U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM

141 posts, read 251,037 times

Advertisements

Big thing is don't let the snow have a chance to pack down. It is easy to shovel snow, not ice. So be very proactive and shovel before walking or driving on top of the snow. I personally don't do this. I walk on top of the ice with no problem and shake off my boots before going indoors so it doesn't bother me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:33 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,056,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I agree. the lsat storm, I snow blowed, then shoveled the bits left behing and then used the garden brush to sweep the remainder. My husband was laughing at me but I don't have the same slush or icy patches anyone else in my street has and It save s a trip to the gym !! multitasking !!
Wait a minute. You can run a snow blower, a shovel and a broom???? Where were you when I was looking for a wife?

I agree, get ahead of the problem and it's a lot less problem.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM

12,490 posts, read 12,344,463 times
I keep after it, not letting it get packed down, once you do, the ice sets in. I use salt because I want bare pavement. I also have a little mud room off my kitchen and I take my boots off there.

I live on a corner, lots of people walk by to a clinic, store, bus stop, I don't want the walk slippery. I have a neighbor down the street when we get decent amounts, he uses his snowblower and does my walk for me. He gets out there frequently and doesn't pack the walk down.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,223,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
How do you get the ice off your walks and drives? The last storm gave us ice, and it took a week of 40 degree days to get in and out of our drive, even after using a salt and small rock mixture on them. I found the rocks did nothing to stop the falling, and tracked in the house too much. The salt which I thought would make the ice come up did nothing. I could get the first layer up than had a solid 1/4 inch glass layer of ice on the drive. We now are waiting for the next storm on Mon. and Tue. I was wondering if there is something better to use, or if I just need to order a flame thrower?
After storm, shovel asap...if you don't have the strength, contract someone who operates a snow plow ahead of time -- be sure to mark off your precious flower beds and bushes so they don't crush them. Don't drive or walk out there until you've shoveled (unless of course you absolutely have to)...doing so packs it down into ice. If hit by a blizzard, be prepared to shovel two, three times (don't wait till its over and done w/ unless you do have someone contracted and/or have a snow blower).

Buy two different types of shovels...one flat for low accumulation shoveling (easier on back). One deeper scoop for bigger snow storms...the deeper one also works well as a plow if you have a driveway on a slope. You can also use the flat one for deep snows if you have back issues. Spray silicone occasionally on your shovels to keep snow from sticking.

Also, buy an ice scraper at your local hardware store, its a big help. And yes, sprinkle salt on the last bits of ice.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 AM

7,101 posts, read 5,971,544 times
We're pretty lucky - we don't have a sidewalk or a drive. We live on a dead end road, which the cinder trucks still manage to cover, and have a roofed car port. We do have a long path to the front porch, though, which we salt. Nobody uses this much except the mail man.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM

97 posts, read 203,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It is concrete with a stamped design to make it look like paving stones. I think it is not designed to be in a snow and ice environment
A word of caution, salt sitting on concrete, will allow water to stay 'liquid' below freezing point. It then permeates and when it gets to the point of freezing, it will. Then it can cause a condition called 'spalling', which pits & chips the concrete.
Best advice is to use coarse salt, and shovel once the ice melts. Just get it off as soon as possible. Especially with stamped and all the joint lines.
Concrete guys love it...keeps em busy (job security)

Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM

9,594 posts, read 24,970,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
A word of caution, salt sitting on concrete, will allow water to stay 'liquid' below freezing point. It then permeates and when it gets to the point of freezing, it will. Then it can cause a condition called 'spalling', which pits & chips the concrete.
Best advice is to use coarse salt, and shovel once the ice melts. Just get it off as soon as possible. Especially with stamped and all the joint lines.
Concrete guys love it...keeps em busy (job security)
That would probably be the only reason I never see that here since we expect people to put salt on their driveways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or