Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newcastle or Charleston?
Newcastle 16 57.14%
Charleston 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i believe hardiness for those is 10a. like with a lot of tropical plants people try to grow them beyond their intended range. i've seen some Foxtail Palms in Orlando, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, and even a few in St. Augustine. I remember seeing one as far north as Fernandina Beach. unfortunately they will all eventually die. even ones in 10a may die if the 1980's return.

The saddest part to me is that the Southeast can't even grow a decent Jacaranda tree. Talk about beautiful and subtropical. They are all over the place in Joburg and Buenos Aires, LA and San Diego. I doubt they would even survive long term in Orlando, because they don't like instability in winter. They don't want to go from 70F to 20F in one week.

I know they tried those in New Orleans to no avail. They were killed. Same for Houston. If a place can grow them they would be everywhere cause they are stunning.

And again I don't know how you can call the winter temps in Charleston exciting if you like mild winters. Only in the last 20 years or so did the real cold stop. But even before the 1980's every ten years or so they would get brutally cold down into low teens or single digits. Single digits in the 1960's, 10F in the 1970's, etc. Every ten years or so low teens temps. That is just stupid cold for such a low latitude and sea level subtropical climate.

And it is true, gardeners there live with the fear that a winter is going to wipe out their plants. That doesn't happen in other subtropical climates, or at least not nearly as often.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,430,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The saddest part to me is that the Southeast can't even grow a decent Jacaranda tree. Talk about beautiful and subtropical. They are all over the place in Joburg and Buenos Aires, LA and San Diego. I doubt they would even survive long term in Orlando, because they don't like instability in winter. They don't want to go from 70F to 20F in one week.

I know they tried those in New Orleans to no avail. They were killed. Same for Houston. If a place can grow them they would be everywhere cause they are stunning.
Not everyone is a fan, though.

Jacarandas: You either love them or hate them - LA Times

Quote:
And it is true, gardeners there live with the fear that a winter is going to wipe out their plants. That doesn't happen in other subtropical climates, or at least not nearly as often.
You must really be into gardening? Obviously they aren't that afraid or they wouldn't have planted something unsuitable in the first place.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 PM

633 posts, read 659,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
You must really be into gardening? Obviously they aren't that afraid or they wouldn't have planted something unsuitable in the first place.
orange farmers in Florida are afraid in the winter. they literally hold their breath and cross their fingers every year. to be fair they aren't worried so much about the trees as they are losing the fruit.

let me tell you guys a story:

there is a town not too far away from me called Fruit Cove, FL. Back in the early 1900's the area was loaded with citrus farms along the St. Johns River. but by the late 1950's cold snaps started to get worse and worse and eventually farmers gave up and moved away from Fruit Cove. you can still see a lot of orange trees in the area and a few large ones that grow some pretty nice fruit. but the area isn't as good as it once was for growing citrus.

Quote:
And again I don't know how you can call the winter temps in Charleston exciting if you like mild winters. Only in the last 20 years or so did the real cold stop. But even before the 1980's every ten years or so they would get brutally cold down into low teens or single digits. Single digits in the 1960's, 10F in the 1970's, etc. Every ten years or so low teens temps. That is just stupid cold for such a low latitude and sea level subtropical climate.
well... i was really thinking about my area when i said that, which is about 10°F warmer on average. i typically see one 45°F/25°F day a year. and plenty of 70°F/50°F days even in January. and the coldest temperature my area ever saw was 15°F.

yea i'm not a huge fan of Charleston, and to be honest i wish my area didn't get so cold either.
i wish i could grow an Alexander Palm

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 04-19-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
orange farmers in Florida are afraid in the winter. they literally hold their breath and cross their fingers every year. to be fair they aren't worried so much about the trees as they are losing the fruit.

i live near a town called Fruit Cove, FL. Back in the early 1900's the area was loaded with citrus farms along the St. Johns River. but by the late 1950's cold snaps started to get worse and worse and eventually farmers gave up and moved away from Fruit Cove. you can still see a lot of orange trees in the area and a few large ones that grow some pretty nice fruit. but the area isn't as good as it once was for growing citrus.

well... i was really thinking about my area when i said that, which is about 10°F warmer on average. i typically see one 45°F/25°F day a year. and plenty of 70°F/50°F days even in January. and the coldest temperature my area ever saw was 15°F.

yea i'm not a huge fan of Charleston, and to be honest i wish my area didn't get so cold either.
i wish i could grow an Alexander Palm
Citrus farmers in FL should just give up. Throw in the towel and admit the climate sucks for growing oranges. Do farmers in Spain, Italy, China, Australia or Argentina cross their fingers every winter? I doubt it.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,430,924 times
Quote:

i live near a town called Fruit Cove, FL. Back in the early 1900's the area was loaded with citrus farms along the St. Johns River. but by the late 1950's cold snaps started to get worse and worse and eventually farmers gave up and moved away from Fruit Cove. you can still see a lot of orange trees in the area and a few large ones that grow some pretty nice fruit. but the area isn't as good as it once was for growing citrus.
That's what I mean. Didn't think Tom77falcons was planning to be in the citrus industry.

Quote:
the coldest temperature my area ever saw was 15°F.
10 was recorded at the lighthouse.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
10 was recorded at the lighthouse.
oh, your right. St. Augustine is a very good microclimate though, we have a surprising amount of tender plants growing in courtyards that survive a lot of winters.

also Jacksonville Beach, FL has a record low of 14°F so i'm sure there are many areas of St. Augustine with a record low around 15°F. i don't like throwing around the word "cold spot" but in this case for the lighthouse it might be...

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,267,624 times
The "cold spot" of St. Augustine is right next to the ocean?

Old 04-19-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
The "cold spot" of St. Augustine is right next to the ocean?
well its on the north shore of Anastasia Island and still about a mile away from the ocean. maybe its more exposed being on the north shore?

also the weather instrumentation might be at the top of the lighthouse 150ft above the ground? (i'm not sure what the standard elevation for climate recording is so maybe this is irrelevant)

Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,267,624 times
Inland areas of the city would surely get colder.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 11,370 times
Quote:

Actually, there are Jacarandas in both Houston and New Orleans. If you actually get out the house, and stop wasting time posting this stuff on an internet forum, you would see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.