Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Thanks for clarification.

I'm plenty young enough to have experienced the same conditions of A/C prevalence.
I wait all year for it to get warm, and when it does many people "fix" it, paying for it to be chilly again.
Obviously I can't co-relate "being young" with "enjoying A/C."

I'm thankful that in Canada, even though I'm seldom comfortable inside it's also almost-never terrible for short-sleeves.
Unlike the southern US where it feels the indoor average is about 3-5 F cooler, with an extra 5 mph worth of breezes.

So it sounds like you dislike short sleeves. (pants or shirts)
Do you also prefer layers?

As much as I hate not being warm,
I often hate the feeling of fabric resistance, if I'm not just sitting still.
I'll often wear a t-shirt down to a temperature that really irritates me.
I wear short-sleeve shirts, just not shorts (as often as one would think; I do use them maybe 50% of summer days, and when exercising outside, shorts are obviously a must). I actually don't have very many long-sleeve shirts and I'm more likely to put on a jacket over a short-sleeve shirt if it's not too cold.

As for layers, I only wear them (like the jacket/short-sleeve combo) when it's cool enough, but I can't tell you right away what exactly "cool enough" is. It doesn't happen from March to October/November, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I wear short-sleeve shirts, just not shorts (as often as one would think; I do use them maybe 50% of summer days, and when exercising outside, shorts are obviously a must). I actually don't have very many long-sleeve shirts and I'm more likely to put on a jacket over a short-sleeve shirt if it's not too cold.

As for layers, I only wear them (like the jacket/short-sleeve combo) when it's cool enough, but I can't tell you right away what exactly "cool enough" is. It doesn't happen from March to October/November, that's for sure.
Interesting, so you don't love clothes as much as I thought, just dislike shorts?

You sound exceptionally cool-hardy!
I was wearing long leaved shirts in Florida this October at dusk if it dropped below 68 F or 70 F with a steady breeze.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM

It's not that I dislike shorts, it's that it isn't that warm for me a lot of times. At this point in the winter, if it got to 70F the next day, I would likely put them on. If A/C is still not as prevalent in Michigan (that's likely where I'm moving to this summer) as I've experienced in the past I will probably be wearing them the whole summer.

Long sleeves in that weather? I'm guessing the high was in the mid 70s. If I planned on doing something outside, I would likely be wearing shorts/t-shirt. However, if it was the day after the months-long summer, then I would possibly consider it nippy enough to wear long sleeves.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
But why do they set the A/C so it's too cold for shorts? And more difficult to go back and forth between inside and outside.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
It's not that I dislike shorts, it's that it isn't that warm for me a lot of times. At this point in the winter, if it got to 70F the next day, I would likely put them on. If A/C is still not as prevalent in Michigan (that's likely where I'm moving to this summer) as I've experienced in the past I will probably be wearing them the whole summer.

Long sleeves in that weather? I'm guessing the high was in the mid 70s. If I planned on doing something outside, I would likely be wearing shorts/t-shirt. However, if it was the day after the months-long summer, then I would possibly consider it nippy enough to wear long sleeves.
Well it sounds like you wear shorts only too cool down, when pants are not practical.
Instead I wear pants when shorts are not practical; pants for style (dressing up?) or function (protection from scrapes?) only.

Yes every day in Florida was 80-85 F,
except in North Florida and even then it was still hitting at least 77 F.

I enjoy feeling at least trace amounts of body warmth on my forearms; Southerners dislike body-warmth?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But why do they set the A/C so it's too cold for shorts? And more difficult to go back and forth between inside and outside.
I can usually tolerate shorts and t-shirts indoors down South,
but it is never a good feeling, nor is it meant to be.
Though some locals (waitresses?) wear both inside and act perfectly happy.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM

It's probably because of offices trying to keep a professional image, but that's here in an area where people don't normally come to visit. I can't explain why it was like that for ColdCanadian in Miami.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It's probably because of offices trying to keep a professional image, but that's here in an area where people don't normally come to visit. I can't explain why it was like that for ColdCanadian in Miami.
Ft. Lauderdale (30 miles from Miami) is actually a bit worse indoors than the Carolinas,
since it feels summerlike most of the winter and even in January it can be a rude feeling stepping inside.
I haven't seen much of Miami, but it's the general area's culture.
It may be the same temp indoors in FL vs. NC,
but at least if it's not warm outside you don't get a jolt; instead you warm up VERY slowly indoors.

Conditions like I was describing were at the Ft Lauderdale Airport where there was an ice cream vendor.
I thought they had to be kidding. It was 79 F outside and sunny, distinctly-but-moderately summerlike.
Inside it probably ranged from 67-71 F with a brisk draft everywhere.
"Windchill" difference would be about 15-20 F cooler than outdoors,
yet somehow people are supposed to be craving ice cream.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-12-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well it sounds like you wear shorts only too cool down, when pants are not practical.
Instead I wear pants when shorts are not practical; pants for style (dressing up?) or function (protection from scrapes?) only.
Seems to be the norm up here. Outside of offices in warm weather, people dress light. And warm weather is anything that's not cold. People start wearing shorts and a T-shirt as soon as possible in the spring.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
27.9*100 = 2790+1800 sun hour (approx) is 4590, divided by 300 = 15,3, 1 penalty each for wet month and haze, means Pekanbaru's score is 13,3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather