Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times

Advertisements

How do you get the ice off your walks and drives? The last storm gave us ice, and it took a week of 40 degree days to get in and out of our drive, even after using a salt and small rock mixture on them. I found the rocks did nothing to stop the falling, and tracked in the house too much. The salt which I thought would make the ice come up did nothing. I could get the first layer up than had a solid 1/4 inch glass layer of ice on the drive. We now are waiting for the next storm on Mon. and Tue. I was wondering if there is something better to use, or if I just need to order a flame thrower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Is your drive gravel/stone, or concrete or asphalt? As long as it isn't the former, I'd suggest boiling water poured over it, and then squeegee it off before it refreezes.

I can't say I ever recall having a problem with the driveway icing up, but we had a driveway made up of rocks.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
It is concrete with a stamped design to make it look like paving stones. I think it is not designed to be in a snow and ice environment, but than I am not designed to live in this cold either. I thought of this, but was worried the heat from boiling water on cold concrete would crack it.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I think that the ice would tend to insulate it, depending on how thick that ice is.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Salt works down to 15 F, you probably didn't have enough salt.

Actualy rocks would probably be useless.
Sometimes they add a sand mix to add grip but even that doesn't work very well.

If you have sun you could cover it with something black (tarp?) and it will melt faster.
Have a pool cover handy?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We normally don't get it more than 3-4 times a year but for normal snow, even after it refreezes to ice, salt and other de-icing materials work fine. When you get freezing rain, which it sounds like you had, it's solid clear ice just like ice cubes in the freezer. That basically shuts down the entire region until it turns to rain and warms up and melts, you cannot even open the car
doors never mind driving on it. Flame throwers would work on the walk and driveway but if it's still below freezing the water from melting will refreeze
in the low areas.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Getting snowed on every 3 or 4 days, melting for a day or two and then refreezing and snowing again, I've found the only thing that can be done is to be proactive. Shovel, scrape, and remove every chance you get.

When it starts snowing here, I don't wait till it's done and then try and clean up. I shovel during the storms. Keep it removed. Then when it warms a little, I go out and shovel or plow the slush. Works pretty good, but you have to keep at it.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM

117 posts, read 394,437 times
I usually through a bunch of salt down and then about 10 minutes later I go back outside with a shovel and scrape up the ice once it gets loosend up.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Honestly, here in Alaska where there's snow on the ground half the year, there's more emphasis on dealing with it than removing it. Anchorage is pretty good about removing it on the city streets, but that turns everything into a dusty, sandy, salty mess. Gravel or sand in high enough quantities should provide some traction. You might score the ice with a pick axe to rough it up a bit. In the coastal areas up here which get a great deal of ice, the vast majority have studded tires and wear some sort of cleats or other traction devices on their feet.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Getting snowed on every 3 or 4 days, melting for a day or two and then refreezing and snowing again, I've found the only thing that can be done is to be proactive. Shovel, scrape, and remove every chance you get.

When it starts snowing here, I don't wait till it's done and then try and clean up. I shovel during the storms. Keep it removed. Then when it warms a little, I go out and shovel or plow the slush. Works pretty good, but you have to keep at it.
I agree. the lsat storm, I snow blowed, then shoveled the bits left behing and then used the garden brush to sweep the remainder. My husband was laughing at me but I don't have the same slush or icy patches anyone else in my street has and It save s a trip to the gym !! multitasking !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather