Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Actually even as a lifelong weather nut who's seen the statistics and understands the reasons I have trouble really believing how cold it gets in winter in the US/Canada at latitudes that in western Europe never get such cold weather. For example, I've been sunburnt (a little) after spending the day on the beach in February at 42N in more than 20C, so to think that across the Atlantic at the same time it can be well below freezing yet with the same sun in the sky at presumably the same strength, takes some understanding. Most British people would take some serious explaining that Florida has a lower lowest temperature than Northern Ireland and that Dallas (32N) has a record low significantly lower than anything Aberdeen (57N) has ever seen.
I guess it's all about perspective, seeing how everyone sees where the climate they grew up with as "normal" for their latitude.

I find it unbelievable how Reykjavik (at 64N) has its January low averaging -3C, and a daily mean of 0C, yet Iceland is right next to the Arctic circle. When I think Arctic, I imagine ones closer to -30C, which is the average January low of Iqualuit in Canada (at around similar latitude). It's odd to imagine that were I to visit Reykjavik in winter I could actually dress more lightly than I do in Toronto, while experiencing close to polar night.

I also wonder if knowledge of the Gulf Stream, and Europe's warmth (or alternatively, N.America's coldness) is common knowledge among the general public (on both sides of the pond).
I know I always heard about it growing up in geography class, and a fair number of people I talk to seem to be somewhat aware of the idea, but of course as you mention people are still surprised when shown real stats (or experience the differences firsthand ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,651,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Actually even as a lifelong weather nut who's seen the statistics and understands the reasons I have trouble really believing how cold it gets in winter in the US/Canada at latitudes that in western Europe never get such cold weather. For example, I've been sunburnt (a little) after spending the day on the beach in February at 42N in more than 20C, so to think that across the Atlantic at the same time it can be well below freezing yet with the same sun in the sky at presumably the same strength, takes some understanding. Most British people would take some serious explaining that Florida has a lower lowest temperature than Northern Ireland and that Dallas (32N) has a record low significantly lower than anything Aberdeen (57N) has ever seen.
To me, East Asia's cold is even more shocking than the North American cold. Shanghai which is at 31N has the same winter temperatures on average as Ireland.
Another shocking example is Guilin which at 25N is at the same latitude as Miami or Northern Africa but has winter averages more similar to southern France at 43N.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,651,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I guess it's all about perspective, seeing how everyone sees where the climate they grew up with as "normal" for their latitude.

I find it unbelievable how Reykjavik (at 64N) has its January low averaging -3C, and a daily mean of 0C, yet Iceland is right next to the Arctic circle. When I think Arctic, I imagine ones closer to -30C, which is the average January low of Iqualuit in Canada (at around similar latitude). It's odd to imagine that were I to visit Reykjavik in winter I could actually dress more lightly than I do in Toronto, while experiencing close to polar night.

I also wonder if knowledge of the Gulf Stream, and Europe's warmth (or alternatively, N.America's coldness) is common knowledge among the general public (on both sides of the pond).
I know I always heard about it growing up in geography class, and a fair number of people I talk to seem to be somewhat aware of the idea, but of course as you mention people are still surprised when shown real stats (or experience the differences firsthand ).
the Lofoten Islands of Norway at 67N are even milder than Reykjavik. Average January averages 1C
Røst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by deneb78; 12-03-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
the Lofoten Islands of Norway at 67N are even milder than Reykjavik. Average January averages 1C

Røst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow. Somewhere within the Arctic circle actually averages above freezing in the winter. It says on the page that it's the largest temperature anomaly in the world relative to latitude.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Rost has a higher annual average than Vladivostok (43°N), 24° further south.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,545,946 times
-3F here two days ago. It's common.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
-3F here two days ago. It's common.
You're in Alaska...

Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,545,946 times

Yes...Anchorage. It doesn't get insanely cold here...usually.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,287,793 times
Ahh last time it got below 0 here was in 1985, got to -2F. I wasn't around to experience this.

This isn't something I'd expect to happen lol.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,185,114 times
Interesting article on the only day that supposedly failed to reach zero in NYC.

The Day the Mercury Stayed Below Zero in New York City (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Day-the-Mercury-Stayed-Below-Zero-in-New-York-City&id=250854 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather