Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2020, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires and La Plata, ARG
2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Reputation: 2128

Advertisements

Tropical monsoon in my system (W1tm), same as with Koppen's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I would say Miami is on the same level as Asuncion in terms of tropicalness.
Actually is like Asuncion is turning as tropical as Miami. And all that adyacent area of northern Argentina is becoming like south Florida thanks to global warming.
In the last 12 months period Asuncion didn't have a single month with a mean below 18ºC, while Formosa, Argentina, had only one.
https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gclim...s=10&months=12
https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gclim...s=10&months=12

Last edited by marlaver; 11-15-2020 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2020, 04:55 PM
 
30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Reputation: 11984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Bermuda would be tropical too if all months are 18C+ according to latest data.
They have coconuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,547 posts, read 871,176 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They have coconuts.
Do they fruit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
5,737 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Reputation: 2648
South Florida sees cold fronts once every six days on average during winter so its climate genetics are distinctly subtropical.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...203-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Nirvana
346 posts, read 199,251 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
South Florida sees cold fronts once every six days on average during winter so its climate genetics are distinctly subtropical.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...203-story.html
Facts. It's not a true tropical climate as I constantly tell people. Now, I understand why people may think it's tropical because compared to the rest of the lower 48 states, South Florida is 'tropical' by comparison. However, South Florida gets too cold regularly to have a true tropical climate. Someone here mentioned that some city Mexico has lower average lows and it's right below the Tropic of Cancer on the coast. While that person makes a valid point, that city, too, is not tropical in climate either. Not every location between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn is tropical in climate, you can be tropical based on location and not in climate. Bogota, Colombia is in the tropics by location but it's too high in elevation and too cool in temperature year round to have a tropical climate, it has a subtropical highland climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,547 posts, read 871,176 times
Reputation: 993
I think Key West and the other Keys escapes the cold enough to be not to be considered subtropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 01:01 AM
 
Location: MD
5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Reputation: 4091
Tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Reputation: 9169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Facts. It's not a true tropical climate as I constantly tell people. Now, I understand why people may think it's tropical because compared to the rest of the lower 48 states, South Florida is 'tropical' by comparison. However, South Florida gets too cold regularly to have a true tropical climate. Someone here mentioned that some city Mexico has lower average lows and it's right below the Tropic of Cancer on the coast. While that person makes a valid point, that city, too, is not tropical in climate either. Not every location between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn is tropical in climate, you can be tropical based on location and not in climate. Bogota, Colombia is in the tropics by location but it's too high in elevation and too cool in temperature year round to have a tropical climate, it has a subtropical highland climate.
Why is it you don't think a place with a mean temp above 18°C year round isn't tropical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Nirvana
346 posts, read 199,251 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why is it you don't think a place with a mean temp above 18°C year round isn't tropical?
Not really, not in itself at least. Other factors have to be considered. All the months can have highs and lows in the 60's or it could have highs in the 70's and low in the 60's or even 50's. Tropical climates need months that average high temperatures that at least reach the mid-80s. Also, for example, a month can have a high of 80 and low of 50, which the mean of that month is 65 OR a high of 75 with a low of 55.While those temps are fairly on the mild side, a temp is like 50 as an average for a low even in the winter is not considered tropical at all. That being said, I do think it's a decent requirement for a climate to be tropical BUT it shouldn't stop there, you need more requirements to qualify a climate to be tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Nirvana
346 posts, read 199,251 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I think Key West and the other Keys escapes the cold enough to be not to be considered subtropical.
I disagree while I totally understand why you think so. It is a bit warmer than the rest of South Florida. Key West got some decent moderation of temperatures from the warm ocean waters more than the coast of South mainland Florida. Plus their winter average temps are hella mild BUT not much higher than Miami. While the annual mean temp minima is not low as Miami, Key West often gets in the 40's and low 50's every winter (the mean minimum is 48.8F, which occurs in the tropics but more in higher elevations, not on flat islands in the sea). Of course, as Ed Mountain pointed out, a lot of these powerful continental cold fronts do hit Florida. The West Indies do get some slight effects and maybe a super rare cold spell but warm oceans helps filter out a lot of that polar air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top