Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,895,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So if English grass was brought here it would like be more likely to stay green in the winter than our grass, since English grass is more adapted to cool weather while ours is adapted for hot weather?
It would burn up with the high solar incidence and temps consistently above 80. Have you ever noticed how coarse the grass is in FL? The grass in England is finer leaf variety. And yes, it would likely stay greener in winter, though not as green as England. I was floored by how greeen England looks from the air, even in winter. Beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,349,880 times
I have no spring photos to post but I went through some I took from last year. Was from April 23. Spring came early that year. So I'm post two from last year.

Looks so different than what it is now. Only a few more weeks...
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-spring2010.jpg   Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-buds.jpg  

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,628,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I have no spring photos to post but I went through some I took from last year. Was from April 23. Spring came early that year. So I'm post two from last year.

Looks so different than what it is now. Only a few more weeks...
Nice pictures. Just as I suspected, the spring colours are more concentrated over there with daffodils in bloom and some trees in what looks like full leaf at the same time. Here there'd be a few weeks' gap in between. Some of the south-facing daffodils here have had their month or so and are already starting to die off, and I doubt there'll be any left by April 23rd.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,349,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Nice pictures. Just as I suspected, the spring colours are more concentrated over there with daffodils in bloom and some trees in what looks like full leaf at the same time. Here there'd be a few weeks' gap in between. Some of the south-facing daffodils here have had their month or so and are already starting to die off, and I doubt there'll be any left by April 23rd.
Yea, spring comes fast here. But that spring was a bit faster than most. We had a week of weather with highs in the mid 70s with one day hitting 90°F the first week of April. That triggered everything to start blooming at once. By the second week of May, the tree leaves were turning a darker summer color and the weather pattern was summerish.

Another photo taken the same day showed daffodils flowers dying off. Daffodils are probably blooming in NYC right now.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM

14,312 posts, read 14,580,669 times
Hmmm, wish I had a camera so I could show how it isn't progressing here! Cold today, in the 20's so no melting of the snow we got this week!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM

497 posts, read 1,086,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Great pics, Tenessessee is a good week or two ahead of us.

These are from last week:

It's gotten a bit greener since then (minus the trees), almost all the grass is green, and there's a larger variety of flowers as opposed to one.

As for the weather we've been above average overall, hit 80 last week but today we had a mix of rain and sleet and a moderate thunderstorm (our first of the season) that ended less than 30 minutes ago and left hail/sleet on the cars and caused alarms to go off. So basically it's been a roller coaster which is to be expected.
The sky looks more like a hazy summer day than late winter or early spring. Is it due to the time of day or is it actually that colour?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,811,492 times
Cherry blossoms are blooming all over around here. Temperatures are below normal right now though. Currently 44 degrees, which is two degrees less than January's average high. We should be about 10 degrees warmer than that right about now.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,005,309 times
Spring came to coastal S. Texas back in February. By the end of last month, everything had greened up and looking healthy. Of course, the palm trees stayed green all winter

Ian

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,980,370 times
I took this picture 30 minutes after it started. Right now it's falling at about 2 inches an hour. Isn't spring great!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-snow-3-27-11.jpg  

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,895,729 times
Despite the fact that the last 4 days have averaged 8 degrees below normal, Spring is moving along here. I took these photos over the weekend.

Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-northernmagnoliarittenhouse.jpg

Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-delanceystreet.jpg

Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-104.jpg

Spring 2011 photo thread AND how is spring progressing in your area?-rittenhouse.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather