Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newcastle or Charleston?
Newcastle 16 57.14%
Charleston 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:47 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRk AnToNy View Post
Actually, there are Jacarandas in both Houston and New Orleans. If you actually get out the house, and stop wasting time posting this stuff on an internet forum, you would see that.
well he has a point though. i'm not very familiar with Jacaranda and i don't look for them when i travel but i did a little research and it seems young Jacaranda are very sensitive to cold temperatures, only being resilient to around 26°F/-3°C. older ones can probably handle temperatures as low as 15°F/-10°C. however, both New Orleans and Houston have seen those temperatures before (and even colder than that) so i can see how they would eventually die. i'm sure there are a few but probably not nearly as many as you would see in Central and South Florida 10a.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Look, I'm a fan of these "subtropical debates", but can we please restrict them to one thread?

You are now discussing them on three threads (including this, "Australia Is A Subtropical Paradise" and "Subtropical Debate").

Give it a rest?

I think Nei should close this thread and you guys can continue discussing this at the "Subtropical debate" thread or something.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 11,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
well he has a point though. i'm not very familiar with Jacaranda and i don't look for them when i travel but i did a little research and it seems young Jacaranda are very sensitive to cold temperatures, only being resilient to around 26°F/-3°C. older ones can probably handle temperatures as low as 15°F/-10°C. however, both New Orleans and Houston have seen those temperatures before (and even colder than that) so i can see how they would eventually die. i'm sure there are a few but probably not nearly as many as you would see in Central and South Florida 10a.
If Jacaranda trees can grow in Oregon and Nevada, they will be fine in Houston and New Orleans.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
If Jacaranda trees can grow in Oregon and Nevada, they will be fine in Houston and New Orleans.
lol you don't have to make assumptions like that. look at the data yourself. they die at 15°F/-10°C or lower. Houston and New Orleans get that cold. they will eventually die.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
lol you don't have to make assumptions like that. look at the data yourself. they die at 15°F/-10°C or lower. Houston and New Orleans get that cold. they will eventually die.
Houston and New Orleans have not reached the teens at all since the late 80s freeze. Any Jacaranda grown since that time would survive.

Those temps you talk of have occurred in Nevada, and Oregon, where Jacarandas grow just fine. Again, if locations in those states can grow Jacarandas, them Houston, and New Orleans would grow them easily. A piece of cake.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Houston and New Orleans have not reached the teens at all since the late 80s freeze. Any Jacaranda grown since that time would survive.
after less than a minute of looking:
Houston 19°F in 1996
New Orleans 16°F in 1996
probably others as well...
the Jacaranda may have survived those events, that isn't my point. know your facts before making bold statements like that.

Quote:
Those temps you talk of have occurred in Nevada, and Oregon, where Jacarandas grow just fine. Again, if locations in those states can grow Jacarandas, them Houston, and New Orleans would grow them easily. A piece of cake.
the ones you speak of in Oregon and Nevada probably live at lower elevations where the temperatures dip into the teens very rarely. how abundant are Jacaranda in Oregon and Nevada and at what elevation are they seen growing at?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
after less than a minute of looking:
Houston 19°F in 1996
New Orleans 16°F in 1996
probably others as well...
the Jacaranda may have survived those events, that isn't my point. know your facts before making bold statements like that.
The central core areas of those cities, along with sectors in proximity to the coast, did not reach teens at all; only the outer airports of those cities did.

Jacaranda mimosifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article says that Jacarandas can survive brief dips to 10F. In that case, Houston and New Orleans can be planting them like weeds.

Quote:
the ones you speak of in Oregon and Nevada probably live at lower elevations where the temperatures dip into the teens very rarely. how abundant are Jacaranda in Oregon and Nevada and at what elevation are they seen growing at?
Do you know how cold those states can get? Even the warmest parts of Nevada, for instance, have reached single digits. Yet they grow jacarandas in the state.

Houston and New Orleans also very rarely go into the teens, as of the end of the 80s freeze; its very rare for both cities, and surrounding areas near the coast, to have a winter min below the upper 20s lately.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Jacarandas grow well in many Oceanic climates. They are probably the most outstanding tree for a flowering display here, when they flower for about 6-8 weeks during January/February.

If they grow in Oregon, it must be in the southern/coastal areas. A visitor from Portland was staying at the neighbours during January, and was quite taken by the Jacaranda display -she said she hadn't seen them in Portland.

Can only find one Jacaranda photo in my collection, and even then, it's only accidental I think it was meant to be a bee swarm photo -not a great success.
Attached Thumbnails
Climate Battle: Newcastle, Aus vs Charleston, SC-img_0538.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 04-20-2015 at 01:14 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Jacarandas grow well in many Oceanic climates. They are probably the most outstanding tree for a flowering display here, when they flower for about 6-8 weeks during January/February.

If they grow in Oregon, it must be in the southern/coastal areas. A visitor from Portland was staying at the neighbours during January, and was quite taken by the Jacaranda display -she said she hadn't seen them in Portland.
Yes, and even those parts of Oregon see enough cold to give those plants trouble. Never mind Nevada, where even the warmest parts have seen single digits.

Again, there is nothing stopping Houston and New Orleans from growing Jacarandas like weeds, especially in these recent times, where temps of both cites rarely bottom out below upper 20s.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:47 AM

680 posts, read 649,109 times
Newcastle without a doubt... Much more comfortable averages for the year. Charleston's summers are trash, way too rainy and hot. I don't necessarily like Newcastle's climate but it still looks better than the Southern United States's climate as a whole, especially the coastal locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.