Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you grade this climate, based on your own preferences?
A 1 4.76%
B 7 33.33%
C 9 42.86%
D 4 19.05%
F 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Synopsis: Parsmont's climate is marked by a somewhat wet, humid season lasting from approximately September to December, dry, windy weather from February to July, with January and August being transitional months.

In terms of temperatures, it is a mild climate, with an average annual temperature of 60 degrees. Monthly averages range from 48 in January to 72 in July. The temperature descends below freezing on an average of 11 days per year (SD +/- 3.5 days); it rises above 90 on 13 (SD +/- 5.1 days).

There is marked variation in temperature and precipitation from year to year; the most variable months are February and March. On 18 February 2011, for example, a low temperature of 14 degrees F (-10 degrees C), the third lowest in Parsmont's history, was recorded; the high for the same day was 39 degrees F (4 degrees C). Four days later, a record high of 88 degrees F (31 degrees C) was set. However, the low temperature is generally in the range of 32 degrees (in January and February) to 68 degrees (in August) (0 to 20 degrees C), and the high temperature most often in the range of 50 degrees F to 90 degrees F.

An interesting aspect of Parsmont's climate for inhabitants of more continental climates is that the highest annual temperatures are often reached in the months of May and June. Strong southeasterlies bring hot, dry, and windy conditions, with temperatures exceeding 95 degrees F (35 degrees C) yet dewpoints not exceeding 50 degrees F (10 degrees C). However, these conditions are passing, and temperatures normally return to the mid 70's to mid 80's F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,988 times
I gave it a B. winters could be just a wee bit cooler to ensure dormancy, but temps are good otherwise. Summer is far too dry . I would prefer rainfall totals of 3-4 inches during the summer months. Too many wet days during fall/early winter, and the sunshine % is right at my top limit.

It would still be easy to enjoy this climate as it is though.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
I give it a C. Average temperatures look comfortable, there's at least a slight taste of winter, and there is a defined wet season. My only qualms would be the sunniness, dry season, and warm southeasterlies. But it does seem interesting for variety's sake.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
C. It's liveable and it doesn't get too warm. It looks a bit windy compared to what I'm used to, so that's a plus. Having a mix of weather from dry in May-June to wet later in the year is more fun, in my opinion, as I like seeing different conditions during sunrise (cloudy/foggy sometimes and no clouds in the sky some other times).

Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
I grade it a D. Not enough snow and too warm during the winter. Seems a bit boring to me to be quite honest, but I can see how that would be a great climate for outdoor activities.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I'd give it a C. The summers look alright but the winter is barely acceptable at all. The fact that it has 11 frost days and gets 0.8" of snowfall a year is way too cold in my opinion. In my ideal climate, frost and snowfall would be virtually impossible.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
I have it a B. Overall good but a little too dry. Not enough seasonal variation. But I like the long and relatively mild summers.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I gave it a D, of course, Midwest gal that I am! Almost went for what I figured would be the first "F" but didn't do it!

Not enough temperature change, too dry and to be honest quite boring!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd give it a C. The summers look alright but the winter is barely acceptable at all. The fact that it has 11 frost days and gets 0.8" of snowfall a year is way too cold in my opinion. In my ideal climate, frost and snowfall would be virtually impossible.
North FL has similar winter temperatures to this city....you think North FL is "too cold"?

With an average annual snowfall of 0.8", there are probably many snowless winters, in fact there are probably periods of 5-10 years that there is no snow.

With 11 days below 32F, there are probably winters in which there are no sub-32 nights. Even though I don't see how it's even possible to have an average low of 38 but only 11 frost days

Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
North FL has similar winter temperatures to this city....you think North FL is "too cold"?

With an average annual snowfall of 0.8", there are probably many snowless winters, in fact there are probably periods of 5-10 years that there is no snow.

With 11 days below 32F, there are probably winters in which there are no sub-32 nights. Even though I don't see how it's even possible to have an average low of 38 but only 11 frost days
Any snow or freezing temps or even the possibility of such is not the kind of climate I like. I think North Florida is far too cold to be my ideal. Jacksonville and Pensacola have record lows in the single digits Fahrenheit. Even in Vancouver where I live has record lows that are only slightly colder and I find it way too cold here. This fictitious location has a record low of 12F which is only marginally better.
To me, my ideal location would not have record lows anywhere below 50F or so. 100% Tropical with as little temperature variation as possible.
Somewhere like Honolulu, HI, Darwin, NT or Singapore would fit the bill perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather