Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Climate: Seattle, Washington
A 16 13.45%
B 23 19.33%
C 29 24.37%
D 28 23.53%
F 23 19.33%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,232,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Oceanic climates can be a mixed bag, but it's the year round intrusion of frontal activity originating in the polar zone, that define them. Paris is very much in that category.
I'd say most of the year is enough to count as oceanic, especially if the fronts and cloudiness are as frequent as Seattle. Its patterns for all but a few months are far out of the usual of most Mediterrean climats.

Quote:
Paris might have a bigger seasonal range than an Oceanic climate like mine. But my climate has greater diurnal range and sunshine (both indicative of a more Continental climate) and I don't see my climate as more continental than Paris.
I'd use annual range as an indicator of continentality more than diurnal range, with a latitude adjustment. I don't think forgetten username was referring to diurnal range.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,253,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
This winter in the Northwest has been insanely warm! The cherry blossoms are already blooming for God's sake. It's been 40s and 50s and even 60s since New Years, hardly any freezing days. It feels more like April than February and more like northern California than Oregon/Washington. Last summer was insanely hot and I feel like this summer will be too. I think we had 3 weeks total of 90+ days and tons of nights that failed to drop below 60F. One day at dawn in August it was still near room temperature, and the humidity was probably about 80-90%. Yuck.
Oh. My. God. Yes.

Pretty sure this January turned out to be the warmest on record. We have flowers coming up in our backyard

Yet, I am still hearing people gripe about it and asking for summer to hurry up. Ugh.

I've become so disillusioned because our winters don't amount to any sort of real winter at all, while our summers are growing ever hotter with each passing year. Last summer we had almost no cloudy days and the majority of days seemed to hit 80+ degrees. It was enough to **** me off lol.

It's time for me to make my exit. Anchorage's climate will suit me much better I'm leaving here in June, so last summer was my final summer in the Seattle area. Hallelujah.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Oh. My. God. Yes.

Pretty sure this January turned out to be the warmest on record. We have flowers coming up in our backyard

Yet, I am still hearing people gripe about it and asking for summer to hurry up. Ugh.

I've become so disillusioned because our winters don't amount to any sort of real winter at all, while our summers are growing ever hotter with each passing year. Last summer we had almost no cloudy days and the majority of days seemed to hit 80+ degrees. It was enough to **** me off lol.

It's time for me to make my exit. Anchorage's climate will suit me much better I'm leaving here in June, so last summer was my final summer in the Seattle area. Hallelujah.
I'm pretty sure one day in the deep south during summer will make you cry loudly, LOL .

As for the climate, I give it a B. Nice summers (compared to here), but lack of snow saps away 1 letter grade.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,253,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I'm pretty sure one day in the deep south during summer will make you cry loudly, LOL .

As for the climate, I give it a B. Nice summers (compared to here), but lack of snow saps away 1 letter grade.
I completely agree with you there.

There's a reason I've never step foot in the deep south

Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 PM

578 posts, read 588,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Ugh. A city that has a reputation for being "rainy" but sees less thunderstorms than L.A
Cold, overcast, drizzle 9 months a year and a lukewarm summer. Ugh

D- and not an F because it usually doesn't get super cold and they do get warmer and sunnier summers than San Francisco.
Four months of the year at most are actually cloudy...

Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,239,228 times
Quote:
Oceanic climates can be a mixed bag, but it's the year round intrusion of frontal activity originating in the polar zone, that define them. Paris is very much in that category.

Paris might have a bigger seasonal range than an Oceanic climate like mine. But my climate has greater diurnal range and sunshine (both indicative of a more Continental climate) and I don't see my climate as more continental than Paris.
You have a more purely meteorological definition of things. I use charts and means.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,527,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But Seattle's cool season precipitation isn't really typical of Mediterranean climates at all, it's only three or so months where Seattle is an exception. Very frequent drizzle and frontal systems passing through, most of the cool season precipitation is from subpolar lows that are rather stuck.

Oceanic climates often have a drying trend in the warmest months. Seattle's is just more extreme than most. This climate is rather Seattle like:.
Mediterranean provides the best understanding of Seattle's climate -latitude alone can explain differences to other Mediterranean climates.

Oceanic doesn't provide the best understanding, as it doesn't have an Oceanic climate year round.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,527,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
You have a more purely meteorological definition of things. I use charts and means.
Charts and means are for Holiday guides. They can't explain why a place has the climate it does.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,525,262 times
Seattle is an A for sure and one of a handful of places I'd be willing to move to if we ever had to leave my beloved Humboldt.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,232,015 times
Quote:
Mediterranean provides the best understanding of Seattle's climate -latitude alone can explain differences to other Mediterranean climates.
But you could say that about many climate shifts that latitude alone could explain.

Quote:
Oceanic doesn't provide the best understanding, as it doesn't have an Oceanic climate year round.
I disagree that oceanic requires every month to be rainy. But there's no right answer. Note a drying trend is common in other oceanic climates:

Southampton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pacific Northwest climates that are not blocked by mountains have summers not that different but are much wetter in the summer:

Aberdeen, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather