Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer: Invercargill, NZ or Victoria, BC?
Invercargill 7 19.44%
Victoria 29 80.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Haha, I had the exact same thoughts! Then I learned that even shows like Seinfield are filmed in LA, a place with 3200 hours which makes even Perth appear sort of cloudy.

I've often said by world standards the US is indeed a sunny place, and the stats seem to back that up. Even an average eastern or southern city gets 2600-2800 hours, higher than most Australian capitals (thought of by people as a 'sunny' country; yes by area, but most populated parts of Oz aren't all that sunny really).

What do you mean Nz is at the 'top' of the cool maritime heirarchy?
Cool west coast maritime climates -UK, BC, PNW, Northwest Europe, Southern Chile. I don't know if northern Portugal is in this group. I would think some NZ climates would have the best overall climate of this group, although others might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Keep in mind here in the Eastern USA people rag that cities like NYC (2700 hours of sunshine annually) or Sumter, SC (3000 hrs of sunshine annually) are "cloudy" compared to the Southwestern USA (Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson...etc) which get closer to 4000 hours of sunshine annually. So much of this is persepective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
The States are spoilt for choice as far as Climate/sunshine goes. I don't think 4000hrs would be to my liking, but 2700hrs sounds almost perfect to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've often said by world standards the US is indeed a sunny place, and the stats seem to back that up. Even an average eastern or southern city gets 2600-2800 hours, higher than most Australian capitals
I remember being very surprised when I first read that the sunniest place in the world was not someone "exotic" like the vast deserts in Africa or Arabia but the American Southwest (Yuma), a region being so close (perhaps in a worldwide sense) to the notoriously cloudy Pacific Northwest. As mentioned before many times on the forums, at least with climactic diversity, there is something to be said about American exceptionalism.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,595,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I remember being very surprised when I first read that the sunniest place in the world was not someone "exotic" like the vast deserts in Africa or Arabia but the American Southwest (Yuma), a region being so close (perhaps in a worldwide sense) to the notoriously cloudy Pacific Northwest. As mentioned before many times on the forums, at least with climactic diversity, there is something to be said about American exceptionalism.
There must be parts of the eastern Sahara that run it close - I'm not sure what places are measuring it there.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, I know the US is 38 times the size of the UK but the amount of microclimates and weather-related records that relatively small fraction of the world's surface holds is amazing, especially considering as well as the sun record it could possible have a dullness record somewhere in the Aleutians, but unless I'm shown proof to the contrary I'm still claiming that our very own Kinlochewe with its 800-and-whatever hours a year is not the world's dullest place but the "currently permanently inhabited place with the fewest recorded sun hours a year regardless of sun blocked by mountains"

Old 04-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Couldn't agree more, I know the US is 38 times the size of the UK but the amount of microclimates and weather-related records that relatively small fraction of the world's surface holds is amazing, especially considering as well as the sun record it could possible have a dullness record somewhere in the Aleutians, but unless I'm shown proof to the contrary I'm still claiming that our very own Kinlochewe with its 800-and-whatever hours a year is not the world's dullest place but the "currently permanently inhabited place with the fewest recorded sun hours a year regardless of sun blocked by mountains"
For uninhabited locations, some sun maps show (speculate?) areas in the southern oceans as well as the far north Atlantic (possibly others I can't remember) with < 500 hours annually.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
For uninhabited locations, some sun maps show (speculate?) areas in the southern oceans as well as the far north Atlantic (possibly others I can't remember) with < 500 hours annually.
If Campbell Island and Bjornoya both have around 600 I can believe it. Re. Bjornoya, I haven't looked it up on the map but I was surprised how dull it was considering Longyearbyen has 1300 or so and presumably isn't that far away. I heard once the North Pole is ridiculously overcast, but have never been able to find data.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
If Campbell Island and Bjornoya both have around 600 I can believe it. Re. Bjornoya, I haven't looked it up on the map but I was surprised how dull it was considering Longyearbyen has 1300 or so and presumably isn't that far away. I heard once the North Pole is ridiculously overcast, but have never been able to find data.
This could be helpful, but more detail would be nice. Note the North Pole numbers. It's hard to see how the South Pole averages even 40% cloud cover - would like to know more about the mechanisms that produce this.

Variation of cloudiness with latitude

Some answers about the S Pole in here, but clearly there is a lot to be understood yet.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
I imagine somewhere like Jan Mayen Island must be extremely cloudy but don't know what the sunshine hours are there.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Talking about the sunshine of the US, there's a thread on the NYC forum about how bad the weather is and how horribly dreary and cloudy it is (from 2500 hours!) I've tried telling people there NYC is actually quite good. Helps that I lived in a place quite a bit cloudier (upstate NY) and haven't really visited sunnier places much.

Some people in Massachusetts complain how cloudy it is.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Yes Campbell Island gets something like 650 hours a year, which is pretty paltry. Cloudiness increases rapidly below 40'S in the southern hemisphere. Invercargill gets 1580 and Stewart Island less than 1400. Parts of Tasmania average about 1600 hours, but that equates to about 260 cloudy days and less than 24 clear days a year (about two per month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather