Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,383,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I belong in the South, I love how everything gets shut down over medium-ish storms.

Never mind the instant warm ups, lol sign me up.
Part of the reasoning for that is at least in Texas there isn't enough sanding and salt spreading equipment to take care of the roads. They typically only have enough to spread on the bridges. No plows at all. Of course people don't have the experience to know how to drive in this weather.

It can be a mess. Not at all like it is in your neck of the woods. When I was a kid and lived near Boston, I remember the snow plows going by before the sun came up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,003,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
How much ice has accumulated so far? Any power outages?
So far, up to about .1" of ice is being seen. It has caused around 3 dozen wrecks thus far around Corpus Christi, with a few minor wrecks here in Portland. TXDOT was quoted saying they were fully prepared for this event, and evidentally, they are NOT. The ice JUST started here, and we already have MASSIVE road closures, including some off of I-37. Check out this link:

Citizen Observer - Find Groups

Ian

Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
So far, up to about .1" of ice is being seen. It has caused around 3 dozen wrecks thus far around Corpus Christi, with a few minor wrecks here in Portland. TXDOT was quoted saying they were fully prepared for this event, and evidentally, they are NOT. The ice JUST started here, and we already have MASSIVE road closures, including some off of I-37. Check out this link:

Citizen Observer - Find Groups

Ian
When did the icing start? I would hope that most people heeded the warnings and went home early today.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,003,996 times
Right now, there has been about 4 dozen wrecks. One invoved a multi-car collision up on SH286. One of the cars had a father and a 10 yr old girl in the car. They got out, walked down and embankment, tried to cross a feeder road, and another car slid and struck the little girl. That driver fled the scene by foot, and the father is now at the hospital with his girl who is in critical condition.

They had the Chief of Police on TV urging people not to drive at all. They were currently working on 20 wrecks at that very moment. People around this area DO NOT know how to drive on ice, and even for those who do, its still a dangerous situation. The Chief was saying people were still driving WAY too fast on Interstate 37 which runs through the City. People never learn.

Ian

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,383,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Right now, there has been about 4 dozen wrecks. One invoved a multi-car collision up on SH286. One of the cars had a father and a 10 yr old girl in the car. They got out, walked down and embankment, tried to cross a feeder road, and another car slid and struck the little girl. That driver fled the scene by foot, and the father is now at the hospital with his girl who is in critical condition.

They had the Chief of Police on TV urging people not to drive at all. They were currently working on 20 wrecks at that very moment. People around this area DO NOT know how to drive on ice, and even for those who do, its still a dangerous situation. The Chief was saying people were still driving WAY too fast on Interstate 37 which runs through the City. People never learn.

Ian
That is such a sad story. I hope the little girl is OK.

Something similar happened in Fort Worth years back. There is a tall bridge coming off one of the highways, it was covered with ice, there was a wreck, minor. Guy got out of his car to help someone else and slid and fell over the edge and died from the fall.

I agree, you can't know how to drive on ice, unless your smart enough to know not to drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather