Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
We had a couple 28°C lows a month ago, but the highs were around 33°C (in fact one of the days the high was tied at 10 pm), so it didn't heat up too much indoors and made sleeping totally manageable without AC (though with the aid of a fan). Had the highs been near 40°C, I think I would have been miserable.

The high temp matters as much as the low imo. Imo, it would most likely tougher to find sleep on a 40/15°C day that it would on a 30/20°C one despite the cooler low, especially if you go to bed early, as the temp won't be anywhere near the low in the evening if the diurnal range is that large. Plus indoors will have stored some of that daytime heat.
Wow! I didn't know Nice could be that hot at night. Had to look for myself: Weather History for Nice, France | Weather Underground

Unsurprisingly, the dew points on those days were low/mid 70s as well.

July had an average low of 24C and an average dew point of 20C! One would never think that it is at 43N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
July had an average low of 24C and an average dew point of 20C! One would never think that it is at 43N
Nice has extremely warm nights for its latitude (and the city is even a couple degrees higher than the reported airport figures), but this July was remarkable - it broke the record for highest monthly average low, surpassing Aug 2003's 23.8°C.

Quote:
We had a couple 28°C lows a month ago, but the highs were around 33°C (in fact one of the days the high was tied at 10 pm), so it didn't heat up too much indoors and made sleeping totally manageable without AC (though with the aid of a fan).

Dude, no. It was unbreathable Thankfully I was in Valbonne that night (not that it was much cooler though) in a house with a strong and efficient AC which I set to 16°C

Old 09-17-2015, 03:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yeah I'm glad I got to experience it. I was hoping for a warmer than normal summer and wasn't disappointed. What's the highest monthly average dew point ever recorded in NYC? I see that July 2013 averaged 19°C at Central Park.

Btw what about a 23.1°C average low at 50N, followed by a 22°C one? Look at all these 80°F+ nights, inland and at that latitude.
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Kamysin ( Russia )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Dude, no. It was unbreathable Thankfully I was in Valbonne that night (not that it was much cooler though) in a house with a strong and efficient AC which I set to 16°C
AC is for wussies. A born and bred heat-loving Nissart lowers the thermostat to 16°C whereas in the meantime a mild weather lover coming from Normandy without any acclimatization whatsoever breezes through without air conditioning. The world definitely is a strange place.

Btw at least you finally admit that Valbonne isn't the cold-bound frosthole you like to portrait.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm glad I got to experience it. I was hoping for a warmer than normal summer and wasn't disappointed. What's the highest monthly average dew point ever recorded in NYC? I see that July 2013 averaged 19°C at Central Park.

Btw what about a 23.1°C average low at 50N, followed by a 22°C one? Look at all these 80°F+ nights, inland and at that latitude.

For NYC I believe it was indeed July 2013 with 19C. Where I lived (closest station Islip) the mean dp for July 2013 was 20C. Typically it should only be 16-17C.

And yes, other places with crazy lows for their latitude are the desert cities of Karamay and Turpan at 43N. In fact Turpan had an average low of 28C in July, and it even had some 90F lows.

Weather History for Turpan
Weather History for Karamay

But of course, those locations are much drier than Mediterranean cities like Nice or Marseille. Summer dew points in places like Kamyshin, Turpan, and Karamay are typically only 5-10C on average.

Last edited by Shalop; 09-18-2015 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather