Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,208,206 times

Advertisements

After west coast the US southwest is best.

Choose the right elevation for you.

Low elevations means warm winters but very hot summers.

High elevations means nice cool summers but cold winters.

Medium elavations are a good compromise.

Bisbee, AZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
Payson, AZ
Silver City, NM
Las Cruces, NM
Alamogordo, NM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM

808 posts, read 700,714 times
The inside of my house qualifies perfectly.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM

855 posts, read 763,349 times
Anywhere from the western plains to the Pacific. I find it’s really only the eastern half of the continent that’s got a dew point problem.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 AM

855 posts, read 763,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
My town has reasonably comfy dew points and lows in summer, most of the time. I would prefer 100 miles north of here though for ideal summers.
It’s all relative. To someone from here, midwestern and northeastern humidity doesn’t seem too bad. For someone from the South, it seems much nicer. To someone from the West, it feels like sticky gross swamp heat. Ever since I moved to Michigan from the PNW, summers have been my bane. (This summer was actually nice and mild for the most part though.)

Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM

32 posts, read 55,254 times
United States Yearly [Annual] and Monthly Mean Maximum Dew Point Temperature

This link shows annual and monthly mean max dewpoints across the lower 48. The west coast is the only region that experiences fairly even temperatures year round. South Florida may be the only exception, but then you deal with sweltering dewpoints for a large portion of the year.

Higher elevations in the northeast will keep you out of uncomfortable dewpoints, but then you have to deal with winter.

So if you are looking for more comfortable weather than coastal California, you will have to check other countries, particularly of of the tropical highland and mediterranean variety. Personally, I prefer the mountain interior southwest or southern appalachia for the existence of summer precipitation, though you do tend to have some snow (which I prefer over the rainy winters of the west coast).

I think you are correct that dewpoint is a primary factor when considering climate comfort, but I would also include cloudiness. Since long stretches of cloudy winter days are depressing to me, the majority of the west coast is not particularly appealing to me.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is true - for coastal San Diego (La Jolla, Mission Beach, etc.). But the city of San Diego is so large that it extends well inland, where the temperatures are warmer - generally, the I-15 corridor and everything east of it.

Plus, back to the concern of the OP, the locales inland from the ocean have slightly lower dewpoints year-round.
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westcomp.dp.html

That's the beauty of the exceptional topographical and climatic diversity of southern California. A relatively short drive will lead to substantially different weather most of the time. The same is rarely true for most points east of the Rockies.
living east of I-15 in San Diego (interior SD) is just SW desert weather with periods of smog. It's the same way up in Los Angeles & OC. I know being an outdoors sports guy and from there. But you may get the ocean dew or overcast clouds to cool you off at night but during the day it is usually 10-15 degrees hotter inland. Add in pollution & smog, you will sweat even more (outdoor sports).
L.A. has become more humid over the years in the summer partly due to more cars (more pollution & toxins) causing humidity.

Florida weather: I've been in summer weather in Orlando, Miami, and SW Florida for multiple years. All are very humid with not much difference in feeling comfortable.

Austin & Houston: Gawd those summers are humid and hot. 105+ & humid vs. Florida 95+ humid

Yeah, I do like changes of weather and not upper 80s to 90 on Christmas in South Florida or January; 2016 & 2017.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:09 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,171,170 times
Goodland Kansas is a spot that has fairly comfortable dew point temperatures during much of the warm season, that is if you’re willing to contend with highly changeable weather during winter and the shoulder seasons.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:54 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,355,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
One interesting thing I notice from the map "nei" posted is that the
Central Florida region does not seem to get too steamy in the Summer.

Anyone from that region (Gainesville, Lake city) of FL care to comment ?
Umm I have family in that region of Florida (Lafayette Co. Suwanee Co.) and have visited MANY times in summer and its absolutely sweltering.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:35 PM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
One interesting thing I notice from the map "nei" posted is that the
Central Florida region does not seem to get too steamy in the Summer.

Anyone from that region (Gainesville, Lake city) of FL care to comment ?
Not true at all. It is pure hell. But i get it worst since i live right on the gulf. My lows are much warmer and their highs are higher inland. My dew points are higher when we have a reverse west windflow blowing off 90 degree gulf water temps.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:11 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,930,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagledrummer23 View Post
United States Yearly [Annual] and Monthly Mean Maximum Dew Point Temperature

This link shows annual and monthly mean max dewpoints across the lower 48. The west coast is the only region that experiences fairly even temperatures year round. South Florida may be the only exception, but then you deal with sweltering dewpoints for a large portion of the year.

Higher elevations in the northeast will keep you out of uncomfortable dewpoints, but then you have to deal with winter.

So if you are looking for more comfortable weather than coastal California, you will have to check other countries, particularly of of the tropical highland and mediterranean variety. Personally, I prefer the mountain interior southwest or southern appalachia for the existence of summer precipitation, though you do tend to have some snow (which I prefer over the rainy winters of the west coast).

I think you are correct that dewpoint is a primary factor when considering climate comfort, but I would also include cloudiness. Since long stretches of cloudy winter days are depressing to me, the majority of the west coast is not particularly appealing to me.

Kansas city and the central valley calif have the same dew point

That photo must be about year round dew point cause it def aint true in the summer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather