Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
Is Hong Kong then tropical instead of subtropical because it is below the Tropic of Cancer, even though its mean temp in the coldest month is only 16.3C? Using your logic: It is below the Tropic of Cancer and therefore less prone to extreme cold. So it's tropical, not subtropical.

If North America didn't extend so far north it wouldn't get so severe cold snaps. The relevant fact is that there is a huge continent extending very far north that's capable of delivering very cold air to the place. It's not about whether the place is a little above of below the tropic. The tropic is a line that divides places that have the sun directly overhead at some time in the year from those that don't - and that's it. There's nothing magical about the tropic that would make places above it prone to extreme cold and places below it not.

BTW some places (mostly island and coastal places, for obvious reasons) that are far from the tropics yet never or extremely rarely drop below freezing. Bermuda is further north of the Tropic of Cancer than all of Florida and never gets close to freezing. At 32N, its record lows are like Key West, which is at 24N. It's also remarkable that Bermuda at that latitude almost has a tropical climate. It hasn't been below freezing for decades in places like Auckland (37S), Wellington (41S) or Wilson's Promontory (39S). It has never been below freezing in Almería (37N). Azores (37N) and Tristan da Cunha (37S) have record lows several degrees C above freezing. North India (latitudes about 30N) has very mild record lows for a place far inland in a continent that extends far to the north like America (and it's more impressive considering how close the record lows are to average lows in winter - for example in Delhi that difference is only 8C, that's not something you see in America no matter if coastal on inland, although Lake Havasu city is close to it: 6C coldest month average low and -4C all time record low) - looks like it's because the Himalayas and the other mountain ranges in the region are so huge that cold air from the north has absolutely no chance to pass (and it's blowing from inland in winter there!).
Hong Kong gets those temperatures in the elevated areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM

152 posts, read 226,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Hong Kong gets those temperatures in the elevated areas.
That climatic table is for the Hong Kong Observatory. I don't know where exactly the station is located but the Observatory is at 45m elevation inside of the city. I don't think it is much anywhere else in the area. Shenzen and Guangzhou are significantly colder. It's under the tropic but too cold in winter to be considered tropical. Florida is above the tropic but too warm not to be considered tropical. Lima at 12S is too cold to be considered tropical. The area within the tropics and the area of tropical climates match only roughly.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Lima is an elevated city.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM

152 posts, read 226,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Lima is an elevated city.
No, it's so cold there right on the coast, at sea level. It's because of the cold Humboldt current.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
That climatic table is for the Hong Kong Observatory. I don't know where exactly the station is located but the Observatory is at 45m elevation inside of the city.
45 meters isn't a significant difference, and besides, the city extends to areas away from the immediate coastline (sort of like Miami).

Quote:
No, it's so cold there right on the coast, at sea level. It's because of the cold Humboldt current.
Indeed. If you want an elevated climate look at La Paz and Juliaca. Some of those areas actually have alpine tundra climates.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm in St. Augustine right now, and while I prefer a true tropical climate, I must say that I am loving the weather! The OP was almost spot on!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Well, San Diego has an average temperature of 70F as well...St. Augustine is more prone to brief snaps of extreme cold, so despite warmer summers and ocean temps, I think that's why they have the same average temperature.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Surely you jest that St. Augustine is the best climate? Heat. Humidity....no thanks. I would take Vegas over St. Augustine any day. At least Vegas is a dry heat.
Vegas is too cold in wintertime, though. Plus, the summer monsoon still makes it get quite humid out there. Humid and 86F is better than humid and 105F. Not to mention that you get a nice Atlantic breeze, and the ocean, in St. Augustine. Not so in Vegas.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
Winters seem comfortable for cold-haters but summers are too hot and humid not to mention risk of hurricanes....
I would give it a C +, livable and definitely preferable to any extreme climate but I'd like the winters to be a little colder for sure and would be uncomfortable during the heat of the summer days.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM

I'd give it a B. It still is too cold for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather