Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 08:25 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I honestly think too many people think Tropical means like Singapore or one of those Pacific Atoll's where the record low is like 20 to 21°C
Tropical to me is Cuba south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 08:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Tropical to me is Cuba south.
That's you, the southern 7 counties of Florida (Lee, Hendry, Collier, Monroe, Palm Beach, Broward and Dade) are tropical

Old 11-15-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's you, the southern 7 counties of Florida (Lee, Hendry, Collier, Monroe, Palm Beach, Broward and Dade) are tropical
Keep dreaming bra. Not a chance. But the way things are going the last 9 years i may have to agree with ya if it keeps heating up. All them counties use to see 30's and Hendry has been in the 20's as i may move to that county soon to buy up some homes. I don't count any place that gets in the 40- 30's as pure tropical.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Keep dreaming bra. Not a chance. But the way things are going the last 9 years i may have to agree with ya if it keeps heating up. All them counties use to see 30's and Hendry has been in the 20's as i may move to that county soon to buy up some homes. I don't count any place that gets in the 40- 30's as pure tropical.
Tropical means that all 12 months have mean temps 18°C or higher. Has nothing to do with occasional extremes

Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM

346 posts, read 199,251 times
Quote:
Thank you! I'm glad you see this. Yeah, global warming may push these places like Miami and South Florida into being true tropical in several or more years, but they are not now. I do feel that North America, as I mentioned a few times before on this forum, is plagued by random arctic blasts from Canada due to a polar vortex that can't sit still on the North Pole - and many times splits and falls deeper into the south than it should.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Thank you! I'm glad you see this. Yeah, global warming may push these places like Miami and South Florida into being true tropical in several or more years, but they are not now. I do feel that North America, as I mentioned a few times before on this forum, is plagued by random arctic blasts from Canada due to a polar vortex that can't sit still on the North Pole - and many times splits and falls deeper into the south than it should.
Firebird has never lived in FL so i have no clue why he is fooled into thinking any of FL is pure tropical. We had coconut killing freezes well south of the Tampa area back in 1981 thru 85. When Tampa was 19f it killed coconuts and burned many more in the Ft Meyers area. Tampa has not been close to 19 or 25f since 2010.

If it keeps heating up like it has the last 9 years then i expect coconuts another 100 miles north of the coconut line we have now.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:35 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
All months with a mean above 18c = tropical

Old 11-15-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Firebird has never lived in FL so i have no clue why he is fooled into thinking any of FL is pure tropical. We had coconut killing freezes well south of the Tampa area back in 1981 thru 85. When Tampa was 19f it killed coconuts and burned many more in the Ft Meyers area. Tampa has not been close to 19 or 25f since 2010.

If it keeps heating up like it has the last 9 years then i expect coconuts another 100 miles north of the coconut line we have now.
Exactly. I heard about the 80's and how those polar vortexes f'cked up the south. The citrus industry lost hella $$$ cuz of it! I heard Savannah (not far from my fam is from SC) used to be damn near tropical in vegetation (Charleston and all of Low Country SC too!) and then those cold fronts hit in the 80's - killed just about every subtropical plant or tree except some Sabals and Windmills.

Now Florida, to me, has better weather than NC where I live since all of FL has way more bearable winters IMO. However, to say it compares to places at sea level in the true tropics makes no sense. Yeah, I give Miami credit, it comes close to tropical but not enough for it to be true tropical...at least not yet tho. As you said, the planet heating up and heating up quick!

Old 11-15-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Do you have any data to suggest that Tampico is zone 11B? None of the maps on "the internet" place Tampico in 11b but rather 10b/11a.
All you gotta do is Google, "Tampico Mexico Hardiness Zone" and it will pop as 11B. Even if it was 10B or 11A or whatever - my points still remain valid.

Quote:
You're hung up on the idea that the "true tropics" are immune to polar influence.
LOL! You damn right! No cold hair allowed in the tropics bro! Not at sea level or close to sea level anyway.

Quote:
Townsville, Australia at 19.25*S got down to 45F (-12F departure from average) just this past July. Havana, Cuba also fell to 39F (-25F) in 2010 during the same cold front that impacted South Florida. Cancun, Mexico recorded 50F (-18F). Mazatlan at 23.2*N on the Pacific coast of Mexico recorded 38F (-21F) in 2011 and agriculture was devastated: https://www.reuters.com/article/mexi...28197020110228.
Well seriously though, you do have your super rare abnormalities in the tropics but that is something that happens once like every thousand years or more. Weather and climate is more unpredictable than we admit and climate does change. However, even that being said, Miami is still not tropical. It's subtropical transitioning to tropical, but not quite OFFICIAL tropical. Wait a few years when this planet heats up and they will get there for sure. For the record, the record low for Havana is 43F not 39F, I know it's only a four degree difference but still. That 39F may of been recorded in some highlands near the city or something I guess.

Quote:
Bangkok, Thailand at 13.75*N recorded 61F (-12F) in January of 2016.
Eh, that's not too impressive of a low for Bangkok. I'm pretty sure it's well below average temp but 61 is not exactly too cold for the tropics even close to the equator. Now if gets down to that regularly there, then it's time to worry your a** off.

Quote:
Puerto Maldonado at 12.6*S in the Peruvian Amazon recorded 48F (-14F) and neighboring parts of Acre, Brazil recorded as low as 45F in 2010. Iquitos (capital of the Peruvian Amazon) at 3.74*S recorded 57F (-12F). Santa Cruz in the Bolivian Amazon at 17.8*S and only 1,300 ft elevation recorded 39F. It was cold enough to cause mass fish kills https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100....2010.437.html

"Maybe the most notable fact took place in North South America. The cold reached Amazon
and temperatures felt to as low as 7ºC in towns in the Amazon Forest in the states of Acre
and Rondonia. Temperature even felt in Roraima, where the state capital Boa Vista record
20C (normal lows are 25C) and the wind were blowing from the South. Boa Vista is located
at 2º North of latitude, so the influence of the Antarctic cold blast crossed the Equator
line and reached towns in the Northern Hemisphere. It would be the same of a cold snap
from the Arctic crossing the entire North America continent, the Caribbean and reaching
North Brazil in cities at 2º South of latitude as Santarem, a bizarre situation. "
http://klimarealistene.com/HISTORICA...UTHAMERICA.pdf
Now this is supporting your argument a little bit more. I did not know this. That temperature in the Amazon in the low lands is very crazy but as I said this is an EXTREME abnormality - the ultimate freak of nature. This is something that doesn't happen every year, or every ten years. I will also say, if it reaches below 50F in the Amazon, that's not a good sign at all with this climate change thing.

Quote:
On the opposite end of things, you can't find a "subtropical" climate in the northern hemisphere that has recorded 70F or above as a January mean temperature like Miami has 6 out of the last 20 Januarys. Asuncion does not even make the 64.4F Koppen cutoff for tropical....Miami averages 68F mean temp in January! A brief cold front doesn't change that fact or the fact that Miami is largely dominated by tropical airflow even in winter.
Well, Koppen isn't the best model anyway for climates. Under his system, cities like DC, Baltimore, Boston, Richmond, St. Louis, NYC, and Boston are categorized as 'subtropical' and their winters on average are way too arctic in nature. No diss to that guy but his information is a bit outdated in 2020. This is not to knock any contributions he made or say everything he taught is useless but we need a way better system.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:54 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,176 times
Bermuda would be tropical too if all months are 18C+ according to latest data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather