Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Milder?
Colorado 15 78.95%
Pennsylvania 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

I chose Colorado. When I flew into Denver in the middle of December a few years ago, it was 60 F. Of course it was much colder and snowier by the time I got to the mountains. But generally it seems as though much of Colorado is more likely to see mild winter days than Pennsylvania.

I remember finding 19 F surprisingly comfortable since it was so dry. 19 F here on the eastern seaboard usually feels frigid with a combination of wind and higher humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Just noticed I have to choose between Pennsylvania and Colorado, well neither really, both have winters that suck. Even London's better.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I chose Colorado, temps there are on a wild swing but definitely milder than Penna. I was amazed at Colorado, how arid and dry it is, not as green as I expected, also warmer than I thought it would be. I've visited there several times, driving not flying.

One time I was there for a late season snowfall, driving from Denver to Durango, lots of snow and next day it was almost gone because it got so warm. There are cold temps, variances with the elevation, but you aren't living on the top of a mountain.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Just noticed I have to choose between Pennsylvania and Colorado, well neither really, both have winters that suck. Even London's better.
Even though I don't like the winter temps of Philadelphia or Denver, their winter sunshine is way better than London gets. I think Denver would be my choice.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
I haven't really looked up either climate but from what I know I'd say Colorado because of the extra sun, which presumably at altitude is still pretty bright and strong compared to what we get, though the variability of temperatures would send me crazy with not knowing how heavily to dress from day to day. Pennsylvania from what I know at least has four distinct seasons.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I haven't really looked up either climate but from what I know I'd say Colorado because of the extra sun, which presumably at altitude is still pretty bright and strong compared to what we get, though the variability of temperatures would send me crazy with not knowing how heavily to dress from day to day. Pennsylvania from what I know at least has four distinct seasons.
Both places have four distinct seasons and both can see wild swings in temperatures, but I'd say Pennsylvania is more stable. Sunnier and dryer in Colorado, but PA still sees its fair share of sunshine (although it is pretty cloudy by the Great Lakes).

Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
As far as winter goes I would have to agree. But the other nine months of the year really aren't bad at all, and usually always warmer and sunnier than London(Philly that is).

Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If we compare Denver with Philly, it's like comparing apples and oranges really. If you want to look at raw numbers, then I think Philly wins out. However, Denver has warmer winter highs than Philly and lower humidity in the summer and winter too I imagine. This probably makes the weather overall more comfortable even if on paper Denver is slightly colder.
Denver is colder than Philly throughout the year mainly thru much colder/cooler nights. Daytime highs are pretty close. Denver gets more sun, but much more variability. I've heard of laying snow there in May (unheard of here), and the baseball playoffs in October have shown everyone how truly cold it can get there so early in the year. Not to go off topic, but they shouldn't have a baseball team there. You don't play baseball when the temp is below freezing, and snow in the bleachers.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Currently 61 F in Denver, 46 F in Philadelphia.

Next few days in Denver will be in the 60s...generally cooler in Philadelphia. But I think Denver sees more snow in the spring than Philadelphia.

I prefer Philadelphia's climate, but wouldn't mind Denver's too much. The dryness is annoying, but would be welcomed during the summer. Too much sunshine as well. One of the things I distinctly remember is being thirsty all the time in Colorado.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I live in Vail, Colorado at 8150 feet above sea level. Right now it is 45 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and I'm in a t-shirt and jeans, if it's above 30 degrees a coat isn't needed. I grew up on the east coast and the humidity out there makes it feel much colder than here even if the temperature is the same. It's a rare stretch that we have 3 days without sun and even though we get much more snow where I live it melts off quickly due to the strength of the sun and the altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather