Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer: Invercargill, NZ or Victoria, BC?
Invercargill 7 19.44%
Victoria 29 80.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times

Advertisements

Victoria on all fronts.
The Pacific North-west is one place I could very easily live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
It just occurred to me that this is a climate battle between the worst of NZ and the best of Canada, at least thats what I think of Victoria.I would choose Victoria because ( for Canada) it has mild winters , passable sunshine and is coastal. Does anyone else think this would be the best all round place in Canada climatically?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
It just occurred to me that this is a climate battle between the worst of NZ and the best of Canada, at least thats what I think of Victoria.I would choose Victoria because ( for Canada) it has mild winters , passable sunshine and is coastal. Does anyone else think this would be the best all round place in Canada climatically?
We had an Osoyoos thread a while back, and despite it being too dry for my liking that's my favourite Canadian climate. Proper four seasons without too much extreme heat/cold.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Osoyoos certainly has the nicer summer. I would have thought it sunnier than it is,but Victoria beats it by 150 hours. I think I would still go with Victoria. I just checked the temps for both. Victoria was 7.1C and Osoyoos was 6.1C at 11 am. Mild climate is certainly a relative term.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
As far as climates go, Victoria has arguably the nicest climate of any city in Canada. Some of the gulf islands might have slightly more sunshine or slightly warmer winters but not by much and not many people live there.
In NZ, is Stewart Island/Rakiura much worse climatically than Invercargill? I know there is a small settlement on the island.
It's true that I was trying to compare the worst of NZ to the best of Canada and even though it seems Victoria has won out in the poll, it really says how climatically horrible in general Canada is especially considering the size of the country. I must admit that I feel a bit shortchanged having been born and lived here due to the terrible weather and hope one day I can move to a much nicer clime

Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
As far as climates go, Victoria has arguably the nicest climate of any city in Canada. Some of the gulf islands might have slightly more sunshine or slightly warmer winters but not by much and not many people live there.
In NZ, is Stewart Island/Rakiura much worse climatically than Invercargill? I know there is a small settlement on the island.
It's true that I was trying to compare the worst of NZ to the best of Canada and even though it seems Victoria has won out in the poll, it really says how climatically horrible in general Canada is especially considering the size of the country. I must admit that I feel a bit shortchanged having been born and lived here due to the terrible weather and hope one day I can move to a much nicer clime
I don't have any stats for Stewart Island, but it's said to be warmer and sunnier, but wetter than Invercargill. The main settlement is protected from the south , so that helps. The only time I went there ( for 1 week ), it was sunny and warm.Well worth a visit, nothing but bush and birds. Good fishing too, even managed to shoot a couple of deer that came down to the beach.

I spent a couple of weeks on Vancouver Island ( Parksville and Nainamo?) in the 80's. It was late winter so a bit damp, any fine days in BC were stunners though. A big regret was not doing the West Coast Trail, maybe another time.

It must be a cold snap there at the moment judging by the temps. Autumn at it's glorious best here right now, it's such an amazing time of the year. It makes it hard to go to work.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
I don't have any stats for Stewart Island, but it's said to be warmer and sunnier, but wetter than Invercargill. The main settlement is protected from the south , so that helps. The only time I went there ( for 1 week ), it was sunny and warm.Well worth a visit, nothing but bush and birds. Good fishing too, even managed to shoot a couple of deer that came down to the beach.

I spent a couple of weeks on Vancouver Island ( Parksville and Nainamo?) in the 80's. It was late winter so a bit damp, any fine days in BC were stunners though. A big regret was not doing the West Coast Trail, maybe another time.

It must be a cold snap there at the moment judging by the temps. Autumn at it's glorious best here right now, it's such an amazing time of the year. It makes it hard to go to work.
Sorry, but that doesn't stack up. Must be the locals feeding legends. Annual normals 1971-2000 show Stewart Is site as 0.9C higher for average min, and 0.9C lower for average max - giving it the same annual mean as Invercargill Aero, and about 0.4-0.5C lower than the town. The average rainfall over the entire record from 1914 was 1490mm, much higher than In'gill (1971-2000 mean 1528 cf. 1117 at In'gill). Rain days with >= 1.0mm averaged 195 against Invercargill's 158.

I spent almost 7 whole days there with friends one damp cloudy January years ago (only 127 hours' sun at In'gill, a record low to then). The first 6 days were overcast with periods of rain or showers. It was still cloudy on day 7 when leaving, but better at Invercargill. No wonder the pub. was popular that week!

Given the rapid increase in cloudiness from southern NZ down to Campbell Is, the stats. aren't really surprising. A good place for birds and bush though.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You must be an indoor person.
Yes, during bad weather. If it's good then I'm outside a lot

Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 AM

Some Invercargill Aero statistics - sunshine from 1932 and rainfall 1939.

Running averages (ending March 2011) Sunshine: 1647hrs and rainfall 1090mm.

Sunniest year: 2008 with 1907 hours including a record January high of 287.
The last time a yearly total of under 1600 hrs recorded was in 1991 (1582 hours) and since then has been considerably above average with five years exceeding 1800 hours since 1999.

Cloudiest year: 1983 with 1332 hours including 84 during March and September 90.

Driest year: 1947 with 782mm. Last year to record a yearly total less than 1000mm occurred in 1990 with 988mm.

Wettest year: 1972 with 1447mm, most of it falling during January, March to June and September - October.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That's Oban, permanent population of around 400, you're referring to.
It's on the north-facing side of the island so is usually sheltered from the south-westerlies but not so during 'wet' NW airflows.
When it’s raining in Milford Sound, it’s raining at Stewart Island but over Invercargill thick high cloud. When the approaching ‘front’ gets closer rain spreads into Invercargill.
Tiwai Point - right on the exposed part of the south coast - opposite Bluff, about 20 km south of Invercargill, gets a bit more rain on average - around 1115mm.
Oban (1914-1975) averaged 1471mm and the current site (1975 – open) 1557mm.
Bluff Reservoir (1935-1966) 995mm and Stirling Point (1949-1986) 1052mm. The reason for Bluff’s slightly lower rainfalls is because of the hill in the background, the township is on the north-facing side, which gives it a bit of shelter from the showery southwesterlies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather