Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Melbourne, Australia
A 3 4.69%
B 9 14.06%
C 8 12.50%
D 4 6.25%
F 40 62.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Like you, I was comparing Melbourne to where I live (NYC) when I was trying to assign a letter grade. Here, the comparison is much less clear and will come down to personal preferences. If you absolutely hate winter and want to minimize freezing weather as much as possible, than Melbourne is a better choice. Summers also get a bonus for mildness. However if you like (or at least tolerate) real winters and prefer warmer, more reliable summers then NYC wins. NYC also has slightly more sunshine (though I'm not sure about the reliable figures for both cities).

I am a bit envious of Melbourne's palm trees though.
I think the comparison of NYC and Melbourne isn't that close. Only 4 months in NYC are actually hotter than Melbourne, and only for half of that period is that is it a major difference (and half of the residents find it unpleasant). Part of the rest of the year NYC is much colder. Melbourne's sunshine is about 20% lower, but at least sunshine is concentrated in the summer months when people would likely appreciate it.

So unless you absolutely need the most sunshine possible and really like hot summers as well are ok with a cold winter to have a short but somewhat hot-ish summer, Melbourne is the warmer, and perhaps better climate. Melbourne's annual average is about 5°F warmer.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think the comparison of NYC and Melbourne isn't that close. Only 4 months in NYC are actually hotter than Melbourne, and only for half of that period is that is it a major difference (and half of the residents find it unpleasant). Part of the rest of the year NYC is much colder. Melbourne's sunshine is about 20% lower, but at least sunshine is concentrated in the summer months when people would likely appreciate it.

So unless you absolutely need the most sunshine possible and really like hot summers as well are ok with a cold winter to have a short but somewhat hot-ish summer, Melbourne is the warmer, and perhaps better climate. Melbourne's annual average is about 5°F warmer.
Well, like I said, if you hate winters you will like Melbourne more. I can enjoy winters up to a point and I appreciate sunshine in during the entire year. In fact I think it is even more valuable during the cold season.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Well, like I said, if you hate winters you will like Melbourne more. I can enjoy winters up to a point and I appreciate sunshine in during the entire year. In fact I think it is even more valuable during the cold season.
Melbourne is somewhat gloomy in winter, but probably less so than places like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Rochester.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Melbourne is somewhat gloomy in winter, but probably less so than places like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Rochester.
Yeah, it seems more balanced in terms of sunshine than American maritime cities like Seattle and Portland which are very gloomy during the winter and very sunny in the summer. Though I would say that the relative lack of sunshine is Melbourne's weakest point. I gave it a B but in retrospect it probably should have been a C.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
For me, whenever I look at a climate, the first thing I look at are its winters or coldest months of the year. If the averages are somewhat mild and frosts are rare to non existent, then that makes me very happy regardless of how cool the summers are. I absolutely more than anything else in the world can't stand snow and frosts and if I never had to see another snowflake again I'd be the happiest person in the world.
Melbourne's winters are something to be envied for anyone living in Canada.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Yeah, it seems more balanced in terms of sunshine than American maritime cities like Seattle and Portland which are very gloomy during the winter and very sunny in the summer. Though I would say that the relative lack of sunshine is Melbourne's weakest point. I gave it a B but in retrospect it probably should have been a C.
Yes, Melbourne summers aren't exactly a sun-fest, expect to see significant cloud on at least half the days (especially in the morning).

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
It's easy to find, just type in "Limewire LOL" into Google and hit 'I'm feeling lucky' and it'll come up.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 AM

193 posts, read 376,848 times
C, close to a D.

Summers are usually nice but a bit unpredictable. Summer nights are a little cool, winters are crap. I'd prefer warmer winters (like Sydney) or much colder with snow. Sunshine and rainfall totals could be better. And 25 people have given it an F. Looks like someone seems hell-bent on giving it a poor reputation...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Lol, the poll got Sabbed 26 times ?!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM

813 posts, read 951,354 times
Having lived here for over 30 years I have given Melbourne's climate a B.

To live and work in I find it a very pleasant climate with a distinct 4 seasons although we do miss out on snow in the winter which I can live without, (Ski fields are only a 2 hour drive away if you like snow skiing).

Sunshine has been down the past 12 months with us only getting 2132.4 hours of sun (March 2010 to Febuary 2011).

This is coming off our wettest summer on record which has kept the sun away and over the past 10 or so years I would think the annual average would be around the 2500 mark which is acceptable for myself.

Melbourne's climate cops a bad wrap from people in other parts of Australia but when they actually spend some time here they can be pleasantly suprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather