Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,596,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The snowdrops have been pushing their way up here in Vancouver over the last week or so. Spring is definitely around the corner here. I heard that the daffodils are already up in Victoria and the Gulf Islands. It should only be a matter of weeks now before everything goes in full bloom here.
You seem to have the same flowers as us 6000 miles away...I know you have more or less the same climate, but are those flowers native to the area as well or did the colonialists bring them over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM

927 posts, read 1,939,515 times
The Osoberries (Bearberries) started leafing out around the 1st of the month where I live and they are among the first of the woody plants to do so in the Willamette Valley. For me that is a sign we are turning the corner and heading for spring.

Crocuses are starting to pop up in my yard and in those of my neighbors. Our Camelia has shot flowers all winter but has now exploded and we have been able to pick some of the flowers to enjoy indoors. Ornamental Redbuds have blossomed while snowdrops and a few early violets are poking their flowers out.

Out in those farms where the owners have resisted shooting their sheep up with hormones the first of the lambs have dropped. Fields are littered with babies.

Our up-to-now sunny winter has returned to form with a bang but the change is too little and too late; spring has started making inroads and by mid-April will have routed winter almost completely.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,605,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You seem to have the same flowers as us 6000 miles away...I know you have more or less the same climate, but are those flowers native to the area as well or did the colonialists bring them over?
No, I definitely think the flowers are not native to here but they've been naturalized for a long time. We have tonnes of European native plants here due to the similar climate. Some have become even invasive. European Holly and Ivy come to mind, they seem to be popping up everywhere.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

117 posts, read 393,530 times
Its going to be near 40F for the next few days. Its feels amazing! Its about 50F warmer now than it was a couple of days ago.

But this is Minnesota and its only the middle of february. Every year it we have a little thaw about this time to get our hopes up that spring almost here only to realize that we still have a month and a half left of winter.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,991,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No, I definitely think the flowers are not native to here but they've been naturalized for a long time. We have tonnes of European native plants here due to the similar climate. Some have become even invasive. European Holly and Ivy come to mind, they seem to be popping up everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've heard that the bulb plants like daffodils are actually climactically adapted to areas where the spring is rainy and the summer dry, like parts of Europe and the Mediterranean area, so that coming up very early in the spring to take advantage of the moisture, and blooming before the hot summer drought arrives is a survival strategy.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprof View Post
Its going to be near 40F for the next few days. Its feels amazing! Its about 50F warmer now than it was a couple of days ago.

But this is Minnesota and its only the middle of february. Every year it we have a little thaw about this time to get our hopes up that spring almost here only to realize that we still have a month and a half left of winter.
A month and a half of astronomical winter, yes, but not meteorological winter. Not sure about Minnesota but in the mid-Atlantic you can usually notice a warming trend by mid-late February. And March is almost always warmer than December.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,596,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I've heard that the bulb plants like daffodils are actually climactically adapted to areas where the spring is rainy and the summer dry, like parts of Europe and the Mediterranean area, so that coming up very early in the spring to take advantage of the moisture, and blooming before the hot summer drought arrives is a survival strategy.
Hmm, I've never noticed daffodils in southern Europe but are very common in northwestern Europe and you see thousands of them both wild and planted by the roadsides here. They are the national flower of Wales and normally in bloom there on March 1st, their national day. In German/Norwegian though the name for them translates as Easter bells/Easter lilies, so come up later. They only last four to six weeks though at most, so I don't see how summer affects them.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,047,095 times
My narcissus are only 2-3 inches tall right now and I'm in North Carolina! I have seen a few blossoms on the Forsythia bushes, but other than that, no signs of spring as far as the flowers/shrubs/trees... that will change soon as we are having a wonderful warming trend right now. Temps rose to 56 yesterday, and we are forecast for low 60s later in the week! I will enjoy every moment of it, and cross my fingers that winter is (finally) over! Hopefully a nice spring shower will arrive soon.

I love spring!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,194,428 times
A max of -2C/28F three days ago to 66F/19C now... Having such a huge jump in temperatures is a bit annoying (and such a shock that I was out in shorts this morning at 55F/13C), but if it didn't get any hotter than this for the next 3 months, I would be very happy.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,431,971 times
NO, I still feel so cold today!!! Spring is far away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather