Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
I'd make my winters less cloudy. Damn stratojunk clouds and fugly drizzly rain do occur here unfortunately as the pancake flat land allows all the southwesterly ****e to roll on in unimpeded. Makes me appreciate the 350 hours + of sun in December and January all the more. Thankfully, most of our summer precipitation comes from thunderstorms.
Don't you also get cold snaps in Melbourne during the summer or something? Thought I saw a previous Aussie on here call Melbourne subantarctic maritime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM

98 posts, read 136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Don't you also get cold snaps in Melbourne during the summer or something? Thought I saw a previous Aussie on here call Melbourne subantarctic maritime
Cold in summer temps in Melbourne..... tell me about it.... regular cold fronts which drop daytime temps as low as 20C (often less than 15C in the morning) with full overcast that can last for days. Just one of the reasons why the place is the laughing stock of Australia. Some argue that Sydney is even cloudier, but it is more humid and lows average 20C in summer. Makes a world of difference.

Melbourne has the worst summers in Australia, but that is expected being the southernmost city in the country and the only one facing one of the coldest oceans in the world.

Melbourne has ****house summers, no two ways about it. Perfect one day, miserable the next 14.

Melbourne is the closest thing to the USA in Australia, but is also the closest thing to the Pacific Northwest...

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Cold in summer temps in Melbourne..... tell me about it.... regular cold fronts which drop daytime temps as low as 20C (often less than 15C in the morning) with full overcast that can last for days. Just one of the reasons why the place is the laughing stock of Australia. Some argue that Sydney is even cloudier, but it is more humid and lows average 20C in summer. Makes a world of difference.

Melbourne has the worst summers in Australia, but that is expected being the southernmost city in the country and the only one facing one of the coldest oceans in the world.

Melbourne has ****house summers, no two ways about it. Perfect one day, miserable the next 14.

Melbourne is the closest thing to the USA in Australia, but is also the closest thing to the Pacific Northwest...
I agree. Melbourne seems to be the only major city in Australia that can get affected by cold fronts like the U.S. does. The big difference is, it seems like your cold fronts are wet, whereas ours are dry. Ours bring in sunny weather but chilly temps. That's why so many Canadian and European tourists have a gotcha moment when they visit the South and it turns out much colder than they expected. Well, they just happened to come in on a day that a cold front just swept through. Give it several days with no cold fronts coming in and the South heats up again. Heck where I live in lower Northeast, it can get up to like 15°C in winter if no cold fronts pass through for at least 2 weeks.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
More frequent ECLs/or moist S-SE streams, with cloudy and rainy conditions prevailing, suits me just fine and getting rid of those horrible cold, dry and sunny westerly conditions even more :-)

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Heck where I live in lower Northeast, it can get up to like 15°C in winter if no cold fronts pass through for at least 2 weeks.
Amazing how its such a short distance from Toronto.
2 weeks with no cold fronts in winter and Toronto heats up to... 3 C/36 F?

Honestly, there's nothing to heat us usually because winter's so thick with cloud most of the time.
So you can slowly warm to 15 C because your winters aren't cloudy, or excessively cloudy?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I would make the winter temps here in SW FL about 60 degrees colder, so the average high in January is 13F instead of 73F. I would keep summer as is. I like having a variation in weather.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I would make the winter temps here in SW FL about 60 degrees colder, so the average high in January is 13F instead of 73F. I would keep summer as is. I like having a variation in weather.
No more alligators. Florida would look very different. Sonny and Tubs would be chasing the bad guys, on snowmobiles.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Amazing how its such a short distance from Toronto.
2 weeks with no cold fronts in winter and Toronto heats up to... 3 C/36 F?

Honestly, there's nothing to heat us usually because winter's so thick with cloud most of the time.
So you can slowly warm to 15 C because your winters aren't cloudy, or excessively cloudy?
Yep, that's right. Where I live, which is in York PA, we're on the same exact latitude as Madrid and Rome. Clouds wise, it's sunny or partly cloudy here for about 10 days each month in winter. York gets similar annual sunshine hours to Adelaide. Plus, being located south and east of the Appalachians help shield us from the more extreme cold and snow. That's why Pittsburgh is much colder and snowier than York, despite being 3 hours away due west. It can be -6°C in Pittsburgh but in York it would be 4°C and it's not unusual at all. The temperature map color roughly follows the curb of the Appalachians and so does the snowfall.

Another thing to take note, I live near the edge of what Köppen considers humid continental and subtropical. There are hotels 3 hours east of my house in Ocean City, MD that have those small, cold hardy palms growing

Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,243 times
Quote:

Didnt it snow in Melbourne a few years ago ON CHRISTMAS DAY (your summer)

Melbourne shivers at Christmas | Herald Sun

Its very strange. Australian cities seem to have a narrow range of winter temperatures, yet a massive range of summer ones.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I would get rid of sea breezes until early summer. There have been sea breezes here for the last 4 days, and at this time of year they are very nippy. By early summer they make the days more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather