Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,423 times

Advertisements

I just looked and its -8 here, it seems to be way colder this year in my state in the Northeast, I am in a high elevation area so that has something to do with it, I imagine south of me would be about -4, we've had more snow than usual past 2 years, too much rain past 2 summers.

Past 2 springs, the cold then hot, rain, cold, hot ruins the apple blossoms, no apples past 2 years now, not counting inch size one's that dropped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
When I said the comment about wimpy East Coast cold…I was referring to the metropolitan East Coast (i.e NYC, Philly, Washington, Richmond, Wilmington, DE, Atlantic City…etc)…not the high country of New England and Northern NY.

Last night when the cold high was over the Upper Midwest, they had lows from -25 to -47 F below zero. Tonight, the center of the cold high will be right over the East Coast. My point was more you will never see the lows like the -20 to -40 F you see in the Upper Midwest along the metro East Coast. Even at this hour, with the cold dome right over I-95…not one of the cities along the East Coast (NYC, Philly, DC, Trenton, New Haven, Baltimore…etc) is reporting a temp below zero…in fact, not one is even reporting a temp of less than 10 F. I’m sure that temps in outlaying areas will be bit colder, and temps will still fall some, but I doubt it will fall to -20 to -50 F in the suburbs of Philadelphia, NYC, or Washington DC by tomorrow morning (lol):

My point was more that a temp of 5 or even 0 F in Central Park or Washington DC is nothing to get worked up about on the East Coast... when folks in the Upper Midwest make no big deal out of a temp of - 30 or -40 F.

Its currently 6 F in Central Park. That is unusual so I don't know why you're downplaying it. I live in the NY metrolpolitan area (NJ) and it dropped down to -11 F this morning and yesterday morning. The record low in the state of New Jersey is -34 F, so it has happend in the past. Were people "wimpy" then? Subzero isn't unheard of out here in the suburbs/rural areas, but with this cold snap, we are encroaching on record territory.

Yes, it's colder in the upper midwest. We get it. But that doesn't discount the cold in other locations of the country.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
When I said the comment about wimpy East Coast cold…I was referring to the metropolitan East Coast (i.e NYC, Philly, Washington, Richmond, Wilmington, DE, Atlantic City…etc)…not the high country of New England and Northern NY.

Last night when the cold high was over the Upper Midwest, they had lows from -25 to -47 F below zero. Tonight, the center of the cold high will be right over the East Coast. My point was more you will never see the lows like the -20 to -40 F you see in the Upper Midwest along the metro East Coast. Even at this hour, with the cold dome right over I-95…not one of the cities along the East Coast (NYC, Philly, DC, Trenton, New Haven, Baltimore…etc) is reporting a temp below zero…in fact, not one is even reporting a temp of less than 10 F. I’m sure that temps in outlaying areas will be bit colder, and temps will still fall some, but I doubt it will fall to -20 to -50 F in the suburbs of Philadelphia, NYC, or Washington DC by tomorrow morning (lol):

My point was more that a temp of 5 or even 0 F in Central Park or Washington DC is nothing to get worked up about on the East Coast... when folks in the Upper Midwest make no big deal out of a temp of - 30 or -40 F.

Like you said yesterday in another thread, it's all relative. 0F or 5F sound pretty cold to me if it's at the edge of what you'd realistically expect to get. We get worked up about much milder temperatures than that.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Like you said yesterday in another thread, it's all relative. 0F or 5F sound pretty cold to me if it's at the edge of what you'd realistically expect to get. We get worked up about much milder temperatures than that.
Exactly:

6 F might be extremely cold in NYC… 12 F might extreanly cold in Baltimore or Washington DC…but cold is relative to the location. 40 F is extremely cold in Miami or LA. There are people in the far northern interior of the Upper Midwest, in Russia, in Canada, in China, Finland...etc and other regions who would laugh if you called 6 F or 40 F extremely cold. I agree this is rare cold for the metro East Coast. Look at London, and the way they hyped the cold/snow in southern England last month. I know it was semi-bad...but people in high latitude, cold interior areas with long severe winters are the norm...would chuckle at a "bad London" winter. I know there are a lot of winter fans out there who love extreme cold and wait all year for this...so I'm not trying to rain on their parade.

The media tries to spin any type of weather in the Washington – to NYC corridor for marketing reasons (the largest media market in the world). It will be headline news that NYC fell to 6 F this morning or Washington DC fell to 10 F…yet it was -30 to -50 F below two nights ago in parts in the far northern USA (it fell to -70 F in parts of Canada), yet hardly any mention of that. My comment was really trying to bring out how weather now is more about marketing than meteorology it seems.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Saranac Lake in NY State went down to -36°F. Not too different from all but the very coldest towns in the Upper Midwest.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Saranac Lake in NY State went down to -36°F. Not too different from all but the very coldest towns in the Upper Midwest.
Saranac Lake is 316 miles from NYC and 510 from Washington DC…and located in the Adirondack Mts at over 3000 feet.

My reference was to the big cities along the Atlantic coastal plain like NYC, Philly, Baltimore, New Haven, Trenton, Washington,etc (see my comment above). None of those locations even went below 5 F last night.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
^^ Why do you focus so much on the cities along the Atlantic coastal plain? I don't get it...I notice that even when you are talking about climates in the southeast US you also focus on cities like New Orleans or Savannah but rarely places like Nashville or Little Rock that seem to be more representative of the climate in the southern US.

ALL northeast states except for NJ had a low of -20F or below last night. Saranac Lake, NY dropped to -36F, a couple of locations in the NEK of Vermont I would guess dropped to around -35F and northern NH as well. Even Boston that's on the Atlantic Coastal Plain dropped to -2F last night. That is pretty impressive for a city located at 42N and on the coast. Compare that to Rome that is at the same latitude and on the coast...I dont think Rome would ever even come close to getting down to -2..

Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo;17553538.

[B
ALL northeast states except for NJ had a low of -20F or below last night. Saranac Lake, NY dropped to -36F, a couple of locations in the NEK of Vermont I would guess dropped to around -35F and northern NH as well[/b]. Even Boston that's on the Atlantic Coastal Plain dropped to -2F last night. That is pretty impressive for a city located at 42N and on the coast. Compare that to Rome that is at the same latitude and on the coast...I dont think Rome would ever even come close to getting down to -2..
I just find it funny at times that the Weather Channel, AccuWeather…etc seems to try to create so much weather drama in the metro East Coast region (Washington to NYC)…yet floods in CA, cold in the Midwest, drought in the Southwest, 140 mph winter storms in the Pacific Northwest …etc are deemed not newsworthy. A few days ago the Weather Channel actually showed temps of -25 to -50 F over the upper Midwest…and in a graphic showed how the air masses would move across the Atlantic states and the big cities (as if to imply that it will get down to -20 to -40 F in Washington DC or Philly or Trenton…etc.

My point I think is more about marketing than weather

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
Nobody said it would drop to -20 to -40F in DC or Philly....everyone was saying the interior northeast and interior New England would drop in the -25F to -40F range....and they were right about that.

You seem to think that -40F isn't a big deal in the upper midwest when it is a big deal...and going by your criteria -40F doesn't happen in the big cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc....but they will happen in the northern regions of the midwest, and you can say the same exact thing about the northeast as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Saranac Lake is 316 miles from NYC and 510 from Washington DC…and located in the Adirondack Mts at over 3000 feet.

My reference was to the big cities along the Atlantic coastal plain like NYC, Philly, Baltimore, New Haven, Trenton, Washington,etc (see my comment above). None of those locations even went below 5 F last night.
Yea, I know. The coastal cities don't really get the extreme cold more inland places do. My point is that the interior northeast can be just capable of extreme cold as the Upper Midwest, not quite as bad, but close.

Saranac Lake is somewhat less than 2000 feet. It's annoying that the weather reporting is rather urban northeast focused. Like last winter, the news kept reporting it as very snowy, when in most of New England it was less snowy than usual (about half as much as usual) and relatively mild temperature wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather