Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

I prefer it around 60 F during the winter and around maybe 74 or 75 F during the summer, although usually I have the windows open between 50-80 F depending on humidity (a damp 64 F for example is fine, but anything about 70 F and humid is uncomfortable). If its dry then sometimes I'll leave the windows open up 85 F. Of course it depends on the specific conditions of the day and how acclimated I am to certain temperatures. Lowest temperature I can sleep with the window open is around 40 F.

Right now the house is around 68 F, which I find too warm. Luckily my bedroom is much cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I prefer it around 60 F during the winter and around maybe 74 or 75 F during the summer, although usually I have the windows open between 50-80 F depending on humidity (a damp 64 F for example is fine, but anything about 70 F and humid is uncomfortable). If its dry then sometimes I'll leave the windows open up 85 F. Of course it depends on the specific conditions of the day and how acclimated I am to certain temperatures. Lowest temperature I can sleep with the window open is around 40 F.

Right now the house is around 68 F, which I find too warm. Luckily my bedroom is much cooler.
Hmm. Maybe our preferences are closer to yours than I thought. My kitchen is 60°F right now and I prefer it slightly to my overheated (72°F) office. Never thought I'd say that early in the fall. I hated my cold house at first but I've adjusted and now it feels normal. Sweaters help. Slightly warmer than 60°F would be nice, perhaps 62-65.

My summer ideal is about 75° too I just don't object to hotter temperatures (I'm ok with my room being up to 85° once I acclimatize. And I don't mind humidity for sitting if it's 80°F or under. For some reason I find warm, humid days cozy.)

I've never seen my house go to 90°. This summer I saw my old apartment go to 88°F but I had a huge south-facing bay window in my bedroom where I had put my desk and it created a greenhouse in a corner of my room. The other end of my room was up to 5° cooler. My new bedroom is upstairs and I immediately noticed that it got much hotter than my old one. It was 86° once right before I went to bed when I first moved in (sept 1)! A set of fans and the of end of a freak heat wave solved the problem.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. Maybe our preferences are closer to yours than I thought. My kitchen is 60°F right now and I prefer it slightly to my overheated (72°F) office. Never thought I'd say that early in the fall. I hated my cold house at first but I've adjusted and now it feels normal. Sweaters help. Slightly warmer than 60°F would be nice, perhaps 62-65.
Yeah 60 F can feel chilly at times, but a sweatshirt and hot drink can quickly solve that. 62-65 F would be okay. I think 65 F is the max I can handle during the winter. The only time I really desire turning up the heat is early in the morning when I first wake up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
My summer ideal is about 75° too I just don't object to hotter temperatures (I'm ok with my room being up to 85° once I acclimatize. And I don't mind humidity for sitting if it's 80°F or under. For some reason I find warm, humid days cozy.)

I've never seen my house go to 90°. This summer I saw my old apartment go to 88°F but I had a huge south-facing bay window in my bedroom where I had put my desk and it created a greenhouse in a corner of my room. The other end of my room was up to 5° cooler. My new bedroom is upstairs and I immediately noticed that it got much hotter than my old one. It was 86° once right before I went to bed when I first moved in (sept 1)! A set of fans and the of end of a freak heat wave solved the problem.
Yeah I can handle dry low 80s as long as there's a breeze and/or my ceiling fan is on. I try to tough it out without the A/C as long as possible, but eventually my room turns into an oven with the glaring sunshine and lack of air circulation.

Having a fan is a good alternative to using A/C. Or it can at least allow you to use less energy if you combine both fan and A/C.

What causes your new bedroom to get hotter? Is it from windows or insulation?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What causes your new bedroom to get hotter? Is it from windows or insulation?
Just being upstairs vs downstairs. The new one actually had much less direct sun than the old one. The downstairs was fine, in the high 70s but the upstairs was really hot. One night I slept downstairs on the couch. It was the first and only time I had considered buying an A/C but the heat wave was leaving in a few days. And having a fan in each window brought in a lot of cooler outside air. Insulation wouldn't help has neither place as A/C. Though maybe if I could seal it up in the middle of the day and then open it up at night, insulation could help.

Last edited by nei; 03-26-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, but what is your heating bill? Mine goes up to $400 in the winter; my electric bill is about $40
Actually my bill was about $65 in summer and went down in winter. Here the rates are lower in winter, so the bill went down. Either we have good insulation or being on the 2nd floor apt, but the heat turns on once in a blue moon. The only "gas" we have is heating the water heater. Everything else is electric. Maybe that's the difference. The water/gas bill is about 65 a month.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,585 times
am trying to find out if 70% in the winter is the same as 70% in the summer

Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
How did this 2 year old thread come back up? LOL. And I noticed Nei edited his post today from 2010. LOL Change of mind? :-)

House was 70 degrees the other night so I turned the A/C on. House is 70 degrees right now and I have wood stove on. Strange.
Maybe the body knows whats going on outside and so the inside of house needs to be opposite? I dont know. All I know is I need it 20 outside and 65 inside.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How did this 2 year old thread come back up? LOL. And I noticed Nei edited his post today from 2010. LOL Change of mind? :-)

House was 70 degrees the other night so I turned the A/C on.
Couldn't you open a window? Seems like a waste of energy, especially when you could have fresh air. I typically find 70°F inside slightly coolish in the summer.

I found a few typos, that's why I edited.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM

398 posts, read 751,393 times
60 is freezing inside to me, I'd need to wear a jacket indoors all the time and socks/shoes. I usually set the thermostat to come on or off at 72 in the winter, and 82 in the summer. That is what it is set on.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
60 is freezing inside to me, I'd need to wear a jacket indoors all the time and socks/shoes. I usually set the thermostat to come on or off at 72 in the winter, and 82 in the summer. That is what it is set on.
I'd need heat more often than A/C if my thermostat was set to 82°F in the summer. 60 is a bit too cool but I've had 62 or 63 inside and was ok with a sweater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather