Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM

15 posts, read 41,821 times

Advertisements

B+. If you don't like rain, go to Las Vegas or Phoenix. If you like it green and tropical and Hawaii looking, it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Hilo has twice as much precipitation as even the rainiest cities in the lower 48. It is is one of the least sunny places in country, with only 41% sunshine of possible. (That fewer percent than in NYC in its cloudiest month.) Hilo has only 36 clear days in an average year. Also it has on average 278 rainy days in a year.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Hilo has twice as much precipitation as even the rainiest cities in the lower 48. It is is one of the least sunny places in country, with only 41% sunshine of possible. (That fewer percent than in NYC in its cloudiest month.) Hilo has only 36 clear days in an average year. Also it has on average 278 rainy days in a year.
Where else in the lower 48 can you find lush tropical rain forest and not pay any water bills? It's also beautiful warm rain; sunshine is extremely overrated in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Where else in the lower 48 can you find lush tropical rain forest and not pay any water bills? It's also beautiful warm rain; sunshine is extremely overrated in my opinion.
It doesn't really matter what kind of rain it is. There are very few outdoor activities that are suitable for any kind of rain (for me, anyway).

See, human beings can control their environment to an amazing degree. Cold? Put on some clothes, drink a hot beverage, or just go inside. Hot? Do the opposite, or turn on AC. Rain is much harder to deal with. I HATE umbrellas. I get annoyed by rain even when I'm in a car (foggy windows, squeeky wipers, poor visibility, and so on). Lack of sunshine? Absolutely impossible to deal with. There is NOTHING you can do to replicate sunshine. If it is gloomy outside, I will be in a different state of mind than if it were sunny, whether I'm inside or outside, and no amount of clothes, space heaters or beverages will do diddly squat to change that.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter what kind of rain it is. There are very few outdoor activities that are suitable for any kind of rain (for me, anyway).

See, human beings can control their environment to an amazing degree. Cold? Put on some clothes, drink a hot beverage, or just go inside. Hot? Do the opposite, or turn on AC. Rain is much harder to deal with. I HATE umbrellas. I get annoyed by rain even when I'm in a car (foggy windows, squeeky wipers, poor visibility, and so on). Lack of sunshine? Absolutely impossible to deal with. There is NOTHING you can do to replicate sunshine. If it is gloomy outside, I will be in a different state of mind than if it were sunny, whether I'm inside or outside, and no amount of clothes, space heaters or beverages will do diddly squat to change that.
I understand your sunshine dilemma. Maybe I'm just obsessed with greenery (the severe drought we're having isn't helping either lol), also I always found rain to be more beautiful then sunshine ( I live in Texas) .

Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:

See, human beings can control their environment to an amazing degree. Cold? Put on some clothes, drink a hot beverage, or just go inside. Hot? Do the opposite, or turn on AC. Rain is much harder to deal with. I HATE umbrellas. I get annoyed by rain even when I'm in a car (foggy windows, squeeky wipers, poor visibility, and so on). Lack of sunshine? Absolutely impossible to deal with. There is NOTHING you can do to replicate sunshine. If it is gloomy outside, I will be in a different state of mind than if it were sunny, whether I'm inside or outside, and no amount of clothes,
space heaters or beverages will do diddly squat to change that.
Fully agree. Rain can be annoying in so many ways. Sunshine is even more important a factor for me - as you say, gloom outside sets the mood for me.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I understand your sunshine dilemma. Maybe I'm just obsessed with greenery (the severe drought we're having isn't helping either lol), also I always found rain to be more beautiful then sunshine ( I live in Texas) .
Well Houston is one of the wetter parts of Texas. I doubt drouight is a frequent occurance there?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Well Houston is one of the wetter parts of Texas. I doubt drouight is a frequent occurance there?
We've had like 2 inches in the last 3 months...only 15% of the average

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 41,821 times
Hilo tends to have sunny mornings, partly cloudy afternoons and rain in the eves as the clouds collect and get pushed over the mountain. All of the windward sides of the island are about the same. At SOME point in the day there may be some rain, but it doesn't rain all the time. No place does. The "stats" are being mis-interpreted.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I know I get affected by the lack of sunshine, so that climate would be a big F for me...even if it is on my favorite chain o'islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather