 with October 2010 (the fall and spring months typically have the largest variations year to year here). I would assume many areas across the U.S. typically have similar deviations given global sea temperature anomalies and corresponding La Nina and El Nino events..

September 2010 vs. September 2009:

Mother Nature has certainly greeted us with a beautiful mid to late summer and the fall season so far has been unprecedented - Denver set a record for the most September says 80 and above - 25, with 8 days 90 or warmer. The average high for September 2010 was 84.8 and the average low was 49.1 giving a mean monthly temperature of 67 degrees - 4.1 degrees above normal and tying for the 7th warmest September.

Looking back at September 2009, the average high was 78.9 and the average low was 48.9 giving a mean monthly temperature of 63.4 - only 1 degree above the average and not anywhere near the top 10 warmest.

No snow or freezing temperatures were recorded in 2009 and 2010 - not necessarily unheard of.

October 2010 vs. October 2009:

Quite the contrary when comparing Octobers. As of today, we are tied with the 5th warmest October on record (average high so far of 71 and average low of 43 for a mean monthly temperature of 57 degrees - 6 degrees above normal and 14 degrees warmer than last year). The rest of this month is shaping up to put us well within the top 10 warmest Octobers in recorded history with mid 60s to low 70s expected the 28th through 31st of the month. We've added another 6 days above 80 to the tally and Denver has yet to officially record a freezing temperature this season; although tonight should change that - Freeze Warning in effect.

October 2009 was the second coldest with an average temperature of 42.9 degrees.. 7.9 degrees below the October climatological normal. We also recorded 17.2" of snow last October. 0" in the bucket this year. With La Nina well developed, we expect a very mild and very windy winter with below normal snowfall along the Front Range (and anywhere east of the Continental Divide). With last year's near absence of any significant chinook wind events, newcomers to the Front Range may get a rude awakening this year. We should enjoy above normal temperatures for most of the winter, but it comes at the price of 100mph winds. If you've ever lived in Denver or any locale on the leeward side of a major mountain range (i.e. eastern NM, CO, WY or MT), you know exactly what I'm talking about. It should be a mild and wild ride!

So what are the major differences you noticed this year from last? It doesn't have to be September and October.. any months will do.. but compare one month this year with the corresponding month last year for perspective. I know at least one of you lived through the unbelievable summer heat this year. How did it compare with last year? We all know it's hot every summer, but to be under a true broiler for 3+ months with no respite is uncommon at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather