Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,054,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Locations in Canterbury have on various occasions reached at least 32C under a northwest "arch" forming east of the Alps under stable windflow, with nil sunshine recorded. Can't quote the highest likely value, probably under 34C.
Yes, Christchurch recorded 35 C with 0.8 hrs on the 9th of Jan last year.

It also recorded 34 C with nil sunshine on the 10th of Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,748,755 times
Alabama is supposed to be infamous for 90 F (32 C) with 90% humidity occuring at the same time.
I would guess full overcast is plausible with 90% humidity.

Toronto isn't quite that bad,
though we are due NNE of them by about 1200 km over terrain ranging from low hills-to flat land
and most of Alabama wouldn't pass for "sub-tropical" (annually-speaking) to many of our members.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,054,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Alabama is supposed to be infamous for 90 F (32 C) with 90% humidity occuring at the same time.
I don't believe that either -- that would mean a 30 C dew point.

The highest I can see for Toronto is 25 C (in the Wunderground.com records), recorded on multiple occasions. While still very impressive and much higher than one would expect for Toronto, it's not quite as remarkable as 28 C.

I don't think even Miami has recorded a 28 C dewpoint. I've made a quick survey of records for Singapore, Darwin and Samoa and seen numerous 27 C dewpoints but no 28s.

Then again, I'm not too confident as to the accuracy of this data and there are probably numerous microclimates within Toronto. So while a 28 C DP seems extremely improbably (it would surely be a world record relative to latitude if it did occur) it's not altogether impossible.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,338,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Actually, despite the myth…there is no such thing as 90 F and 90% RH.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
True in the US, not true in a few places in the world. India and some tropical countries regularly record dewpoints above 80F+ (not exactly 90F and 90% humidity but close). And Saudia Arabia recorded a 95F dew point, highest ever.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,338,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True in the US, not true in a few places in the world. India and some tropical countries regularly record dewpoints above 80F+ (not exactly 90F and 90% humidity but close). And Saudia Arabia recorded a 95F dew point, highest ever.

I don't really remember, but I think in 1991 Weatherwise did an article about 90 F and 90% RH. I thought he mentioned that only the area around the Red Sea has a chance (and a few percent at that) of ever seeing a 90 F temp and RH of 90%. He looked at places like Port Sudan (temp 99 F/dew point 88 F), Aden, Djibouti, …etc. He found that it is very, very rare even here. In most tropical/subtropical locations (which are cooler anyway than deserts), a 90/90 combo is just not really possible. He looked at humid places like Gulf States in the USA, Australia, Southeast Asia..etc. I’ll look around and see if I can find it, I think I have it somewhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Southern-English, and I'm lost in translation perhaps?

I could see 90% humidity in the morning, with a low of 80 F...
followed by a high of 90 F and an unchanging dewpoint.
That could be very-oppressive to most people, but certainly not startling for peak dewpoints.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-18-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I don't believe that either -- that would mean a 30 C dew point.

The highest I can see for Toronto is 25 C (in the Wunderground.com records), recorded on multiple occasions. While still very impressive and much higher than one would expect for Toronto, it's not quite as remarkable as 28 C.

I don't think even Miami has recorded a 28 C dewpoint. I've made a quick survey of records for Singapore, Darwin and Samoa and seen numerous 27 C dewpoints but no 28s.

Then again, I'm not too confident as to the accuracy of this data and there are probably numerous microclimates within Toronto. So while a 28 C DP seems extremely improbably (it would surely be a world record relative to latitude if it did occur) it's not altogether impossible.
*sigh*

I've seen a dewpoint of 28 C reported on several locations from The Weather Network,
and this channel is full of meteorologists.
(since I ADORE hot weather and am always interested in our peak temps, dew points and "humidex.")

You could go to their site. They have "ask the expert" with David Philips. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer you.

Even on the hottest, muggiest days in my numerous August holidays in SC
I have never seen more humidity (air-thickness) there than I do here on our hottest days;
it just lasts longer there.

*When our dewpoints finally drop back to say 22 C after they've reported 28 C,
the air feels delightfully-thin and refreshing... even though it's still WAY muggier than avg.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
I don't really remember, but I think in 1991 Weatherwise did an article about 90 F and 90% RH. I thought he mentioned that only the area around the Red Sea has a chance (and a few percent at that) of ever seeing a 90 F temp and RH of 90%. He looked at places like Port Sudan (temp 99 F/dew point 88 F), Aden, Djibouti, …etc. He found that it is very, very rare even here. In most tropical/subtropical locations (which are cooler anyway than deserts), a 90/90 combo is just not really possible. He looked at humid places like Gulf States in the USA, Australia, Southeast Asia..etc. I’ll look around and see if I can find it, I think I have it somewhere.
I'd probably add the Persian Gulf and areas around the Gulf of California as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather