Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Depends on where I am and the time of year. But as a rule of thumb, high temperatures of below 50 are cold to me. But like I said, time of year makes a difference. 50 degrees would be a slightly below average winter day here, but warm compared to where I grew up. I don't mind 50 degree winter weather. But 70 degrees feels cool at the beginning of fall when I'm used to summer temperatures in the 90s. And location makes a difference. I'm going to expect Arizona to be warmer than Massachusetts. When I was living in Massachusetts, I visited Arizona in the winter and it was below average by Arizona standards yet above average by Massachusetts standards. I still thought it was cold because I was expecting warmth. That was supposed to be my warm winter trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Like you said it's all relative. To someone living in South Florida... 32F feels would feel like the world is going to end... to someone living in Minnesota.. just another "mild" winter day.
I often wonder for people who live in the south who are tired of heat and long for snow and cold.. if most of them really understand what -35F and blizzards really feel like. If they did, would they change their mind about cold?
When southerners say they like the cold, I think what they really mean is they like their version of winter. And I don't blame them. I like their version of winter too. But some of them have a hard time grasping how cold it is up north. I've tried to explain this to someone from North Carolina, but he still insisted he likes the cold. Yet this same person thought it was cold when he had to go without a coat and the temperature was in the 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Same can be said about people who long for heat...I wonder if they have felt 120F heat indices? Or 90+ weather for 6 months in a row without a break? Makes me think if they would change their minds about loving heat....

I have felt -35F before, and I still love cold weather. Maybe not THAT cold, but I do love it when it's 10F and sunny.
I used to say I wanted to move somewhere warm. Now I actually live somewhere warm, and I like the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post

I used to say I wanted to move somewhere warm. Now I actually live somewhere warm, and I like the heat.
Good post. To those ask why we like heat, I'd say it's easy to learn to love 90°F weather (especially dry). But just because I like 90 degree days doesn't mean I like 100+ days. Going from good hot to too hot doesn't take much increase in temperature compared to cold.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Good post. To those ask why we like heat, I'd say it's easy to learn to love 90°F weather (especially dry). But just because I like 90 degree days doesn't mean I like 100+ days. Going from good hot to too hot doesn't take much increase in temperature compared to cold.
...and the "good hot" and "bad hot" is subjective. To me, 90 dry or humid is too hot.

I agree it is pretty easy to learn to like warm DRY weather...I've decided I'll never get used to or learn to like humidity.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
I think there are two ways at looking what cold is. The first is relative to average temperature depending on location, season, and time of day.
Below 8 C/15 F= Very Cold
Between 4 C to 8 C/7 F to 15 F below average=Cold
+/- 4 C/7 F= Range of Normal Temp
Between 4 C to 8 C/7 F to 15 F above average=Warm
Above 8 C/15 F= Hot

Let’s say the average high is 50 F (10 C).
On the relative scale, 35 F (2 C) or colder would be very cold while 65 F (18 C) or warmer would be hot. 43 F to 57 F (6 C to 14 C) would be an expected range of temperatures.

The other way is an absolute way which doesn’t depend on location, season, or time of day. It can also use the RealFeel temperature instead of actual temperature.
Below -9 C/15 F= Very Cold
Between -9 C to 0 C/15 F to 32 F= Cold
Between 0 C to 10 C/32 F to 50 F= Cool
Between 10 C to 21 C/50 F to 70 F= Mild
Between 21 C to 32 C/70 F to 90 F= Warm
Above 32 C/90 F= Hot
What is The RealFeel Temperature?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/realfeel.html

Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Default Cold Days:

Summer = 69 F/(20.5 C?)
Spring/Autum = 55 F/12.5 C
Winter = 39 F/4 C

Depending on my mood,
I may consider 55 F a cold winter day if I'm trying to forget it's winter.
Ditto for Autumn, 69 F may be cold if I'm trying to forget that summer is over.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...and the "good hot" and "bad hot" is subjective. To me, 90 dry or humid is too hot.
Subjective? I agree.
My scale is probably different than most though.

90 F and dry is not hot, but very warm.
90 F and muggy is a bit hot.
90 F and very muggy is very hot.

(I have no concept of too hot for weather, only dehydration )

Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Minus 3°C with a -9°C wind chill and blowing snow. Now that's cold. Quite an effort getting about in the foot of snow out there. Trains to work running fine of course!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,284 times
It's funny how many people tend to obsess over cold but very few comparatively gripe about the heat. You can always wear more clothes but can't really take your skin off when it is really hot and humid.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
It's funny how many people tend to obsess over cold but very few comparatively gripe about the heat. You can always wear more clothes but can't really take your skin off when it is really hot and humid.
That's been said many times before. Sure you can put more layers on, but unless you cover every part of your body you will still feel the cold against your skin (especially face). A painful stinging cold. How about sitting on a table and having lunch in 15°F. I see lots people outside, walking between shops, sitting in parks, listening to outdoor concerts, in 90°F weather. Not so many in very cold weather.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I love reading these discussions and all of us fall in the same general areas! I'm definitely more of a cool person and cold to me depends on how bad the wind is blowing and what the air temp is! I don't complain too much until the wind chill gets really bad. Thirties are no big deal.

I will whine when the dampness sets in and 20's can be pretty miserable on foggy, cloudy day, but I complain more about hot and humid then I ever will about the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather