Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Sydney, Australia?
A 28 31.82%
B 31 35.23%
C 15 17.05%
D 8 9.09%
E 2 2.27%
F 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I voted A but would have voted A- if there was such an option. Maybe even B+.
I think I would really enjoy the long, mild summers. Winters are ok too but I'd miss snow. But then again I wouldn't

The amount of sunshine is ok. I like sunny weather as much as the next guy but I don't want to die of skin cancer (as I probably would if I lived in Perf uhh Perth.)
I think we get about the same amount of sun as NYC give or take 100 hours across the year.

Our is distributed more evenly throughout the year although our % peak (of max available) occurs late winter, early spring and the trough is Jan/Feb.

You need to be especially careful with UV levels down here but, as they say, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I think we get about the same amount of sun as NYC give or take 100 hours across the year.

Our is distributed more evenly throughout the year although our % peak (of max available) occurs late winter, early spring and the trough is Jan/Feb.

You need to be especially careful with UV levels down here but, as they say, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
Weird that the sunshine max is winter. I'd give it an A- for that.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'd say B also. Am curious, what are the sea surface temps in summer?
Here is a good link to sea temperatures across the year for the major Australian cities (cannot vouch for the credibility of the data but seems fairly accurate):

Sea Temperatures around Australia’s Cities

Temps in Celcuis - summertime in Sydney, temps range from 21-24C (71-75F).

I can comfortably swim in the ocean around 9 months of the year - I recall having a warm swim in June last year. There is variation within each month though ("upwelling" can occur along much of the NSW coastline)

Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Furthermore to the sea temperatures, I've noticed there is micro variation dependent on where you swim. The inner harbour beaches are usually a lot warmer than the ocean beaches (but obviously the downside is the lack of surf).

Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Weird that the sunshine max is winter. I'd give it an A- for that.
No, that's not really weird (we're talking % possible here, but for many places it also applies to absolute values). Plenty of cases to be found in:

(a) tropical savannah/wetter summer-drier winter climates (like a good chunk of Brazil for instance, and parts of inland South Africa as another example),

(b) semi-tropical/warmer temperate areas on eastern continental fringes (Australia, S Africa).

In maritime temperate NZ, in the South Island, much of it is no cloudier (%wise) in winter than summer, and in east coast and plains/lowland hills of South Canterbury and North Otago winter is sunnier than summer. In a smaller part of South Canterbury the difference ranges up to 10%.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,988 times
A. I've always enjoyed Sydney weather, sunny winters and tropical feeling summers. Good rainfall as well, if the winter min temps were just a bit lower , it would be perfect.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
B+ Summers definitely nice and winters are acceptable. The most redeeming thing about Sydney's climate is the winter. Snow and frost are virtually impossible for the most part.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Here is a good link to sea temperatures across the year for the major Australian cities (cannot vouch for the credibility of the data but seems fairly accurate):

Sea Temperatures around Australia’s Cities

Temps in Celcuis - summertime in Sydney, temps range from 21-24C (71-75F).

I can comfortably swim in the ocean around 9 months of the year - I recall having a warm swim in June last year. There is variation within each month though ("upwelling" can occur along much of the NSW coastline)
Are these temps for the ocean beaches or micro-climate areas? I think they are rather nice and make the climate that much better. Intersting to me is that the southeast of the USA, including Florida, has colder ocean temps than Sydney, and I had always thought otherwise. I guess the gulf stream is not as powerful at the warm ocean currents around Sydney. Who knew.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
B+ Summers definitely nice and winters are acceptable. The most redeeming thing about Sydney's climate is the winter. Snow and frost are virtually impossible for the most part.
There is the key diff. In the USA, even in Florida, you cannot escape the brutal cold outbreaks from the arctic, while in Australia they just don't happen. People go on and on about the beautiful Florida climate. However, once a person spends tons of bucks to go down there for a winter break, only to find it ruined by a cold outbreak they soon learn their lesson. The USA in winter has NO WHERE that is safe from the Arctic.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There is the key diff. In the USA, even in Florida, you cannot escape the brutal cold outbreaks from the arctic, while in Australia they just don't happen. People go on and on about the beautiful Florida climate. However, once a person spends tons of bucks to go down there for a winter break, only to find it ruined by a cold outbreak they soon learn their lesson. The USA in winter has NO WHERE that is safe from the Arctic.
Yeah no kidding... the fact that freezing temperatures have happened around Miami is pretty incredible even if it is exceptionally rare.
The only places I can think of in the USA where you can get away from Arctic outbreaks completely are: Key West, FL, Low elevation Hawaii and the territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and USVI. All of these places have never recorded a frost in the history of observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather