Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times

Advertisements

30F / -1 C: T-shirt

20 F / -7 C: A light jacket

10 F / -12 C: A winter jacket

0 F / -18 C: A thick jacket

-20 F / -29 C: A ultra-protective expensive jacket

-40 F / -40 C: As above but add winter clothing (hat etc)

I refuse to wear heavy winter clothing at 0 C. That's higher than the mean temp of some places. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
yeah um in order for me to relate I'm going to have to raise the temps of each category by 40f.

so at 70f(21c) I normally will only have a long sleeve shirt on with jeans and T-shoes if it's for less than 10 mins . more than 10 mins then I'll put a light sweater or jacket on.

at 60f(15.6c) I normally will put on a sweater with a long sleeve shirt underneath, or if it's windy wear a windbreaker with a long sleeve shirt underneath with jeans, T-shoes and a hat. 60f is as cold as I can be somewhat comfortable for long periods of time.

At 50f(10c) I normally will put on some gloves a jacket with a hood or hat and have a sweater underneath that's pulled over my nose with a Shirt underneath with jeans and some warm long socks.

At 40f that's when I break out my Alaskan Fur Coat with it's hood that was given to me as a gift. Underneath it a good sweater pulled over my nose( I often get hot with that big coat on so i'll take it off for awhile and just go with the sweater be4 I get cold again and put it back on) a long sleeve shirt and a T-shirt. I also switch From wearing T-shoes to boots and put 2 pairs of jeans on and 2 pairs of socks instead of just 1. oh and also some gloves.

At 30f everything that I said above for 40 except the fur coat stays on the whole time with the hood. at this point I'm very uncomfortable

At 20f everything above except that I'm Extremely Uncomfortable and I try not to go out. fortunately the only time I've experienced this was during a cold snap while camping in north florida. anything below 20f I've never experienced so I can't say. I just know I wouldn't go outside .

Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
yeah um in order for me to relate I'm going to have to raise the temps of each category by 40f.

so at 70f(21c) I normally will only have a long sleeve shirt on with jeans and T-shoes if it's for less than 10 mins . more than 10 mins then I'll put a light sweater or jacket on.

at 60f(15.6c) I normally will put on a sweater with a long sleeve shirt underneath, or if it's windy wear a windbreaker with a long sleeve shirt underneath with jeans, T-shoes and a hat. 60f is as cold as I can be somewhat comfortable for long periods of time.

At 50f(10c) I normally will put on some gloves a jacket with a hood or hat and have a sweater underneath that's pulled over my nose with a Shirt underneath with jeans and some warm long socks.

At 40f that's when I break out my Alaskan Fur Coat with it's hood that was given to me as a gift. Underneath it a good sweater pulled over my nose( I often get hot with that big coat on so i'll take it off for awhile and just go with the sweater be4 I get cold again and put it back on) a long sleeve shirt and a T-shirt. I also switch From wearing T-shoes to boots and put 2 pairs of jeans on and 2 pairs of socks instead of just 1. oh and also some gloves.

At 30f everything that I said above for 40 except the fur coat stays on the whole time with the hood. at this point I'm very uncomfortable

At 20f everything above except that I'm Extremely Uncomfortable and I try not to go out. fortunately the only time I've experienced this was during a cold snap while camping in north florida. anything below 20f I've never experienced so I can't say. I just know I wouldn't go outside .
Take everything down 10 degrees and that's how I feel.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
When it comes to how I dress there's about three temperatures. Really mostly two.

Cold/not cold.

If the former, I wear a coat and hat. If the latter, not a coat, usually a hat. The boundary of cold/not cold is 13-18°C depending on the weather conditions.

The third temp category would be "very cold". Usually below freezing and if it's windy. In that case, I may wear an extra body warmer (in addition to my fleece and coat and hat), an extra hat perhaps, maybe a scarf and sometimes gloves. Last March it was so cold and windy with -30 wind chill that I had to wear two hats.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
30F / -1 C: T-shirt

20 F / -7 C: A light jacket
Wao! you have a good resistance to cold...!

Above 22°C: T-shirt
Between 17°C and 22°C: long sleeve shirt or or light pull
Between 12°C and 17°C: T-sgirt + long sleeve shirt + mid-season jacket
Below 12°C: T-shirt + pull over + winter rain coast + light scarf
Below 5°: Same + light gloves and winter scarf
Below 0°: thermic underwear + winter pull-over + winter snow jacket + snow gloves + winter scarf + Cap
below -7°C: same as above, with mabye one more layer and winter boots
Below -12°C: all above + one more layer or complete ski suit
Below -20°C: That Same, I'll just would avoid going out as possible.

Last edited by french user; 09-03-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
30F / -1C - a jacket/hoody and jeans.

20F / -7C - a bigger coat and jeans.

10F / -12C - same as above, with gloves (very reluctantly).

0F / -18C - same as above, with hats and I'd probably have to take off my converse shoes and wear something a bit more substantial.

-20F / -29C - No idea - I'd probably have to buy a really big winter coat and thick leather boots.

-40F / -40C - Same as above.

The latter two I have no experience with whatsoever so I can't really say for sure.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,330 times
I don't have experience with the OP's full range of temps, but this is the scale I generally use for outdoor activity (walking, hiking, yard work, etc).

Above 30 C - tank top and shorts.

20-30 C - shorts and t-shirt.

10-20 C - pants, regular short-sleeve shirt, possibly a vest or light jacket in breezy and/or wet conditions closer to the 10 C mark.

0-10 C - pants, long sleeve shirt or sweater with vest jacket, or just my all-purpose jacket over a shirt.

-10 C up to freezing - pants, undershirt and long-sleeve shirt or sweater over it, plus all-purpose jacket. Gloves and hat if it's windy and/or snowy.

-10 C down to -20 C, (the limit of my experience) - pants with thermals underneath, a sweater with thermals or two undershirts, gloves and hat and heavy winter coat, good boots w/ wool socks if in snow. Plus a scarf if there's one handy...lol.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Since I live in a humid continental climate that almost borders on subarctic (May and September temps. are over the threshold by 1.5 degrees C each), I feel more cold in summer and fall than in winter and spring, due to acclimation. So I'll state how I dress in winter and spring, but add a good 10 degrees for the same clothing in summer and fall.

30F (-1C) T shirt and jeans

20F (-7C) A light sweater and jeans

10F (-12C) A light jacket and jeans, mittens

0F (-18C) Two layered jacket and jeans, mittens

-20F (-29C) Three layered jacket, jeans with fleece long underwear, toque/beanie and mittens

-40F (also -40C!) 3-layered jacket with sweater, insulated ski pants with long underwear, and accessories as above, plus a scarf
And yes, we do get -40 C, although only once or twice every winter. -30 C occurs far more frequently, sometimes even the daytime highs don't rise above -30 C.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times
Is this thread about just being outside for 10 minutes or lets say two hours +.

I don't understand how anyone can stand being outside for 2 hours or more in only a tshirt when it is -1c.

Heck even if its end of winter -1c feels too cold for me with only a long sleeve shirt and jeans even.

Tshirt in that weather would only be comfortable for me if I was very active doing something like skating or a heavy jog but even that is pushing it. In the spring I remember going out for a run with shorts and heavy sweatshirt in below freezing temps and I absolutely froze and couldn't feel my legs after I came back in and I was literally sprinting to get home after that.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post

I don't understand how anyone can stand being outside for 2 hours or more in only a tshirt when it is -1c.
Maybe humidity has something to do with it. When wearing moisture-absorbent clothing, a dry cold definitely feels balmier.
OTOH, humidity doesn't make a difference when dressing properly, like for cyclists who bike in cold winter weather (they wear layers of only wool and synthetic clothing) but most people don't have the time to dress up like that every day, even in cold climates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather