Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,244,325 times

Advertisements

Not very spring-like down in parts of the south today. Temperatures in Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Charleston, Wilmington, Savannah, etc are 20-30 F below average. Current temperature in Myrtle Beach is the same as here, 41 F. Columbia's high today so far is only 43 F. Charleston and Savannah are sitting around 50 F.

Here in NW New Jersey, its been cold the past several days with highs struggling to reach 40 F. Snow is still on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Here in NW New Jersey, its been cold the past several days with highs struggling to reach 40 F. Snow is still on the ground.
Wow still have snow?!

I've seen some tiny colored buds on trees. Probably triggered by the longer daylight and are just waiting for warmth. Once it gets warm everything will open up fast. Like last April.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 PM

650 posts, read 1,329,282 times
There's a significant amount of trees blooming, not quite at Philly's level yet (based on the pics) but I say give it a week or less. I hope the recent lows below freezing didn't slow Spring's progression, some bushes/shrubs/smaller trees started getting leaves way back in late February but 2 nights in the low 20's sort of ruined that (not all but some).

Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
I'm seeing lows forecast in the 30s starting Thurs. Hopefully that should help some help sprout out.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,356,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
The sky looks more like a hazy summer day than late winter or early spring. Is it due to the time of day or is it actually that colour?
It does look a bit hazy, however it was 80 F (26.7 C) that day so there may have been a little haze, I don't quite remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
There's a significant amount of trees blooming, not quite at Philly's level yet (based on the pics) but I say give it a week or less. I hope the recent lows below freezing didn't slow Spring's progression, some bushes/shrubs/smaller trees started getting leaves way back in late February but 2 nights in the low 20's sort of ruined that (not all but some).
Yes, I like this time of year when the whole landscape changes so rapidly.

This is from last Friday (3/25):

It seems like the planted trees bloom earlier than the natural trees, no matter how big they are. They can be the same size and across the street from each other but the one which was obviously planted will bloom earlier. I wonder why that is.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wow still have snow?!

I've seen some tiny colored buds on trees. Probably triggered by the longer daylight and are just waiting for warmth. Once it gets warm everything will open up fast. Like last April.
Yep. Much of it has melted, but there's still large areas of snow cover. Even more in the county south and east of here. I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow.

No buds or any sign of spring here yet. Looks like the rest of the week will be cold and wet with some more snow possible, although nothing like last week which shut down schools and caused accidents. Hard to believe that a week from now last year was nearly 90 F!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,644,765 times
Total snow cover here! I had total snow free yard Tuesday, then came Tues. night into Wednesday and 8-10" of snow.

Now the cold has set in and it is not melting. High today was 31 and overnight low will be single digits. Last year on this date it was normal, 46 and no snow!

Funny thing is, north of me in Upper Michigan, not much snow on the ground! My sister says she has grass to look at, me not right now!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,731,077 times
Spring is in full swing here. We've been having highs in the 50s and even a couple of days in the 60s earlier this week with no overnight frost at all. Cherry trees are in full bloom and there are flowers everywhere

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,255,682 times
We have not had too much progress since I posted those pics several days ago, as after that our temperatures went below average and it was overcast and rainy for several days. Today was sunny and near 70° and seems like that really opened things up a little more, but for the next 4 days here, more rain and below average temps forecasted with highs only in the 50s with rainy conditions. Its good though because the slower things are, the less chance of things being damaged by unusually cold weather. We had a light frost last night (which was the first in about 3 weeks), as skies were clear, temps in 30-35 range, but nothing was damaged.

Clouds prevail tonight with rain moving in here shortly, so no chance of frosts tonight or the next several days for that matter.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Potential snowstorm here in the northeast late this week. Snow is forecasted for my area, but no watches or advisories have been issued. Many places are under winter storm watches, including parts of New Jersey.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an April surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather