U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM

4,445 posts, read 9,103,255 times

Advertisements

Which place seems to have a better summer?

Just going by mean monthly temps… Sydney is clearly the colder of the two, averaging only 70 F in Dec…72 F in January…and 71 F in August, no doubt only in the most urban areas of the city. Many seem to complain about the changabilty and cool temps of Sydney in summer.

On the other hand, Rome has less variability it seems in summer (Mediterranean climate) and is warmer than Sydney in summer...averaging 71 F in June...76 F in July...and 75 F in August. Rome is also warmer annually.

I think Sydney would be more interesting in terms of changeable weather based on what some of the locals have written …but would the cool summers be worth it compared to the sun and stabilty of a summer in Rome?

Rome, Italy:
ROMA/FIUMICINO, ITALY Weather History and Climate Data

Sydney, Australia:
http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...1202+0011287G2

Forget the poll...tell us why/why not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM

10,565 posts, read 13,176,748 times
For summers, I like Rome better. It's warmer temperatures and the Mediterranean sea is warmer than the ocean off of Sydney in the summer. For year round, I like Sydney better for warmer winters and more stable climate in general temperature wise.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM

504 posts, read 948,758 times
I think Sydney has the warmer annual temp by almost 2 C. I would have thought Sydney would have a slight edge in sunshine too. I think the summer rain Sydney gets, seals it for me. I prefer a good rainfall total during the summer. Cloudy days during a Sydney summer are fine by me, I always feel like the sun there is a bit too glaring.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 PM

24,682 posts, read 48,297,238 times
Neither climate is bad, but I rate Sydney one of the best climates in the world (I think it's climate is underrated, if anything). It's not too gloomy (sunshine totals ranging from 2500-2700 hours across the metropolitan area), gets the occasionally torrential downpour/electrical storm which I like, sun tends towards the winter and spring months, and the big one is 'scorchers' (37C/100F+) are considerably rarer here than in Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne. Summer is also seldom unpleasantly cool as it can be in Melbourne.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,951,933 times
Rome definitely has a better summer, at least from my point of view.

Overall they are fairly even across the calendar year. I would prefer Sydney's winters and springs and Rome's summers and autumns (in the hypothetical sense as they'd occur at the same time). In this scenario I could maximise my sunshine. Ironically, sea swimming is best in Sydney in summer/autumn so I'd miss the warmish ocean dips..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM

24,682 posts, read 48,297,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Rome definitely has a better summer, at least from my point of view.

Overall they are fairly even across the calendar year. I would prefer Sydney's winters and springs and Rome's summers and autumns (in the hypothetical sense as they'd occur at the same time). In this scenario I could maximise my sunshine. Ironically, sea swimming is best in Sydney in summer/autumn so I'd miss the warmish ocean dips..
Ocean temps off Bondi and Cottesloe are similar in the summer months. Sydney would have higher humidity, but we have more sun/higher temps to make up for it. I think the sensation of getting chilled after a dip in the ocean would be similar in both.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,163,801 times
Rome's summer. A half-year split would be the best scheme.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,874,432 times
Sydney hands down for me. I like the wide variety of changeable weather especially the downpours that can occur at any time of the year.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,271,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Which place seems to have a better summer?

Just going by mean monthly temps… Sydney is clearly the colder of the two, averaging only 70 F in Dec…72 F in January…and 71 F in August, no doubt only in the most urban areas of the city. Many seem to complain about the changabilty and cool temps of Sydney in summer.

On the other hand, Rome has less variability it seems in summer (Mediterranean climate) and is warmer than Sydney in summer...averaging 71 F in June...76 F in July...and 75 F in August. Rome is also warmer annually.

I think Sydney would be more interesting in terms of changeable weather based on what some of the locals have written …but would the cool summers be worth it compared to the sun and stabilty of a summer in Rome?

Rome, Italy:
ROMA/FIUMICINO, ITALY Weather History and Climate Data

Sydney, Australia:
SYDNEY/K SMITH AUSTRAL, Weather History and Climate Data

Forget the poll...tell us why/why not.
You're really hung up on Sydney's (and SH in general) "cool" summers, aren't you? You're also very fond of making statements that are easily proven to be completely false.

Sydney's climate data is taken from coastal stations (either the airport or observatory). If you look at the data from inland stations the summer temps are actually the same as Rome (and winters are much warmer and sunnier): Climate statistics for Australian locations

No matter which station you look at though, Sydney is much warmer than Rome annually and has the same annual sunshine total (although it is more evenly distributed in Sydney's case) and summer SSTs (but Sydney has far warmer SSTs for the rest of the year): Rome Climate Guide, Italy | World Climate Guide and Sydney Climate Guide, New South Wales, Australia | World Climate Guide

Having said all that though, I personally prefer Rome's summers due to the higher sunshine and longer daylight hours. But if we're talking year-round Sydney wins hands down.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM

15,225 posts, read 14,767,408 times
Sydney - wetter year round and cooler summers. I would probably prefer a Rome winter since its cloudier and cooler than Sydney's, but I find cooler summer weather to be the bigger draw when it comes to comparing climates.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 04-05-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather