Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Well Houston is one of the wetter parts of Texas. I doubt drouight is a frequent occurance there?
They are droughting right now...bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM

121 posts, read 342,210 times
The absolute best climate in HI has to be Lanai City: Just like Hilo, never gets very hot or cold. Like Hilo, in Lanai City it's rare to have an overnight low (any time of year) of 70 or above, it's cool (but not too cool) almost year round. This month they've had 63 degrees, and back in January they had a low of 52. Cold by HI standards, yes, but c'mon...... It sits at 1,600 feet I believe.

The best part is? It only gets about 22 inches of rain a year? You can view historical temperatures/rain for Lanai City, or anyplace in the US at this link:

History : Weather Underground

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

In the winter of 2009, Lanai City actually had 5/6 HIGH temps. in the 60's, fairly unusual for them.
I understand there is not much variety, (and some people like variety), but Lanai City in Jan/Feb is 75/59 and the summer is only 82/66. How can you beat that with only 22 inches of rain a year?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
In the winter of 2009, Lanai City actually had 5/6 HIGH temps. in the 60's, fairly unusual for them.
I understand there is not much variety, (and some people like variety), but Lanai City in Jan/Feb is 75/59 and the summer is only 82/66. How can you beat that with only 22 inches of rain a year?
I like Hilo because of the rain, Lanai City is too dry and cool in the winter for me.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

I hear you Lanai City certainly doesn't have all the greenery that Hilo has. 22 inches of rain a year (about what San Francisco has) is certainly reasonable to me. But 75/59 average in the winter is too cool for you? Wow That's the same temps as Miami in the winter, only w/o the humidity and the rain.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Quote:
I hear you Lanai City certainly doesn't have all the greenery that Hilo has. 22 inches of rain a year (about what San Francisco has) is certainly reasonable to me. But 75/59 average in the winter is too cool for you? Wow That's the same temps as Miami in the winter, only w/o the humidity and the rain.
I don't like Miami winters either lol. Hilo has comfortable night temps (mid 60s*F) and days warm enough for swimming (80*F). We get 50 inches of rain in Houston, but most of it comes in the form of hurricanes .

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
I don’t understand when some people always dislike rain and clouds so much… I saw some recent comments and do not think cloudy/rainy weather has to be so negative and it can be a positive thing plenty of times.

There are plenty of times I like sunny dry weather but there are also plenty of times I like cloudy/rainy weather too. Of course sunny dry weather is great plenty of times but I have to defend cloudy/rainy weather right now!

Some reasons why I like cloudy/rainy weather:

1. Rain is good for air quality, water quality, water resources for a community, agriculture, and trees/vegetation.

2. If the world had rain precipitation disappear everywhere the world would collapse because it would devastate agriculture, devastate trees/vegetation of all types, cause fires everywhere, and also devastate water resources for communities (people need water for drinking, taking showers, etc.).

3. I like the way rain looks like when it falls, the way it sounds, and the way rain smells.

4. Rain can also bring exciting weather variety.

5. Plus, when I see cloudy skies plenty of times I don’t see grey I see the color silver instead and it can look beautiful sometimes with how it looks like.

Anyways these are the reasons why I don’t view Hilo Hawaii weather that negatively. I still give it a B-.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
What a vile place. F

Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I don’t understand when some people always dislike rain and clouds so much
Main reason I don't like rain is because I wear glasses and the rain nakes me unable to see unless I'm constantly wiping my glasses clean. Also, I don't like getting wet in general (save for swimming and showering) and tracking water / mud all through my house and car.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
And without cold snaps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather