Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM

102 posts, read 146,458 times

Advertisements

unbelievable.

it is now 36°C / 97°F at 1:15am here in Mildura

heat, humidity, lightning...... this is a new years for the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Warmest New Year's day forecast for Toronto expected!

It's going to be up to 9C today on New Year's eve. Looks like a record breaking New Year's day high tomorrow at 11C (old record was 9.2 C) and a low of 8C!

The normal for this time of year is -1C/-9C but right now it's 6C at 9:00 am on New Year's eve. All cloudy, and probably will be drizzly throughout this arrival of 2011, but the warm spell won't last -- on Jan. 2, it's back to a seasonal subzero -4C/-8C.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Warmest New Year's day forecast for Toronto expected!

It's going to be up to 9C today on New Year's eve. Looks like a record breaking New Year's day high tomorrow at 11C (old record was 9.2 C) and a low of 8C!

The normal for this time of year is -1C/-9C but right now it's 6C at 9:00 am on New Year's eve. All cloudy, and probably will be drizzly throughout this arrival of 2011, but the warm spell won't last -- on Jan. 2, it's back to a seasonal subzero -4C/-8C.
Wow, that's mild for you. Does Toronto not have continuous snow cover during winter if you can get these mild spells, or is the snowpack too frozen and hard to melt? Here it took a week and a half of above zero daytime temperatures (generally 1-3C) to melt a mere four inches of snow after it had had a chance to consolidate.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM

still 33°C / 91F at 2:00am here, no sleep tonight...

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Wow, that's mild for you. Does Toronto not have continuous snow cover during winter if you can get these mild spells, or is the snowpack too frozen and hard to melt? Here it took a week and a half of above zero daytime temperatures (generally 1-3C) to melt a mere four inches of snow after it had had a chance to consolidate.
Well this year, the snow cover has been really light so that all through this month it seemed like there was no more than a couple of centimeters (although temperature-wise this December is close to average). I checked Environment Canada's stats, and it looks like 7.0 cm of total snow fell this month.

Outside today, at least where I live, it's all gone and the ground is just wet. Yesterday's high was 4.2C, and it's close to 6.7C at 10:00 am now, so the centimeter of snow that was before the thaw began stood no chance.

That said, it seems that Toronto's snow drought is pretty local as areas surrounding it, both north and south have deeper cover -- got a message from a friend from Barrie (a city around 100 km north of Toronto, and which does gets lake-effect snow) who thinks that it'd take more than this mild spell to "kill the snow" for the new year, though at that time, the mild spell wasn't even forecasted to as high as it is so it looks like it'll probably thaw out there too.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,962,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
How long did the snow stay on the ground? I imagine you guys don't get snow very often
Every few years it snows here. Last time it did was '07 and '06. This snow was very brief but in '07 it lasted for several hours. And there was many inches of snow but it was in certain areas.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,962,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
I honestly had no idea Phoenix would or could really get snow

Btw, is this forecast for Las Vegas correct? World Weather Information Service - Las Vegas, Nevada
Yeah we do get snow. I think that is right for LV. I've been there too, it's drier, browner, but also a bit cooler, and recieves snow more often than Phoenix.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Yeah we do get snow. I think that is right for LV. I've been there too, it's drier, browner, but also a bit cooler, and recieves snow more often than Phoenix.
You're talking about surrounding suburbs, correct? I always assumed snow within the city was rare. I also assumed temperatures below freezing with in the city don't occur as much as they used to.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
still 33°C / 91F at 2:00am here, no sleep tonight...
It's still a subarctic 17 C here at 1 PM. Forecast highs for next few days are 26, 17, 17, 17...

That's it, I'm hopping on the next flight to Mildura!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
never thought Las Vegas got days that cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
It's still a subarctic 17 C here at 1 PM. Forecast highs for next few days are 26, 17, 17, 17...

That's it, I'm hopping on the next flight to Mildura!
yeah that's pretty ordinary, is it sunny or do you have that Melbourne-esque flat-grey layer cloud gloom?

Got another storm move through around 8.30am with a fair bit of lightning, dropped the temp aswell to 22C/72F this time. 30C/86F at 11:45AM partly cloudy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather