Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times

Advertisements

So far since the hot season in the Desert Southwest started, cities like Phoenix have had few days with triple digit heat. Phoenix itself is running 1.8 F below normal.

However, this coming week should produce some of the hottest weather in the Mexican and American deserts so far this year. By early next week, lows in cities like Phoenix, Yuma, Palm Springs…etc should be around 70 F (21 C)….with highs near 100 – 105 F. So far Death Valley has hit 108 F (42 C) on May 8th and 107 F yesterday. The forecast high for Phoenix on Wednesday is 103 F (38 C)...and Death Valley might make 110 F:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nomadct/wed.jpg (broken link)

Nows that's what I call a nice late spring high temp forecast in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Laredo, Texas has reached 110F with lows around 80F.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Nows that's what I call a nice late spring high temp forecast in the USA
If you're referring to locations such as San Francisco and Sault Ste. Marie, then I agree.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I wonder if some of that heat can be sent up this way... it's only about 60F up here

Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Cold spell over in the west but it followed me home! I did a 10-day bus trip San Fran, down the coast to LA, over to Oatman, AZ, to Laughlin home from Vegas. The one warm day we had was in Oatman, only mid-70, Vegas was 68 (coldest high ever for that date)! I wore a sweater every day but one. Locals in oatman were complaining about the 70's we thought it was a heat wave! I was gone 5/10-5/20, home a week.

You don't expect San Fran to be warm in early May but everywhere we went was colder than normal for the whole 10 days, what a hoot! Wisconsin had several days warmer than we did! I laughed!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if some of that heat can be sent up this way... it's only about 60F up here
60F is awesome weather. You're lucky to be having that I'm serious. On the other hand if you want the heat and summer, 60 isn't enough. Be careful what you wish for. I can't understand why anyone would complain if the air temperature is at 60 degrees. I sure wouldn't. 60 is as awesome as it gets

Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Cold spell over in the west but it followed me home! I did a 10-day bus trip San Fran, down the coast to LA, over to Oatman, AZ, to Laughlin home from Vegas. The one warm day we had was in Oatman, only mid-70, Vegas was 68 (coldest high ever for that date)! I wore a sweater every day but one. Locals in oatman were complaining about the 70's we thought it was a heat wave! I was gone 5/10-5/20, home a week.

You don't expect San Fran to be warm in early May but everywhere we went was colder than normal for the whole 10 days, what a hoot! Wisconsin had several days warmer than we did! I laughed!
Wow, I cant believe Las Vegas reached only 68 degrees one of those days in mid to late May. Its average high right now is in the mid 90s.
Most days for the 10 day forecast shows Las Vegas to get into the 90s but it says May 29th will only have a high of 68 degrees So it will happen again.

Wow, that is funny that Wisconsin had several warmer days than those places you visited in the West lol.

San Francisco is usually much warmer than Wisconsin from November to April. But from May to August San Francisco is usually much colder than Wisconsin. lol

Last July, San Francisco had plenty of days with highs only in the mid to upper 50s with lows in the low 50s. But in January of this past year San Francisco had plenty of days with highs in the mid to upper 60s and low 70s! So strange that San Francisco was warmer in January 2011 than July 2010!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I was just going to say it was about time someone took over the highest temp in America away from Laredo. Just click on this link to see who's had it this past year. I know once summer hits, places like Death Valley or Phoenix probably take the highest temp award, but until then, it's usually some place in Texas or Florida.

May 2011 highs and lows - USATODAY.com

Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
So far since the hot season in the Desert Southwest started, cities like Phoenix have had few days with triple digit heat. Phoenix itself is running 1.8 F below normal.
Actually, the "hot season" doesn't typically begin in the SW until June. The month of May is still pretty decent on average ... although it can be a variable month in terms of temperatures (sometimes hot, and sometimes on the cool side). This May is running a bit below normal in Phoenix (and the SW in general) because of the increased frequency of cold fronts pushing further south. They haven't contained a lot of moisture, but they have contained some pretty cool air masses for this time of year. That said, Phoenix has still reached 100 degrees three times in May so far.

These dry cold fronts are partly responsible for the massive tornado outbreaks in the Midwest & South this spring. The dry air collides with the moist air from the Gulf of Mexico and creates these monster storms which produce tornadoes. If the high pressure ridge was stronger across the SW, there would have likely been fewer tornadoes this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Laredo gets these hot spells frequently during the spring months. I never could fully figure out the reason ... but I was told it has to do with the southwesterly wind flow bringing in the hot air from the deserts of Mexico.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I like variable weather so I found the unusual temps interesting. Some of the people were really unhappy but I don't stress over things out of my control (whine sometimes, yes, stress, no)!

I do have that kind of luck though, a few years back I went to Scottsdale in May, and hit a "warmer than normal" spell!

San Francisco weather/climate is not for everyone, very changeable and unpredictable. I was happy we weren't in total fog the days we were there, views were awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather