Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 AM

87 posts, read 120,192 times

Advertisements

Pics of a severe squall line that developed this afternoon bringing winds to 100km/h and rainfall rates of up to 250mm / hour. Some suburbs copped over 30mm of rain in 10 minutes. This comes on top of yesterday's storms when up to 40mm was dumped in the northern suburbs, including the airport in just 30 minutes, causing flash flooding.

Train station subway. I had to catch the train to the city today, but luckily managed to leave before the storms hit. The storm pretty much followed me home, never seen such black cloud in my life, it was toward the city, and at my place was sunshine when I got off the train. About 10 minutes later, all hell broke loose...

This was taken near my place

Radar image of the storm system, clearly showing a bow echo

Doppler image of winds at the same moment, showing windspeeds in excess of 90km/h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Amazing pics.

Some of them you can see it's like the leading edge is starting to roll.
I've seen some bad flooding but I'm not sure if it's been that bad here.

What were the conditions to set up such a storm in Melbourne?

Near Toronto,
The most bizarre formation I've seen is on an advancing t-storm,
it looked like rows of rolling-pins that were descending (growing! ) and spinning backwards as they advanced.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
A good way to start the summer. Did you get any hail in that? At least over here it's usual to get a dumping of hail when rainfall rates reach 250mm/hr as happened last July however our upper air temperatures are significantly colder at our latitude.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Amazing pics.

Some of them you can see it's like the leading edge is starting to roll.
I've seen some bad flooding but I'm not sure if it's been that bad here.

What were the conditions to set up such a storm in Melbourne?

Near Toronto,
The most bizarre formation I've seen is on an advancing t-storm,
it looked like rows of rolling-pins that were descending (growing! ) and spinning backwards as they advanced.
It's been prolonged humid, tropical conditions now since mid-late November, and is expected to continue until mid-next week. Basically humid northeasterly winds are interacting with a stationary trough in western Vic, causing sultry conditions and massive instability. Overnight lows are around 18-20C and highs about 27-30C, if the sun comes out it is oppressive, and is actually more sultry than the conditions I experienced in Cairns last year. On the train home, I could se the most unbelievable jet-black cloud towards Melbourne downtown I've ever seen. I got off the train at my home station today at 3pm, it was hot, humid and those massive supercell storms with their near-jet black cloud formations were closing in at amazing speed. Awesome experience. Then it just went AWOL. It just started belting down like hell and the lightning/thunder went ballistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
A good way to start the summer. Did you get any hail in that? At least over here it's usual to get a dumping of hail when rainfall rates reach 250mm/hr as happened last July however our upper air temperatures are significantly colder at our latitude.
Yep for sure. Dec 1 and Dec 2 have seen severe storms in Melbourne causing flash flooding. No hail with any of this, just extreme rainfall. The atmosphere is too warm for hail to survive to sea level, it just turns into immense rainfall. The rain is so heavy, it is rotting away tonnes of crops, which previously were subject to drought, now it's excesssive rainfall and storm activity causing loses

The 2009/10 season was absolutely awesome here, some of the most extraordinary lightning I've ever seen, and it looks like '10/11 will match it with warm, humid unsettled weather if this La Nina continues.

One drawback....the mosquito population has gone mental, it is literally plague proportions and in this warm humid condition they just kill you. If you turn on a light they swarm like crazy, dozens of the bloody things!

Last edited by Medway; 12-02-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post
It's been prolonged humid, tropical conditions now since mid-late November, and is expected to continue until mid-next week. Basically humid northeasterly winds are interacting with a stationary trough in western Vic, causing sultry conditions and massive instability. Overnight lows are around 18-20C and highs about 27-30C, if the sun comes out it is oppressive, and is actually more sultry than the conditions I experienced in Cairns last year. On the train home, I could se the most unbelievable jet-black cloud towards Melbourne downtown I've ever seen. I got off the train at my home station today at 3pm, it was hot, humid and those massive supercell storms with their near-jet black cloud formations were closing in at amazing speed. Awesome experience. Then it just went AWOL. It just started belting down like hell and the lightning/thunder went ballistic.
Do you actually consider the sun oppressive with the temps + humidity,
or are you only describing it objectively while enjoying the "steam bath?"

Sometimes I sense a mildly-suffocating atmosphere from humidity, (mass qty's of rising vapour?) and sometimes I enjoy it.

So how long will this muggy, stormy spell keep you content from Melbourne's typical lack of t-storms?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post

Yep for sure. Dec 1 and Dec 2 have seen severe storms in Melbourne causing flash flooding. No hail with any of this, just extreme rainfall. The atmosphere is too warm for hail to survive to sea level, it just turns into immense rainfall. The rain is so heavy, it is rotting away tonnes of crops, which previously were subject to drought, now it's excesssive rainfall and storm activity causing loses
What was the surface temp? Really, really strong thunderstorms can still produce large hail lasting to the surface in mid-summer at 38-40°C temps in places like Texas. But then again those storms really are in a league of their own.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Your thunderstorm pics are sweet. Nothing like a good summer storm. Wish we had one last summer. And such a contrast to the British snow pictures. Nice to have poster from around the world

I hope you're enjoying the heat and humidity right now. Won't mind some right now. It sounds like you're in need of window screens. Here the bugs are real bad after sudden hot and wet week because they all hatch at once. But they calm down a bit. But everyone has screens on their windows here.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Yall get some nasty storms down under. Thanks for the pics.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your thunderstorm pics are sweet. Nothing like a good summer storm. Wish we had one last summer. And such a contrast to the British snow pictures.
Ironically, not really.

Many places in the UK have been having heavy "thundersnow" storms, with frequent lightning, hail etc... Places worst affected have been east coast locations in Scotland, Newcastle, East Yorkshire, Lincolnshire.

Saw it myself in Lincolnshire in 2007.

It rarely happens inland.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Do you actually consider the sun oppressive with the temps + humidity,
or are you only describing it objectively while enjoying the "steam bath?"

Sometimes I sense a mildly-suffocating atmosphere from humidity, (mass qty's of rising vapour?) and sometimes I enjoy it.
humidity does have a surprising effect IMO, the temp was about 27C, but was a complete different world to the dry warmth I'm used to. I found my skin slimy and my clothes sticking to me like glue, Melbourne is not usually humid so is a bit of a shock. When warm temps hit, it's almost always a dry desert airmass, but in this case it's a persistant damp situation fuelled by constant influx of humid air from NE NSW and Queensland. Sadly, the mosquitos are revelling in it

Quote:
So how long will this muggy, stormy spell keep you content from Melbourne's typical lack of t-storms?
Melbourne actually tends to get rather frequent storms in summer, and if this week goes off as is forecast I shall be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
What was the surface temp? Really, really strong thunderstorms can still produce large hail lasting to the surface in mid-summer at 38-40°C temps in places like Texas. But then again those storms really are in a league of their own.
Surface temp was 27C, hail is common in Melbourne but tends to occur in cooler less humid conditions, this week it is basically Cairns weather all over, the mid and lower levels are far too warm so the falling hail melts and turns into rain. That being said, March 6 this year had similar conditions, and hail the size of grapefruits slaughtered the eastern suburbs. My brother's car looks like the surface of the moon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather