Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times

Advertisements

Interesting reading! Wonder what the pay is for the plumbing in Antarctic? For an adventurous sort, it would be great (short term, of course) but if it required long term commitment, nope!

I've always liked to visit faraway places but no matter how exotic, couldn't imagine living in them. I really liked St. John's, Newfoundland and would love to go back for a longer visit. Many people rave about Hawaii been there many times, it is gorgeous but not high on my list to even go back again.

When it comes right down to it, I'm just a little strange, so many people I talk to would love to live somewhere else, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting reading! Wonder what the pay is for the plumbing in Antarctic? For an adventurous sort, it would be great (short term, of course) but if it required long term commitment, nope!

I've always liked to visit faraway places but no matter how exotic, couldn't imagine living in them. I really liked St. John's, Newfoundland and would love to go back for a longer visit. Many people rave about Hawaii been there many times, it is gorgeous but not high on my list to even go back again.

When it comes right down to it, I'm just a little strange, so many people I talk to would love to live somewhere else, not me.
The pay is actually quite low compared to what you'd get for the same job here, about $38,000 a year (roughly what the average person earns in this country), but flights/accommodation/food all paid for and there's nothing to spend your money on I suppose, so it's a fairly good deal. Contracts are from four to 18 months, though I can't imagine it would be a full-time job for all that time.

Escape the job freeze: Joiners and plumbers in stampede for South Pole posts (even though it's -50c) | Mail Online

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
I know someone who would just love to give everything all up and head out there to take up a permanent plumbing role - SAB

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I know someone who would just love to give everything all up and head out there to take up a permanent plumbing role - SAB
He'd like the 2938 sunshine hours though, as would I now I think about it. November apparently has an average of 600 hours, so precisely 20 hours a day of measureable sunshine, surely a record anywhere in the world! Presumably there have been many days with 24 hours of sunshine recorded. Oddest set of climate data I've ever seen:

South Pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd be interested in knowing what the North Pole's sunshine figures are, but I'm not sure if there is a weather station there. I remember in the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten they give weather data for the two Poles though for some reason, so maybe there is?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
He'd like the 2938 sunshine hours though, as would I now I think about it. November apparently has an average of 600 hours, so precisely 20 hours a day of measureable sunshine, surely a record anywhere in the world! Presumably there have been many days with 24 hours of sunshine recorded. Oddest set of climate data I've ever seen:

South Pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd be interested in knowing what the North Pole's sunshine figures are, but I'm not sure if there is a weather station there. I remember in the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten they give weather data for the two Poles though for some reason, so maybe there is?
Although those 3,000 sunshine hours look impressive, it is pretty much a solid hit at once with a five month total sun absence during winter!

It probably has one of the most skewed sunshine stats anywhere.

No amount of money would convince me to work in either of the Poles. Would love to visit out of curiosity, but the unfavourable climate and lack of activities would be unbearable (although I'd load my Kindle up with a stack of books).

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Where is the climate so bad that no amount of money could make it worth it to live there?

I don't think I would move to North Dakota, South Dakota, or Minnesota, not even for a 6-figure salary. I have heard that Minneapolis is a great city, but its just too cold. I would think about it long and hard, but at the end of the day, I am pretty sure that I would turn down a significant pay raise if it meant having to relocate to this part of the country.
The southwest. I could only live in Phoenix, El Paso, or any of the other major areas in Texas if I got a major pay raise...at least a 50% increase in pay ($50k to $75k). The other area would be Florida and other areas of the southeast. I do not like long, hot summers.

I couldn't live in the Dakotas because there is not that much there...

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The southwest. I could only live in Phoenix, El Paso, or any of the other major areas in Texas if I got a major pay raise...at least a 50% increase in pay ($50k to $75k). The other area would be Florida and other areas of the southeast. I do not like long, hot summers.

I couldn't live in the Dakotas because there is not that much there...
Agreed. Couldn't imagine living in such a boring climate.

I don't think I would mind the Dakotas too much, but it would be a little too dry and sunny for me. I would certainly take Fargo over Phoenix or Miami anyday.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 AM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Well, for the right amount of dough, there's not many places I wouldn't consider. Once you get into 7 figures, or higher (theoretically speaking), you could buy yourself lots and lots of heaters. Or sun lamps. Or air conditioning and swimming pools.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Another place I wouldn't live is central China. 1000hrs of yearly sunshine - no thanks.
Sounds great! Less sun with more rain the better! I most certainly would not live in a place that offers less than a thousand millimetres per annum!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Nearly all places I would choose to live in would have 800mm or less annual rainfall, and about 350mm or less would be much better. In my earlier career I wouldn't have returned to either Dunedin or Invercargill for any money, as I was sick of their cloudy climates. Working in the UK would never have been a starter for me, as only the southern coastal fringes would have been climatically semi-acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather