Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
The hot in the sun comment is a typical situation in NZ. The temp here today is 21C (70F) but the UV for today is 14. I saw some serious Lobsters in town today!
I'm amazed at how high your UV indexes can get for the southern hemisphere. At around a similar latitude (low 40s N) in Toronto, and southern Ontario in Canada, it seems like it rarely gets higher than 9 (at least from my experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'm amazed at how high your UV indexes can get for the southern hemisphere. At around a similar latitude (low 40s N) in Toronto, and southern Ontario in Canada, it seems like it rarely gets higher than 9 (at least from my experience).
I saw a UV forecast of 10 once or twice last summer here, btw.

Two reasons for higher UV:
-southern hemisphere is closer to the sun in their summer
-southern hemisphere has cleaner air because most of it is water, less people live there, lower chance of volcano eruption or forest fire

Check out these charts for Auckland NZ:
Sunrise and Sunset for New Zealand – Auckland – coming days
Sunrise and Sunset for New Zealand – Auckland – June 2010

Compare them with Toronto:
Sunrise and Sunset for Canada – Ontario – Toronto – coming days
Sunrise and Sunset for Canada – Ontario – Toronto – June 2010

Looking in the column furthest to the right,
both show that Toronto and Auckland are about 3% closer to the sun in December vs. June.
(152 x 10-to-the-6th kilometers vs 147 x 10-to-the-6th kilometers )

I wonder how much worse Canadian winters would be if those distances were reversed.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM

102 posts, read 146,531 times
UV indexes are as high as 18 in a couple of locations in Queensland:

Ultraviolet (UV) Index Forecast

Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
UV indexes are as high as 18 in a couple of locations in Queensland:

Ultraviolet (UV) Index Forecast
OMG

A few months ago I thought I read an article that said Carnarvon, WA had Australia's highest ever recorded UV reading of 17.
Honestly, I didn't expect to see a UV of 18 anywhere in the world less than 1500 metres/5000 ft above sea level.

BOM maps for UV clear sky maxes only go up to 14+.
Australian Climate Averages - Ultra violet index (Climatology 1979-2007)

Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM

^^
Wow! I can't imagine how short a period of time it would take to get sunburned at UV 18!

I wonder what's the highest recorded UV value, or what range of values?
Perhaps maybe somewhere on an equatorial mountaintop like Kilimanjaro.

Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii's supposed to have read UV 20 or so at 3.4 km (around 11, 100 ft) above sea level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I saw a UV forecast of 10 once or twice last summer here, btw.
According to this,

"The highest UV index level in Canada to date, was 10.1. This was recorded in Toronto on
July 07, 1993."

Hmm... I don't know how intuitive that feels. I would have expected something higher.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 12-29-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
^^
Wow! I can't imagine how short a period of time it would take to get sunburned at UV 18!

What's the highest recorded UV value, or what range of values?
Perhaps maybe somewhere on an equatorial mountaintop like Kilimanjaro?

According to this,

"The highest UV index level in Canada to date, was 10.1. This was recorded in Toronto on
July 07, 1993."

Hmm... I don't know how intuitive that feels. I would have expected something higher.
Mt Everest wouldn't be too kind either.
Chile looks ridiculous; on a colour map of UV in December it was white (off the charts) where Australia was pink in its worst parts.

I wonder if The Weather Network was being cautious.
We had a clear day in late June or very early July that I saw a day at UV of 10.

The way UV feels to my skin, it's almost linear with intensity.
4 feels about half the strength of 8.
10 felt like a subtle but noticeable increase over 8.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I wonder if The Weather Network was being cautious.
We had a clear day in late June or very early July that I saw a day at UV of 10.
Maybe they rounded the number up?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
One certainly has to be cautious, but by the end of april it's comfortable in the sun most of the time. Just remember to "slip, slop, slap".

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
One certainly has to be cautious, but by the end of april it's comfortable in the sun most of the time. Just remember to "slip, slop, slap".
What's your UV in midwinter? I don't really take much notice but I think ours is 1 from roughly October to March, going up to 6 or 7 in midsummer. By late October in this country even in the south you could spend all day in the sun and not get any colour at all. From about then until mid-March I don't properly expect to even see the sun never mind feel any strength in it. It wasn't until I did a bit of travelling and talking to foreigners that I realised how bad for sunshine our climate really is.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
My UV index is 1 right now and it's a bright sunny day. I'm near NYC right now. It probably stays 1 for a shorter time than October to March, perhaps a month less? Highest it generally gets in midsummer is 9, though I think 10 or 11 can happen in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather